Thread: Echo & Shelf 8/1/2008

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Echo & Shelf 8/1/2008

I finally got to hike Echo with my friend Karl. It was my first time & Karl's second time (first for the year). We started hiking up the East Rim trail starting around noonish. It was hot out but perfect temperature for the canyon.

At the trail junction for observation point we hiked the east rim trail for about a 1/4 of a mile to the first small "shallow drainage." We followed the drainage & 50 feet beyond the drainage looking for an entrance, but alas all ways included a rappel into echo. We hiked back up to the East Rim Trail and continued another 1-2 minutes until we found another shallow drainage. Hiking another 50 feet beyond we found an easy walk down into the drainage and into Echo.

It is surprising how quickly the walls rise to several hundred (if not thousands) feet. For such a short canyon I was surprised how deep it got.

No ice or snow in the canyon. There was a lot of sand, and all the beta said several cold swims. I encountered nice water temps, and only one swim of under 10feet. Most of the early water was clear, and the later dirty but not smelly. The last water pool was full of water skitter and a decomposing frog. I didn't use or need my wetsuit (though I brought one). I whish I would have saved on the weight and brought a smaller pack, for just water & harness.

All rappels (6 I think?) are under 20ft. Karl decided to hand-line each drop while I, knowing I could hand-line, choose to rap.

We only had to escape one keeper pothole. We used the pothole for practice each using as many techniques as possible: pot shot, partner, running/diving beach whale. A bit over kill but we wanted to practice so it was a good opportunity. Don't worry if you go, the keeper pothole is easily escaped with two canyoneers doing a partner assist.

Found a strange lizard in the canyon with florescent orange/yellow stripes & blue tail. Anyone know what it is.

The Echo chamber is cool. We yelled trying to hear how long the echo would carry. We must have ruined someone
    Attached Images Attached Images             

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

more of echo

Shelf Canyon TR

Shelf Canyon is a non technical canyon. I did some minor up/down climbs, slick rock scrables, and steming to avoid some nast water.

Shelf is locate right after the tunnel on the east side. Park by the second parking lot for the canyon overlook trail and hike down into the drainage there heading north.

It took me 30 minutes round trip

Nice photos! Looks like a fun trip. We're planing on doing echo in a couple weeks. Thanks for sharing.

here are pics of that lizard. It was very small. I saw the blue and thought it was some trash (bread bag twist tie). I got closer to pick it up and noticed it was a lizard. What kind is it?

We thought about licking it for a buzz

If this was in Echo imagine what is in Goose Creek. We should tag along with those frog reaserch guys in to Goose.

Great lizard photos!!! I have seen two of these lizards this season, but they were too quick to get a photo.

Echo is a lot of fun and it looks like you hit the canyon at the right time. Very nice photos.

I think that the lizard you found was in fact a Blue-Tailed Skink... Just a guess though.

Quote Originally Posted by mmac
    I think that the lizard you found was in fact a Blue-Tailed Skink... Just a guess though.
    I think you are right.

Great Photos Echo is on my list of future canyons.
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

Great trip report and pics. :)

Lizard = Western (Great Basin) Skink.

Hey! That looks great. Glad you had a good time. You have been doing a lot of canyons lately.