Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subway, July 20 2008

Subway, July 20 2008

We have been going to Zion as much as possible this year and generally it means leaving SoCal at 4:30am on Saturday morning and getting home late Sunday night for work on Monday.

This was to be another great weekend. But the weather report was not all sunny.

By the time we got to Springdale, into our hotel rooms, got all the noob's equipted at ZAC, permits paid for and lunch, we were off to Key Hole. We parked and everyone was ready to go when one person in the group forgot their wetsuit back at the hotel. Half the group drove back to Springdale and the rest of us hiked to the mouth of the canyon and sat in the shade and waited for the others to return. This took over an hour!

We did not get out of Key Hole until 7:30pm. A group of 9 took about 2 hours of fun chattering and taking pictures. We did not get to eat until 8:30pm. I was so hungry that I went to supper wet and dirty.

Subway on Sunday was great! It was raining on the walk in, but we had a good feeling about the day and knew where we could bail if needed. When we got to the iffy area of the canyon, the sky was solid bright Zion blue! Leaving the Subway, the clouds gathered as the afternoon passed. On the hike out, it started to rain again. This was my 9th trip and the first time that I did not have to wear a hat.

Here are some pictures:

Given the weather report, we decided to get an early start. As you can see, the sun has yet to rise. Interestingly, we did meet another group (3 from Denver) at the same time setting up their shuttle.

The hike to the slick rock was beautiful as the sun began to rise. Just before we got to the slick rock, it started to rain. The other group that had started right ahead of us stopped. The two ladies had decided that they were not going any further given the weather. We adopted the gentleman and off we went across the slick rock.

I think one of the best things about canyoneering is sharing the experience with your friends. I love the smiles!

OK - Love being out there! Check out the view behind me. Spectacular!

Onward we go:

Our new friend:

"OMG!" OK - I can do this!

"So can I"

"Hello down there!" (eating again you notice)

Between the two cameras, there is over 500 pictures of this trip. Most of them are great shots. It is hard to just pick a few.

Time to get wet:

We noticed earlier this year that there is some new debris in the canyon. The debris is changing this canyon section. Part of the swim is now full of sand. It will be interesting to document the change as I know we will be back again soon.

The North Pole

More happy Noobs.

Just like how the new debris is changing the canyon in one section, the old debris is failing and changing the canyon in another section. Someday the log is going to fail. What will happen to the waterfall room?

WoooHoooo!

I stole the camera and took this picture!

Our adopted friend says goodbye and departs. I told him about Bogley and hopefully he will join our fun.

A happy couple. Maybe they will join Bogley as well.

Where do we get to eat?

Break time! Time to eat again.

Dinosaur tracks

The walk out of the Subway is a long walk. The weather began to cool and the walk was pleasant.

We were all back to work on Monday morning.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here are some of my photos from this trip.

You guys are DIEHARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! If only I had the time and energy to do this as often as you. You guys are inspiring. Great photos! I actually like to see how different this looks given the weather conditions.

MMAC - Something tells me you KNOW Ms. Felicia. She's a super special lady. And your photos of the water are phenomenal!!

Thanks! The sky was wonderful! Great to getting some different pictures. This was my ninth time down the Subway and the lighting was completely different from all other trips. The sky was Zion sky blue in the narrows. We were safe.

I can't wait to get out there again.

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    MMAC - Something tells me you KNOW Ms. Felicia. She's a super special lady. And your photos of the water are phenomenal!!
    We do happen to share about %50 of our chromosomes.

Look at those shoes! I need to get in the rental business.

Awesome pics from both of you btw.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wonderful pictures! What camera did you use?

Also, what time of year would you guys suggest to go back and do the Subway again? We want to camp for the weekend so once it cools down would be nice, but we also don't want to have to use wetsuits either?!

The first time I did the Subway it was mid-September and very pleasant.

John shoots with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi and the stock lens. I use a Canon 40D with a 24-70mm F2.8 L-Series lens.

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    Look at those shoes! I need to get in the rental business.

Awesome pics from both of you btw.
    Thanks!

Actually, five of us own our shoes and there are seven personally owned Imlay packs from Tom. (Boys wear red and girls wear teal.)

rivera1181: We like to do the Subway in the heat of the summer. As long as you stay in the water, you can keep cool. I hear that the fall is really nice as the leaves change color. I would want a wetsuit. I get cold. Because there was little sun, I wore a fleece for most of the hike out from the last rappel to the parking lot.

I hope others chime in to answer your question. As check out the beta on the net. Have Fun!

Thanks for the suggestions. We did the Subway back in early May I believe and we did wear wetsuits, we hoping to get away w/o them this time...but now that you mention the leaves changing color and how pretty it is in the fall, hmmm I might just do it then!

Wow, that's the best subway report I've ever seen.

Definitely containing some pics worthy of the image bar.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12790

great pics

thanks felicia,
    now i have some to share with my wife. fyi...all other observers, this kind and fun group adopted me when the others in my party got nervous and turned around on the approach.
    jack

Re: great pics

Quote Originally Posted by jalimoli
    thanks felicia,
    now i have some to share with my wife. fyi...all other observers, this kind and fun group adopted me when the others in my party got nervous and turned around on the approach.
    jack
    Welcome aboard!

Nice shots. Thanks for the TR. I do love the Subway. Is it bad if I have done the hike so many times that I think I could put the photos in order from start to finish? Fun hike, particularly to introduce folks to Zion. Best hike in Zion imho. (Please note I did not say canyon or adventure) BTW, this photo is of a pretty fun little slide. I hope you did it!

-Edit - Nuts, your photo I tried to attach didn't. It is the 14th photo counting backwards from the last photo, I think.

-2nd Edit - the Fifth photo counting backwards from the last is also a fun but fast slide and tail bone buster at that. It's a bit bumpy and it is rock. Best for the young bones and those armoured in a wetsuit. Also, it tends to throw you backwards so wear a pack and/or a helmet to protect your noggin.
    Life is Good

Blog Entries
    hmmm....where the "shower" is located, there is A LOT more sand down there...TONS MORE. I remember in 2003 having to swim up to my chest through that section trying to reach the shower. Hmmm...I wonder if over time that sand gets washed away or if it will permanently change the Subway over time.

When you say the "shower", are you talking about the waterfall just prior to the last hand-line /rap by the nice photo-op pools? Or are you referring to Keyhole falls? Or something else? If Keyhole falls, that changed a couple of years ago when some giant trees fell in and blocked the deep trench just after keyhole leading into the famous subway section. Too bad too. That trench was amazing how straight and level it was. Now it is just filled in with sand. Also, if you are talking about the waterfall just prior to the last rap/hand line, that place fills and empties depending on runoff and flash flooding. At least that is my experience. The first time I went through, the pools and the backtracking to the water fall was a knee deep adventure. A couple of years later, that place was scoured out and the pools were deep enough to cannonball into and it was a full swim to the waterfall. Now they are getting more filled in and shallow again. I love the subtle and dramatic changes in the canyons.
    Life is Good

Looks like TEAM IMLAY GEAR.

Tom must be rolling in the cash
    bruce from bryce

'I used to work for the government; but I was not part of the problem'

I wish I knew how to multi-quote!

Scott: I have seen other people slide in both areas. They were wearing wetsuits and it did look like fun. Not enough fun to outweigh the risk for me. I'm accident prone - no sense looking for trouble.

The first time I did Subway from the top, I fell on the walk out. I fell so hard on a rock that I bounced off and into the water. Everyone said it was spectacular. I know that it was 'shock' that got me to the top of the hill. Otherwise, I would have met Bo for a second time that day.

I bruised the bottom of my butt cheek and 5 days later a 2" x 6" band of bruise appeared at my belt line. Doc said I hit pretty hard and was impressed that I walked out and then sat in the car for 6 hours.

No sliding for me.

Bruce: Gotta support the good guys!!! I try to spend my money with small business anytime I can. No chain food resturants, hotels, etc.

jman: I assume you were speaking of the WaterFall Room. I was cold and hae been back there many times. We sent the Noobs back - cause they have to - and there are some pictures. I will try to post one later tonight.

The Slide

Last time we did the Subway, we saw someone go down the "slide." It looked bumpy and painful... I like having my tailbone intact.