Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Vehicle vs. Roadie News Story

Another Vehicle vs. Roadie News Story

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3948526

Both of these guys are idiots.

Edit: Thought about this a bit more...maybe the guy on the bike was not hanging on to the mirror as being a smart ass as I originally thought. Maybe he was scared $^itless and was trying to keep the truck away as one might do in a panic situation.

I recant my idiocy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Keep your hands to yourself

I dunno. I was driving down past all those bikers on Saturday and the road was very crowded for nearly the entire distance from near Bald Mountain pass down to the Beaver Creek. It was obvious to any driver that this was a large organized event. Many areas along that road there is no shoulder and there was a lot of vehicle traffic in both directions. Some bikers were riding two abreast (maybe just to pass?), and many drivers in wide vehicles just wouldn't slow down when conditions became especially dangerous.

If the guy really swerved at the bikers (and is appears he did) he deserves 10 good whacks with a frame pump. I've come close to being mirrored a number of times while minding my own business and trying to stay out of the way as much as possible and it's very disturbing.

Many riders believe (and it seems to hold true) that if you try and stay close to the edge of the pavement, drivers will try to squeeze close by you, but if you give yourself plenty of room, they won't come so close. Again, it seems to be a correct observation.

Anyway, hanging on the mirror may well have saved the cyclist's life - nobody would do that unless there were no other option.

After watching the completely one sided story and interview of the rider on the news last night I feel a little bad for the driver. The rider that was hit sounded like a total hothead and very likely did something to provoke the driver, who had probably been stuck behind a slow pack of riders for some time which would make any driver angry. None of it justifies the drivers action but I still feel bad for him.
    Just because there is a 3 foot rule doesn't mean a biker is more deserving of the lane than the car, get over to the side and give faster traffic every opportunity to pass, it's just common sense.

The rider that was hit sounded like a total hothead
    I would think most of us would be a bit hot if somebody just tried to run us over and destroyed our $4000 bike. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by UTJetdog
    if somebody just tried to run us over
    I'm sure if he tried, he would have succeeded Again, little slanted story.

Well, he was arrested for Aggrevated Assault...

Well, he was arrested for Aggrevated Assault...
    And deservedly so.

And the rider will get tons of sympathy and get to cry to reporters and everyone will feel sorry for him and completely side with him... when very likely he did some provoking. It is a slanted story. I want to hear an honest statement from the driver, it will never happen so I'm making up my own

Why do you think he provoked the driver? The report said he swerved at several riders before the "mirror hanging" occurred. Granted, news reports are often not very accurate, but what have I missed? What provocation?

I am going to side with fortycal on this. But the driver should never have gone as far as to try and run the guy over.

Why do you think he provoked the driver?
    Because his bike got ran over and it wasn't an accident.

Why do you think a driver would do such a thing without provocation?

Why do you think a driver would do such a thing without provocation?
    Because he was ticked off at having to share the road with over 1000 cyclists and they were slowing him down. I think he simply got mad and overreacted. JMO, just like your provocation theory is just your own opinion.

It would be interesting to read the actual police report. We can probably at least agree on that.

I will say that I've had people swear, curse, and nearly mirror me simply because I was there riding a bike - totally unprovoked except for the fact that I was taking up a little room on the road shoulder. And they had additional lanes to move into. That was not the case on Hwy. 150 last Saturday, no extra lanes and often no shoulder. I didn't get that from a news report - I was there.

Because he was ticked off at having to share the road with over 1000 cyclists and they were slowing him down.
    Ohh, and the cyclist wasn't ticked off? Why is he hanging onto a vehicles mirror in the first place? Keep your toys in the playground

I love how you said he was arrested It's funny how the cops did the right thing when it proves ones point, yet the same ones will slam them at the drop of a hat

When did I ever slam the police at the drop of a hat or otherwise?

Keep your toys in the playground
    A comment like that makes it seem you're just angry at having to share the road with cyclists too. Hmmmm.

A comment like that makes it seem you're just angry at having to share the road with cyclists too. Hmmmm.
    Comments like yours proves your a kid in that playground And, mass and momentum wins If you're dumb enough to break the simple rules of the road, you will end up part of that road I have no problems sharing the road with anyone, I do have a problem with the snobby liberal Yuppies that are found on such toys in the middle of the street. Get a mountain bike and go where you won't have to worry about such vehicles

It would be interesting to read the actual police report. We can probably at least agree on that.
    Yes for sure

Don't get me wrong here, I like bikes. I don't have much use for skinny tires or wearing spandex but I have a smooth tire commuter bike and ride 12 miles round trip to work every once in a while. I have cars honk, people yell and especially great are the diesel trucks that think it's funny to smoke a rider. But I am irritated at the one sided news story and the fact that they pretty much told every driver that it is the law to surrender the road to bicycles.

snobby liberal Yuppie
    Now I've been called a lot of things, but that's a first for any of those terms.

Get a mountain bike
    No road bike here!

Its interesting how one can presume much from behind a monitor, yet be so far off.

And yet another thread comes to a sorry demise with name calling.

[/thread]

No road bike here!

Its interesting how one can presume much from behind a monitor, yet be so far off.
    Yes it is but you did say you were there
    I didn't get that from a news report - I was there
    So are you the driver

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    But I am irritated at the one sided news story and the fact that they pretty much told every driver that it is the law to surrender the road to bicycles.
    Agreed

Now I've been called a lot of things, but that's a first for any of those terms.

And yet another thread comes to a sorry demise with name calling.
    You're welcome

Ohh, it's interesting how one can presume much from a one-sided news story

And yet another thread With 31 posts, you haven't seen anything yet