Thread: Going overboard...

Going overboard...

Granted this has absolutely nothing to do with Utah, but I thought I'd share the first few trip reports and pictures I've put together thus far (on my website, http://www.backcountry-explorer.com) from my recent 45-day roadtrip around Colorado, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon and California.

It was an amazing trip, during which I climbed sixty mountains, including 26 peaks in Colorado, a handful of peaks in the Tetons, quite a few in the Cascades, and a whole bunch in the Sierra.

And living out of my truck, how many showers did I take in those 45 days? Four.

But I'm all clean now, and really unhappy to be back at work...

Adding more pics and TR's daily.

CP

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks! Your site is blocked by IT bastards at my work and now an email has been sent to my boss about me accessing prohibited sites. One day before my annual review! Heh, but your 45 day trip sounds amazing.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Re: Going overboard...

Quote Originally Posted by cp0915
    Granted this has absolutely nothing to do with Utah, but I thought I'd share the first few trip reports and pictures I've put together thus far (on my website, http://www.backcountry-explorer.com) from my recent 45-day roadtrip around Colorado, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon and California.

It was an amazing trip, during which I climbed sixty mountains, including 26 peaks in Colorado, a handful of peaks in the Tetons, quite a few in the Cascades, and a whole bunch in the Sierra.

And living out of my truck, how many showers did I take in those 45 days? Four.

But I'm all clean now, and really unhappy to be back at work...

Adding more pics and TR's daily.

CP
    Welcome back! Sounds like you had an amazing journey!!! Do tell!

Thanks. It truly was an amazing journey. Aside from the mountain adventures, we almost got killed white water rafting (Class V) in Colorado, saw about 7 bears in Wyoming, a ton of bison (in Yellowstone), had a mountain goat follow us up a mountain trail for an hour (looking for handouts, of course) then another waiting outside our tent for food one morning as we slept at the edge of a glacier in the North Cascades, saw a great band (Blue Turtle Seduction) play in Yosemite one night, then attended a poetry reading by a 78-year old Beat icon, the man who originally inspired me to take my mountain adventures to the next level, in Tuolumne Meadows. Great, great times!

CP

Re: Going overboard...

Beautiful pictures Courtney! I was looking for a little inspiration on where to hike this coming weekend!

I think I'm gonna enjoy Cockscomb Peak!
    I'll let you know how I like it!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Thanks. It truly was an amazing journey. Aside from the mountain adventures, we almost got killed white water rafting (Class V) in Colorado, saw about 7 bears in Wyoming, a ton of bison (in Yellowstone), had a mountain goat follow us up a mountain trail for an hour (looking for handouts, of course) then another waiting outside our tent for food one morning as we slept at the edge of a glacier in the North Cascades, saw a great band (Blue Turtle Seduction) play in Yosemite one night, then attended a poetry reading by a 78-year old Beat icon, the man who originally inspired me to take my mountain adventures to the next level, in Tuolumne Meadows. Great, great times!

CP
    WoW! I just read this post! PICTURES????
    Happy you had those wildlife encounters, and of course the adventures sound phenomenal. Near death experiences can be a source of "entertainment?" looking back in your memory books, but I like to avoid them at all cost! Happy you're still among the living!

The beat poet inspiration sounds cool too...what's the guys name?
    I wanna look him up!

Hi Randi,

You'll enjoy Cockscomb. It was mostly easy but it's such a stunning, little peak (and in a sublime environment). While you're nearby, you might as well do Unicorn Peak (consider a rope) and/or Echo Ridge. Great stuff, all around.

Please let me know how it goes.

The Beat poet's name is Gary Snyder. He's terrific.

CP

Looks great. Too bad we missed you on Holy Cross. It turned out to be a good climb.

Been a tough summer for me, so it's nice to see others have been getting out!

I'm sorry we missed you too, Scott. I saw the pictures you posted from your climb with Kessler. It looked stunning.

CP

Hi Randi,

You'll enjoy Cockscomb. It was mostly easy but it's such a stunning, little peak (and in a sublime environment). While you're nearby, you might as well do Unicorn Peak (consider a rope) and/or Echo Ridge. Great stuff, all around.

CP
    Hey CP, I'm looking at route descriptions of Unicorn and I'm only seeing one spot where a rope might be needed. Is this the spot you're thinking of? Everything else is pretty straight forward?

And ~ how far is this point from the summit?

And, you didn't have any problem with bears, right?
    I like bears and all, but I'm not keen on having one poking around my camp spot!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Hi Randi,

CP
    Hey CP, I'm looking at route descriptions of Unicorn and I'm only seeing one spot where a rope might be needed. Is this the spot you're thinking of? Everything else is pretty straight forward?

And ~ how far is this point from the summit?

And, you didn't have any problem with bears, right?
    I like bears and all, but I'm not keen on having one poking around my camp spot!
    Hey Randi,

The part labeled 'hand traverse' is the section you might want a rope for. I didn't use one, but I'm glad I brought a piece of webbing to bring DB across. It's a bulging traverse with exposure.

The rest of the route is straightforward, and fun. Pretty much 3rd class, with a fun (though regrettably short) knife-edge.

From the point where you gain the notch between the north and middle summit, the highpoint is only a few minutes away.

We didn't see any bears on this particular route. But they are around.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum