Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farmer sends message to neighbors with car fence

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Farmer sends message to neighbors with car fence

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/...YCUW0nFeQDW7oF

HOOPER, Utah - A farmer has erected a fence in his backyard made of three old cars sticking up in the air to send a message to new neighbors that he can do whatever he wants on his farm. "This is just a fun way for me to say, 'Hey boys, I'm still here,'" said Rhett Davis. "This is my redneck Stonehenge."

Davis came up with the idea after neighbors who recently moved into homes next to his hayfield complained about his farm.

"The people who bought the homes say, 'Well, we love looking into your yard and seeing the horses and the cattle, but we don't like the flies, and we don't like the mosquitoes,' and when I cut my field to bale it, they say, 'We don't like the dust in the air,' " Davis said.

Davis said he offered to pay half the cost of a fence between his property and the others and to build it. He said his neighbors declined the offer, saying it would block their view.

Neighbors declined to comment to the Standard-Examiner of Ogden.

Davis said after the neighbors declined his offer, he used a backhoe to dig three large holes on the edge of his property, then took three cars that had competed in demolition derbies and planted them nose-first into the ground.

He said the cars were planted out of humor rather than spite. He said it's important that new residents moving into the area realize that Hooper remains a farming community.

The area has grown recently with new residents who desire a country atmosphere but don't want the smells and noises of farm life, Davis said.

"I respect that they're here and spent a lot on their homes, but on the other hand, give me a little bit, too. I've been here since I was 7 years old," he said.

Davis said he doesn't intend to keep the cars up permanently.

"I've talked to my neighbors and worked things out. I really just thought this would be a funny thing to do," he said. "These can come out just as easy as they went in."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Good For Him!

Why do some people move into an area, then complain?

Its like people moving next to the Freeway, then complaining about the noise.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I agree mtnman, when you move in next to a farm what do you expect. You are going to have some smells and noise coming from there it's a farm for hell sakes, the only problem I can see is he didn't put up enough cars.

I think it's great it made national news.

The "Redneck Stonehenge" thing is already played out. Somebody should tell this guy to be a more creative dumbass.

http://richardbarron.net/galleries/sundance/03carhenge/

I love the folks who move into a flood zone and expect us to bail them out. quite often, we do.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    Good For Him!
    Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Somebody should tell this guy to be a more creative dumbass
    I'm sure the media docked it as such...What's the matter Richard, why is this guy a dumbass? Would you be one of those whiny neighbors?

if I were him I'd have moved my silage piles there in stead....MUCH worse smell I have an uncle out there (hooper/roy area) and the newbies got off easy...some of the good ole boys would not have been so amicable

He should "spread some sunshine" around his property.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I'm gonna move to L.A. then complain about earthquakes.

I like this guy, and I think he makes a good point about people moving for a country feel but not wanting the noise and smells of the farm. Good for him!

I only joined this forum so I could complain about you all.

The "Redneck Stonehenge" thing is already played out. Somebody should tell this guy to be a more creative dumbass.

http://richardbarron.net/galleries/sundance/03carhenge/

Richard! Those are GREAT! HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT! Looks as if this was a little more creative? Or at least color coordinated?

Quote Originally Posted by davis_b_1
    I agree mtnman, when you move in next to a farm what do you expect. You are going to have some smells and noise coming from there it's a farm for hell sakes, the only problem I can see is he didn't put up enough cars.

I think it's great it made national news.
    Quoted for agreement with your agreement of his agreement.

I moved to Utah to complain about the polygamists. They ruin my Walmart shopping experience when I get all gussied up to go buy groceries.

It's amazing that when people move to an area (after seeing it and knowing the area) that they then complain and expect changes. I see that all the time, if anybody deserves the "Here's your sign award" it's them

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I'm sure the media docked it as such...What's the matter Richard, why is this guy a dumbass? Would you be one of those whiny neighbors?
    I'm saying that instead of trying to get along with his neighbors, he decided to be the biggest jackass possible, and be a media/attention whore in the process. Right or wrong become irrelevant, since he's so annoying.

Let me add that I AM in the media, and we deal with people like this all the time. The Hatfields and McCoys thing gets old fast.

I'm saying that instead of trying to get along with his neighbors, he decided to be the biggest jackass possible, and be a media/attention whore in the process. Right or wrong become irrelevant, since he's so annoying.
    By reading the article, I take it that he did try to get along with the neighbors, he said he would pay for half of a fence and install it, and they refused. That to me sounds like he tried to get along with them. It is the neighbor that is being difficult.

They should have found a different piece of land to move to

Quote Originally Posted by davis_b_1
    By reading the article, I take it that he did try to get along with the neighbors, he said he would pay for half of a fence and install it, and they refused. That to me sounds like he tried to get along with them. It is the neighbor that is being difficult.
    seriouosly- what more could you ask him to do? he tried to be a good neighboor, but when all the response you get is more whinning...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

I'm sure the media docked it as such...What's the matter Richard, why is this guy a dumb ass? Would you be one of those whiny neighbors?
    Right or wrong does not become irrelevant. Only to those who have no logical argument. That is a statement made by someone who doesn't have anything to back up his point. Right and/or wrong is the whole point here. People buying property without doing research and then complaining about something that was there long before they got there? C'mon that is so out of line. Also the redneck is not the dumb ass here. The people who bought this property without proper research are the dumb asses.

Why should he "try to get along with his neighbors" when they are the ones who bought property that already was subject to the things they are complaining about. That is so much B.S. Why would you want to even try to get along with people like this. I am all for getting along with your neighbors. But it is a two way street. I think it should be more that "they" should try to get along with him. He was there first. If you don't like what you moved in to then maybe you shouldn't have moved there in the first place. Sometimes trying to get along with people will end up hurting you in the end. People will push you around as far as you let them. You need to stand up for yourself and your rights or you will be taken full advantage of. I say stand up for yourself and your rights. To hell with your neighbors if their not neighborly to you. What comes around goes around.

I applaud this guy. Not only am I applauding him I have my lighter held high asking for an encore. I think he has made his point and did it humorously.

And the whole fence issue...good hell...whoever wants the fence should be the one who buys it and installs it. That way it is your fence to do what you want with and everyone else must leave it alone.

Being a Professional Land Surveyor I deal with issues or should I say attitudes similar to this all of the time. It just baffles me how stupid people really are when it comes to buying a building lot. Seriously, one of the most important investments you can make and one of the least researched. Also how so many people in this area are always looking for someone else to blame or pay the bill. Some people just don't want to take any personal responsibility anymore.

A similar situation happened here in the small subdivision that I live in. We had a ground water issues and several homes had basement flooding. The neighbors were all pissed wanting the developer or the city to pay for damages and solution. They all claimed "No one told us". They all got mad at me when I said publicly that I had done my research and found out that this area had ground water issues in the past and that "No one had to tell me" either.

God how I hate stupid people.

Ooh, ooh that smell
    Can't you smell that smell?
    Ooh, ooh that smell
    The smell of death surrounds you.

GO REDNECK GO!!!