Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watchmen Trailer... WOW!

Watchmen Trailer... WOW!

Anoyone else as excited as me to see this movie?

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Oh and just in case you didn't know about who they even are. There is a nice summary on the wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons. Originally published by DC Comics as a monthly limited series from 1986 to 1987, it was later republished as a trade paperback,[1] which popularized the "graphic novel" format. To date, Watchmen remains the only graphic novel to win a Hugo Award,[2] and is also the only graphic novel to appear on Time Magazine's 2005 list of "the 100 best English-language novels" published since the founding of the magazine in 1923.[3]

Watchmen is set in 1985, in an alternate history United States where costumed adventurers are real and the country is edging closer to a nuclear war with the Soviet Union (the Doomsday Clock is permanently set at five minutes to midnight). It tells the story of a group of past and present superheroes and the events surrounding the mysterious murder of one of their own. Watchmen depicts superheroes as real people who must confront ethical and personal issues, who struggle with neuroses and failings, and who

I'm really looking forward to it. I've never been a graphic novel fan, comics have never, ever done anything for me, and superhero movies leave me cold. (What, super powers? Bah!) In fact, I never even bother watching them.

This one (in graphic novel form), was loaned to me by a friend in 1989 as I was languishing in the hospital for a week, recovering from a nasty bout of mono. And it was amazing! I read it again a couple of years ago (we had long since bought it ourselves) and it was still great.

Yup, looking forward to the movie...

I've never had mono, so probably wouldn't enjoy this.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    I've never had mono, so probably wouldn't enjoy this.

Well, I don't think the enjoyment had anything to do with the mono, per se. It just kept me flat on my back while I read something I normally wouldn't have!

Bump... Did anyone watch it this weekend?

*spoilers*****

I thought it was simple amazing. I loved every minute of it and found it an exact replica of the comic. My wife was bored out of her mind and hated it with a passion.

I thought they really did Manhatten perfect. His godlike, uncaring, indifference of the human species is exactly how I pictured it. The scene, where he just stood there as the Comedian blew away his pregnant girlfriend sent chills up my spine.

They also seemed to capture the "cheese factor" of the non super heroes perfectly IMO. They were all so flawed and easy to relate to. The Comedian was done perfectly IMO. My only complaint was Ozzy. While playing the character perfectly, I was hoping for someone more of a "pretty boy". Something closer to Dr Manhatten's perfect physique, (but only in the face) symbolizing the epitome or what a human can ascribe to. He seemed aloof enough, but not nearly as I pictured him ready the graphic novel. They even got president Nixon done perfectly.

My wife's review would be: Super boring, pacing extremely slow, still having flashbacks 2 hours into the movie, not enough action, saw way too much blue cock, I hated watching dogs eat a little girl. Wayyyy to dark and really no point to the entire movie. I don't believe that an omniscient god would not love us, yeah there are very bad people but there are also way more good people.

Curious as to what others thought.

/Rant on

If you have small children, do not take them to movies like this. Don't be a cheap jackass and find a babysitter. I wanted so bad to punch the couple in the face who expose their 5 year old to stuff like this. Then the couple in the corner with the screaming baby every time something went "boom". WTF? And lastly, if you're offended by something in the movie and decide to walk out. Please do so quietly instead of yelling at the other people who choose to stay and watch a movie they paid for. Yelling "anyone who stays and watches this fornication is going to hell" really does nothing for your cause.

/Rant off
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Didn't see the movie, but have to comment on your Rant. I agree 100% with you. That is the sole reason I stopped going to the theaters now. I just can't stand the babies, the loud eating fat asses stuffing their wide gape holes with popcorn and chips (even though they could use losing about 100 lbs) and stinky ass people in the theater! Besides all the fan boys yelling and hooing at the cool parts of the movies.

I am perfectly fine with my 52 inch 1080p blue ray now

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    /Rant on

If you have small children, do not take them to movies like this. Don't be a cheap jackass and find a babysitter. I wanted so bad to punch the couple in the face who expose their 5 year old to stuff like this. Then the couple in the corner with the screaming baby every time something went "boom". WTF? And lastly, if you're offended by something in the movie and decide to walk out. Please do so quietly instead of yelling at the other people who choose to stay and watch a movie they paid for. Yelling "anyone who stays and watches this fornication is going to hell" really does nothing for your cause.

/Rant off
    Haven't seen it yet. Of course I read the book, some 20 years ago (and a few times since), but it was drill weekend and I was just too busy. I have the boy for the next couple night so it looks like I'll have to wait till Wednesday evening...

And +1 on the rant. Anyone who can read and who bothers to read a review will know there is male nudity and pretty dark subject matter here.
    Silly judgmental christian this movie is not for you!

Me and my wife saw it and both thought it was done perfectly. Best advice I can give to anyone though is DO read the graphic novel before seeing the movie. There's a reason people thought this was un-filmable, and that simply has to do with the complexity of the time line and story. Reading the GN beforehand gives you the insight you need to really enjoy this. It was graphic and parts were disturbing, but definately an accurate refleciton of the book. Definately not one for the kiddies.
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Anyone who can read and who bothers to read a review will know there is male nudity and pretty dark subject matter here.
    But it's BLUE!!! Must see.

Quote Originally Posted by fouristhenewone
    Me and my wife saw it and both thought it was done perfectly. Best advice I can give to anyone though is DO read the graphic novel before seeing the movie. There's a reason people thought this was un-filmable, and that simply has to do with the complexity of the time line and story. Reading the GN beforehand gives you the insight you need to really enjoy this. It was graphic and parts were disturbing, but definately an accurate refleciton of the book. Definately not one for the kiddies.
    Oh I would totally agree. Or at least read the wiki on it. Understanding how Nixon got elected 5 terms, why we're still at war with Russia, and the ethicality of sending in a god to fight our wars (Vietnam) aren't things one can grasp in a 3 hour movie. There is a torrent as well (198mb). I'm glad you and your wife liked it.

Best quote of the movie "I'm not locked in here with you people, you're locked in here with MEEEEE!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Anyone who can read and who bothers to read a review will know there is male nudity and pretty dark subject matter here.
    And uncircumcised!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    And uncircumcised!
    ok, nevermind

I cant decide if I liked parts of it or not. It was the most graphic movie I've seen in a very long time. The action sequences were...well...it was all action sequences Disturbing. Painful. In your FACE. Really....dont take kids to see this one. Nothing was left to the imagination...maybe that is what was so disturbing.

Interesting comment. Was is so disturbing it offended you perhaps? Like perhaps it was a good movie but the violence got in the way of telling the story via the "flinch factor"? IE: eeww gross I don't even want to look at the screen. Or do you feel seeing such shocking violence you "shutdown" and became numb to the the rest of the movie? And aren't sure what to even think.

I've always been curious about the dynamic of using violence (in your face) and not using violence (or letting the audience figure it out) to tell a story. For me the violence wasn't so bad. But I had read the graphic novel already, so not much caught me by surprise. I can imagine seeing it the first time though my response would be different. But that scene where a young Rorschach is standing in the hallway and his mother yells "I wish I had aborted you!" rocked me to my core. Even though I was expecting it. But hearing a mother say that to her child really got to me. I guess we all have our sensitive areas.

Watchmen: Bluer, Longer & Uncut.

Haven't seen it yet, busy with work & houseguests coming this weekend. Will probably not see it until next week.

Still looking forward to it...

The violence was definately graphically extreme. I'm usually not okay with gore in movies, in fact I hate most of today's horror movies for just that reason. In this movie, I guess especially because I had read the graphic novel, and understood that it was important in developing how much of a messed up person Rorshach was, i didn't bother me.

My wife on the other hand, turned her head during several parts.
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Well I came into the movie totally unprepared . All I had seen was the trailer...that, and I liked '300' - same graphics/director style etc. We actually decided to watch it at the theater ticket desk. If I'd have sat back a dozen rows instead of the third row from the front Who knows? I'd have to watch it again...maybe in Moab...maybe not.

I'm with the "wife club" on this one..............especially when "He's just not that into you" could be playing in the next theater over. This kind of movie holds absolutely ZERO interest on my end. Glad all you nerdy, stinky boys liked it though.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    I cant decide if I liked parts of it or not. It was the most graphic movie I've seen in a very long time. The action sequences were...well...it was all action sequences Disturbing. Painful. In your FACE. Really....dont take kids to see this one. Nothing was left to the imagination...maybe that is what was so disturbing.

i HATE action movies.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    My friend Julie sayed she was mesmerized by the blue penis.

Haven't seen it yet.
    Chere'