Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Most Popular Waterfalls in Utah - Do you agree?

Top 10 Most Popular Waterfalls in Utah - Do you agree?

Top 10 Most Popular Waterfalls in Utah
    1. Bridal Veil
    2. Lower Calf Creek
    3. Stewarts Cascades
    4. Doughnut Falls
    5. Adams Canyon
    6. Waterfall Canyon
    7. Hidden Falls
    8. Lisa Falls
    9. Fremont River Falls
    10. Cascade Falls

See, hear about Wunder's falls
    Dick Wunder, author of 100 Utah Waterfalls, will present a slide show and talk on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Salt Lake REI store, 3285 E. 3300 South, East Millcreek. Copies of his hard-to-find book (Arch Hunter Books, $12.95 ) will be available there.

I found this list on the net and wondered what you guys think of it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't lived here long enough to be able to make a ruling. I think I've only been to the first waterfall up Bells Canyon. I'm not sure if it's on this list.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Bogley BigShot
    I have only been to Cascade Falls. I am sure many of you have done Calf Falls. I would not mind picking up this book and heading out this summer to find the waterfalls. Sounds like fun.

In fact... I might start with Calf Falls! I have never been there!

I've been to all of them, although a couple were when I was pretty young. Lower Calf is the prettiest in my opinion but this is probably pretty accurate since it's "most popular" although the Provo River Falls along the Mirror Lake Highway should be on the list. There are lots of good waterfalls deep in the Uinta backcountry and off the trails, some good ones scattered around the Wasatch too. Even a few hidden one's in Southern Utah that rarely get visited.

Bogley BigShot
    Which are the ones in Southern Utah?

In addition to Bridal Veil, I've been to Lower and Upper Calf Creek Falls, plus the Provo River Falls (actually several). The Fremont River Falls is near Capitol Reef, and I've see it. The others on the list aren't familiar to me, but I'm game to see them.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Do you guys have photos you can post here of the ones you have seen?

Re: Top 10 Most Popular Waterfalls in Utah - Do you agree?

Bridal Veil is in Provo Canyon on the side of the road, can't miss it.

Lower Calf Creek is off Highway 12 between Boulder and Escalante

Stewarts Cascades trail starts at Sundance along the Alpine Loop.

Doughnut is in Big Cottonwood Canyon in the Cardiff Fork but there have been access issues.

Adams Canyon starts in Layton near Mountain Road (89) not exactly sure where, my old girlfriend took me there a few years ago.

Waterfall is in a canyon behind a golf course in Ogden, haven't been since I was a kid.

Hidden is right at the S-Curve in Big Cottonwood, it's on Shane's website and is about a 100 foot hike from the road.

Lisa Falls is in Little Cottonwood, you pull over at an unmarked turnoff and it's a very short hike. You can find directions online easy.

Freemont River is in Capitol Reef and has a nice swimming hole at the bottom.

Cascade I didn't think I had been to until I looked it up, it's above Navajo Lake in Southern Utah, comes out of a cave, very cool, haven't been there since I was a kid either.

Others in Southern Utah? There is Bullion Falls in the Tushar Mountains, Sand Creek Falls near Torrey, lots of small falls in Coyote Gulch, the trickling fall in the Cathedral in the Desert, and who can forget that huge fall coming into Kolob Creek between the end of the rappels and Oak... oh and of course the falls IN Kolob creek when flowing. There are falls along the Right Fork of North Creek as well as one up a side canyon. Beartrap in northern Zion is nice and I hear rumors of others up some of those side canyons. There are more, many are in the above book.

Great info. You are pretty cool Scooby!

Bogley BigShot
    I just put that book on my to buy list but would rather throw money to a old friend.

Hey Shane.... you should add a waterfall $$$$$$ section to your website. Easy stuff for families to get to maybe?

I would think that Doughnut Falls would be #3, but this sounds about right. I haven't been to all of them but thankfully I have been to most.

Here are some pictures of the ones I've seen.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Bogley BigShot
    Wow! Nice shots!

I've seen those falls , but I would think that falls such as the ones at Emerald Pools (Zion), Provo River (Uintas), or the ones above Aspen Grove (Wasatch) would be way more popular than say something like Cascade Falls. Mystery Falls sees a lot of visitors as well, most of them from the bottom.

Even a few hidden one's in Southern Utah that rarely get visited.

Which are the ones in Southern Utah?
    More than a few; there are hundreds of them. Besides the obvious Zion ones, places like Gypsum Canyon, Bowdie Canyon and Clearwater Canyon each have several waterfalls. Gypsum Canyon is probably the best canyon to see waterfalls in Southern Utah. In the same area, Youngs and Dark Canyon have many waterfalls as well, but they are rather small and more cascades than big waterfalls. Nearby, I really like the ones in Hammond Canyon as well. Lower Slickhorn has great watefalls. Dozens of canyons in Southern Utah have multiple waterfalls.

Beartrap in northern Zion is nice and I hear rumors of others up some of those side canyons. There are more, many are in the above book.
    Four other side canyons of La Verkin ontain waterfalls, but Beartrap is probably the best one. Secret Falls Canyon (the complex east of Waterfalls Canyon/Icebox Canyon) has some nice waterfalls as does Waterfalls/Icebox itself. One side canyon on the south side of La Verkin also has a nice waterfall and a "half subway section". There is also a waterfall in the tiny canyon west of Icebox, but I don't know if it last year round. It might dry up.

You guys are so knowledgeable. I am impressed. That would be a good thing to add to Iceaxe's website. Lots of waterfalls easy to get to or maybe they are all in that book, but I bet it's not that complete.

Re: Top 10 Most Popular Waterfalls in Utah - Do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by safira
    Top 10 Most Popular Waterfalls in Utah
    10. Cascade Falls
    I found this list on the net and wondered what you guys think of it.
    I vaguely remember there being a Cascade Falls in the mountains east of Provo/SLC. Maybe it wasn't Cascade Falls, but it was Cascade something? I remember camping up there near a small pond and awakening in the morning to a Moose standing in the pond next to my tent and eating vegetation from under the water in the pond.

I vaguely remember there being a Cascade Falls in the mountains east of Provo/SLC. Maybe it wasn't Cascade Falls, but it was Cascade something?
    Cascade Springs, Stewart Cascades and Cascade Mountain are all in that area, but I don't know of any place specifically called Cascade Falls (in the Provo area).

That one I do know, bet you actually do too. It feeds the zion narrows.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/dfhike.htm

That one I do know, bet you actually do too. It feeds the zion narrows.
    Yes, but I was speaking of the lack of one near Provo, in response to Bo's post. I edited for clarity.

Here is Adams Canyon Waterfall One of my Favorite hikes
    See you on the Trail