Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinecreek Accident

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    The Spectrum/Daily News (local paper for SW Utah) has two pictures of the accident. One of the Black Hawk Helicopter in the canyon, the other of the helicopter hovering low to extract the individual. I only saw this pic on line posted below as an attachment.

While a lot of people talk about how the federal government is broken at the several agencies don't communicate with each other, I'm glad to here that the park was able to get assistance from the Air Force in a situation as critical as this to someone's life. Hope she recovers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Found todays story & Pics
    http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs...WS01/808010330

A.F. makes Zion rescue
    Park volunteer falls 100 feet in canyon

PATRICE ST. GERMAIN
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Very sad, that is one of the few raps I always clip in on before setting up to rap, even then it would be very easy to slip before being able to clip in. Whatever happened I hope she recovers. If they had flown her to SLC there would be a good chance I would have her as a patient but not if she's in Vegas. I've been able to take care of quite a few people you hear about on the news but no canyoneers yet.

I'm feeling sad about this too. Life is incredibly fragile.

Update form today's NPS Morning Report.....

Zion National Park (UT)
    Update On Rescue Of Injured Park Volunteer

On Wednesday, July 30th, Kaitlyn Bohlin, 23, a backcountry volunteer in Zion (not an SCA as was originally reported), was canyoneering with a friend on her day off in Pine Creek Canyon, a popular route that she had completed in the past. As she attempted the route

Still no word on why she fell?

I was in Zion over the weekend and spoke with folks at the Backcountry desk and at one of the climbing shops. No one is absolutely sure what happened, but it appears that the woman set up a biner block to do the rap and then rigged on the wrong side of the block.

Again, no one knows for certain, but from what the woman's canyoneering partner said to the people I talked to, it appears that's what happened.

Any update on her health?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Any update on her health?
    On the link there was this in the comments.

Fishertrap - Kaitlyn is my sister. Thank you so much for posting information regarding the rescue. Kaitlyn is making remarkable progress. As of today, she is breathing without a respirator and was asking for cookies and hamburgers. We are all shocked and feel so blessed that she is alive and making such headway. The doctors are extremely positive, and we could not be more grateful for all the prayers and love that has been pointed in our direction. Tell your brother that Kaitlyn remembers the boyscouts and smiles. While she was still on the respirator she gave the boyscouts a thumbs-up and one of the few smiles I saw while the tubes were still in. Thank you to everyone out there who helped save my little sister's life. She is so precious to us, and we are unspeakably grateful she is still with us.
    8/3/2008 9:07:43 PM

The St. George Spectrum had a few articles reporting on the accident. The following is from the comments section of one of the articles:

Fishertrap - Kaitlyn is my sister. Thank you so much for posting information regarding the rescue. Kaitlyn is making remarkable progress. As of today, she is breathing without a respirator and was asking for cookies and hamburgers. We are all shocked and feel so blessed that she is alive and making such headway. The doctors are extremely positive, and we could not be more grateful for all the prayers and love that has been pointed in our direction. Tell your brother that Kaitlyn remembers the boyscouts and smiles. While she was still on the respirator she gave the boyscouts a thumbs-up and one of the few smiles I saw while the tubes were still in. Thank you to everyone out there who helped save my little sister's life. She is so precious to us, and we are unspeakably grateful she is still with us.
    8/3/2008

She was way nice!

We picked up our backcountry permit from her the week before. I talked to her for a while, she was really nice. This is too bad.

Thanks for the update guys. Great to hear she is going to pull through!

Re: She was way nice!

Quote Originally Posted by dandyj
    We picked up our backcountry permit from her the week before. I talked to her for a while, she was really nice. This is too bad.
    You never know which one of us is going to be next. Got to live the life though and live like there is no tomorrow

Hello all

The following kindly provided by Ray O'Neil at Zion NP:

I think that cards, flowers, or posts to the website that her friends
    and family created would be appreciated and would help with her
    recovery.

Kaitlyn Bohlin
    c/o University Medical Center
    TICU Room 802
    1800 West Charleston Blvd
    Las Vegas, NV 89102

www.caringbridge.org/visit/KaitlynBohlin

Kaitlyn's Progress

Hi all,
    I'm 'the friend' as well as one of the people now doing Kaityln's pr. We were together when this happened and I have been with her since. Her progress is amazing and she's expected to make a full recovery (though it will be a long recovery). For updates and info please go to www.caringbridge.org/visit/kaitlynbohlin
    Also, feel free to leave a note in the guestbook, Kaitlyn has really appreciated them. Thanks all for your prayers and good wishes.
    Peace,
    AnnaMalia

Re: Kaitlyn's Progress

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMalia
    Hi all,
    I'm 'the friend' as well as one of the people now doing Kaityln's pr. We were together when this happened and I have been with her since. Her progress is amazing and she's expected to make a full recovery (though it will be a long recovery). For updates and info please go to www.caringbridge.org/visit/kaitlynbohlin
    Also, feel free to leave a note in the guestbook, Kaitlyn has really appreciated them. Thanks all for your prayers and good wishes.
    Peace,
    AnnaMalia
    Wow thanks for the info. I still can't believe that you could fall 100ft and live let alone a full recovery. Guardian Angels?

Can you shed some light on how she fell? Slip, wrong side of biner block, etc.
    The man thong is wrong.

Thanks for the update.

She tells the story in her own words on her page....

Kaitlyn Bohlin
    c/o University Medical Center
    Room 335
    1800 W. Charleston Blvd.
    Las Vegas, NV 89102

"The very last repel at Pine Creek is a hundred foot free hang repel that takes you into a sandy alcove. The rope that we happened to be using that day was a length required a single line repel, which I had completed successfully and felt confident about this time around. It was thus with minimal concern that I secured two safety devices and got on the line to repel down. But, the next thing I knew, I was on the ground incapable of moving like I had just woken up from a dream, in fact it felt like a nightmare. It took me several moments before I realized that this was reality, I had somehow fallen the entire 100 foot length of this repel with nothing to stop me."

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kaitlynbohlin

From what she is saying I am assuming that the block was on the wrong side of the ring, and she did that herself. She says it was a single rope. It sounds like there should have been someone with that group with far more experience. I am glad she is okay. She must have hit somewhere on the way down, which must have really hurt, but I am guessing it broke her fall and then she slid probably some on the wall. There is usually water at the bottom too, but she said sand. Must have been dry. Very lucky girl and it's wonderful how she is dealing with it.

It really is amazing that she is doing so well. I've been working in the Shock Trauma ICU a lot lately and I see so many tragic accidents of young people either getting killed or being left brain dead, paralyzed, etc... (WAY too many motorcycle accidents lately) It is awesome to see someone beat the odds and make a full recovery (which from the notes it sounds like she will). Awesome to hear, makes me wish even more they had sent her to SLC, we are needing a happy story for once (I'm assuming she was wearing a helmet, I'd guess she wouldn't be doing so well if she wasn't. Anyone that doesn't wear a helmet, come to the hospital and I'll show you what can happen when you hit your head... some things are worse than dying).

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Anyone that doesn't wear a helmet, come to the hospital and I'll show you what can happen when you hit your head... some things are worse than dying).

Let me guess - does it have something to do with pooping into a ziploc for the rest of your life?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.