Thread: Earthquake

Earthquake

We had a big earthquake this morning. 5.8 at 11:42 this morning. It was a good one. Have not had one this big in some time.

Here is a newpaper clipping from the local paper:

LOS ANGELES

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ah, yes! I miss those. Always made things interesting when the ground started shaking. Just another good vibration!
    "All roads, all codes!"

At least it appears there was little damage or injury, so let's be thankful for that.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

This is actually perfect. My mom was visiting us in STG and complained about the heat the whole time. Then we she got back she sent me a nice little email that started off like this

Hi Jake,
    We are back and I feel great after sleeping last night! It is nice to have the windows open and breath the cool air here.
    Now I can say "did the nice cool air get very dusty from the huge earthquake there in san diego?" Ahh I can picture it now. Have to get the comments in where I can.

Doubt it. Most of us So Cal natives don't even get outta bed for quakes. You'll either sleep right though 'em, or ride 'em out. I rode out both the '94 Northridge and '99 Landers quakes in my bed. It was one heckuva bumpy ride there for a minute, but once it's done, it's done. You just gotta hope the aftershocks aren't bigger than the first quake.
    "All roads, all codes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman70
    Doubt it. Most of us So Cal natives don't even get outta bed for quakes. You'll either sleep right though 'em, or ride 'em out. I rode out both the '94 Northridge and '99 Landers quakes in my bed. It was one heckuva bumpy ride there for a minute, but once it's done, it's done. You just gotta hope the aftershocks aren't bigger than the first quake.
    My leadman lived there in 94, told me a story today about his waterbed being ok to surf on during that quake.
    His uncle still lives there, he was having surgery at the time todays quake hit. NOT good timing!

I rode out both the '94 Northridge
    I made a lot of money off that quake.

So did a lot of other engineers.... Lots of earthquake codes revised after that quake. Lots of repair work and retro fits to bring old buildings up to new codes, particularly schools and bridges.

Nothing like a nice quake to stimulate the economy.

I remember one earthquake very well. It was a Sunday morning about 8am. I have learned over the years that as soon as the quake begins, you need to start dialing the love ones out of state before they shut down the phone lines. I called my sister right away to tell her that we were ok and that we were not being swallowed up by the pacific ocean as they would be told by the east coast media.

She was in east Texas - she said "all the windows and doors are open and the ditch out front is lined with paper boxes". They were under a tornado watch!

I remember telling her that we were riding the American River without being in the water.

It was a great ride!

Now my sister knows: no news is good news.

That's funny. I remember hearing about the Northridge earthquake happening shortly after I went to work on a Monday. Our office in LA sent out an e-mail to tell us. It was before 8 am Eastern time, therefore before 5 am Pacific time. My memory could be off, but that's what I recall.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    That's funny. I remember hearing about the Northridge earthquake happening shortly after I went to work on a Monday. Our office in LA sent out an e-mail to tell us. It was before 8 am Eastern time, therefore before 5 am Pacific time. My memory could be off, but that's what I recall.
    Your memory is correct and mine is not. I have the wrong quake in mind. Sorry.

You are correct. I remember it was approx. 0430 hours in the morning Pacific time, Martin Luther King Day, 1994.

I got called in to work a bit later after my pager went off, and I can honestly say it was pretty eerie being out around town with NOBODY else out. There was no electricity, nobody but emergency vehicles on the roads, no people out walking around. It was like the town was abandoned. If you've never experienced that, it is definately a strange feeling.
    "All roads, all codes!"

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=BN-jNUz2RjM[/youtube]
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

"Who made you judge, Judy, and executioner?" -Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    "Who made you judge, Judy, and executioner?" -Homer Simpson
    "All roads, all codes!"

You are correct. I remember it was approx. 0430 hours in the morning Pacific time, Martin Luther King Day, 1994.

I got called in to work a bit later after my pager went off, and I can honestly say it was pretty eerie being out around town with NOBODY else out. There was no electricity, nobody but emergency vehicles on the roads, no people out walking around. It was like the town was abandoned. If you've never experienced that, it is definately a strange feeling.
    Yeah, go out after a hurricane (or during) for some quality time with yourself.
    Stan