Thread: How do I work this Garmin Etrex?

How do I work this Garmin Etrex?

I just inherited this thing and am anxious to begin using it, but on the Map screen the GPS coordinates are turned off, and I can't figure out how to turn them back on. Help please!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If I understand you correctly on the left side of the unit press the bottom button (the one by the click stick) go to data fields, then choose the one you want.

go to the garmin site and download the manual as a .pdf. reading is FUNdamental..
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    go to the garmin site and download the manual as a .pdf. reading is FUNdamental..
    Thanks. I've got the manual--it came with the inheritance--but it doesn't seem to address my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by davis_b_1
    If I understand you correctly on the left side of the unit press the bottom button (the one by the click stick) go to data fields, then choose the one you want.
    I get a Menu that lists a few things:

Use with GPS off
    Track Up
    Single Color
    New Location

I'm thinking then that the GPS is on, but it's not showing me any coordinates on the map page--even though in the manual it shows that page with coordinates on the screen.

PM me Jim and I'll come over and fix it for you. I used to own one of those.

James

have you loaded waypoints to the gps?

If maps have ben uploaded, try looking for waypoints. There is a find key on the left hand side of the unit.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    have you loaded waypoints to the gps?

If maps have ben uploaded, try looking for waypoints. There is a find key on the left hand side of the unit.
    I'll give that a try.

Yep. It was the waypoints thing. Once I created one, the coordinates appeared on the screen. Actually the manual didn't say that needed to be done--all it said was to just wait for the satellites to be found and the coordinates would appear at the top of the screen. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

If you want to see the coords of where you are, there should be a 'Trip Computer' that has many useful info that you can customize.

I have a 60CSx, but the Trip Computer is basically the same.

The fields that I have showing are

Accuracy
    Distance to next
    Speed
    Moving Average
    Time of Day
    Stopped Time
    Elevation
    and Odometer

You can change the fields, and it will show you the coords of your location.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    If you want to see the coords of where you are, there should be a 'Trip Computer' that has many useful info that you can customize.
    Thanks. I'm planning on spending a lot of time with it to learn how it all works, and then I want to learn how to use it for geocaching, which I've done once with someone else who had a GPS gadget--I just need to know the basics of how to get started in geocaching.

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    Thanks. I'm planning on spending a lot of time with it to learn how it all works, and then I want to learn how to use it for geocaching, which I've done once with someone else who had a GPS gadget--I just need to know the basics of how to get started in geocaching.
    Check out these websites

www.geocaching.com
    www.utahgeocachers.com