Thread: Getting Away with Family

Getting Away with Family

It's been a busy past couple of weeks with a move and a temporary layover at my Mother's home while we wait for our duplex to be vacated. Very hectic.

In that time, I have caught ZERO fish! I got skunked two weekends in a row (3 trips) and I hadn't slimed my fingers on a trout for over a month.

Today was our (my wife, son, and I) recuperation day to let the fishing gods heal our chaotic woes and I decided a long drive was in order.

In my past research, I stumbled upon a water body that I had never heard of before and never heard a report about it either. I checked in to it and found out that it actually gets stocked every year. I vowed to vist, one day.

We made great time and made it to Rex Reservoir in just over 2 hrs. I believe it's also known as Lost Creek Reservoir (Sevier County) on some maps.

I worked a brass kastmaster while a minnow soaked and on my 2nd cast, a decent looking fish (probably around 18") followed my lure to the shore without a strike. This gave me hope for some nice fish today.

I kept lobbing the kastmaster out with very little action, but I still somehow caught a gorgeous cutthroat (not stocked there) that tricked me into thinking it was twice as large by its ferocity.

I almost got a pic, but before the camera engaged, the fish had fought its way out of my grasp and off my hook. It wasn't large, but very nice to look at.

Shortly thereafter, Sonia got her first fish in a long time:

I had several more fish attack and throw the hook before I could get them all the way in, but after a while I finally got to hold a trout again.

It even had fins...Bonus.

Rex is a nice little reservoir and I can tell it doesn't get a whole lot of pressure outside of the local region. It's tucked back out of the way and I can't imagine too many people would choose to go there over the near by Fish Lake.

I kept getting good hits when I switched to my Blue Fox but those fish fought so hard that I could only bring a few to hand. It was still a lot of fun to watch how aggressively they fought the hook though. I saw some major air time from many of them.

They weren't very big, but they made up for it in spunk. It was just nice to get out of suburbia and see some wide open spaces and pretty mountains.

These were growing all over the area. Snow peas? Not sure:

We were hot and hungry and thought we'd head to another water on the way home. We weren't sure which one to try, but we decided Palisade while we were rolling.

Palisade looked great, but we were in the wrong spot. The dam area was overrun with koi and other species weren't showing themselves. We spent about three hours there, moving around the dam with no luck.

Well, we didn't get totally skunked by Palisade...

We caught a few of these hopping around the rocks. TINY!

So after getting the treatment from Palisade, we thought we'd try Yuba for some reason.

It's practically drained! I don't recall seeing the Painted Rocks area so low.

I like fishing from this rock formation to the far right of the pic:

When we pulled up, we just stared out at the water in disbelief. We watched as several giant carp hurled themselves completely out of the water and realized that we didn't need to fish there.

At that point, the storm clouds had moved in and started dumping rain anyhow. No biggie.

So after all was said and done, the day provided us with plenty of outdoor entertainment and even some fish to chase off the skunk.

It was good to fish yet another lake, previously unbeknownst to me. I'm glad my family was there to enjoy it with me. We all had a great day despite the Palisade snub.

Happy Fishing, Humans.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

very nice. I wish I could catch fish like you. I'll keep trying
    The man thong is wrong.

Great report as usual. It's always fun discovering new places.

I got hand it to you, you get out as much as I'd like to get out.

I love seeing the fish photos. Not snow peas, but lupines, and I seem to remember some part of the plant is poisonous. Thanks for the report.

Yeah, I found out they were lupines and did some research.

There are only a few that are safe to eat out of 200 or so species.

Good thing I was cautious.

Thanks for the responses.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Yes- Lupines- I have to watch out for that with my packgoats but in all reality they are smarter about that than I am.