Thread: Comcast vrs FCC : lets get ready to rumble!

Comcast vrs FCC : lets get ready to rumble!

http://www.wired.com/politics/online...portfolio_0728

Comcast Spoiling for Fight With FCC
    By Sam Gustin, Portfolio.com Email 6 hours ago
    News from Portfolio.com

Also on Portfolio

Timeline: A Look at the FCC's Comcast Investigation

Comcast is poised for legal showdown with the Federal Communications Commission as the agency moves to fine the cable giant for blocking file-sharing traffic on its Web network.

Two commissioners, Democrats Michael Copps and Jonathan Adelstein, late last week joined Chairman Kevin Martin to vote in favor of sanctioning Comcast, giving the commission a majority in favor of punishing the cable giant. A formal vote is set for Friday.

The F.C.C.'s ruling could represent a landmark victory for "network neutrality" advocates and set a precedent for the rules governing how internet service providers are allowed to manage their Web traffic.

Network neutrality, the principle that all Web traffic should be treated equally, was enshrined in the F.C.C.'s 2005 Internet Policy Statement, which established four principles intended to guarantee consumers open access to all legal internet content.

Comcast argues, however, that the commission lacks the authority to enforce those principles.

"In order to enforce something, an agency must be enforcing a rule that has force of law," Comcast spokesperson Sena Fitzmaurice told Portfolio.com. The F.C.C.'s internet policy statement does not meet that test, the company believes.

F.C.C. Chairman Kevin Martin, however, believes the enforcement of the internet policy is within the agency's purview.

"I am pleased that a majority has agreed that the Commission both has the authority to, and in fact will, stop broadband service providers when they block or interfere with subscribers' access," Martin said in a statement Saturday.

The battle over whether the F.C.C. can fine Comcast for violations of the internet policy could land in federal court if the company decides to challenge the ruling.

Last year, a consortium of consumer-rights groups led by Free Press filed a complaint after Comcast was found to be interfering with peer-to-peer Web traffic. Comcast initially denied the charge before admitting that it had been practicing what the company called "reasonable network management," as allowed by the F.C.C.'s policy statement, in an effort to prevent Web traffic bottlenecks.

But three out five F.C.C. commissioners now disagree with the company's position, giving the panel a majority vote to punish the company.

In a statement, Comcast continued to defend what is called its "reasonable network management" practices.

"We continue to assert that our network management practices were reasonable, wholly consistent with industry practices, and that we did not block access to websites or online applications, including peer-to-peer services," Comcast said. "We do not believe the record supports any other conclusion."

Network neutrality advocates hailed the news of the F.C.C.'s ruling.

"This vote reflects the bipartisan support for protecting consumers' access to the free and open internet," said Marvin Ammori, general counsel of Free Press and author of the original complaint. "Comcast's blocking is a flagrant violation of the online rights established by the F.C.C. If adopted, this order would send a strong signal to the marketplace that arbitrarily interfering with users' online choices is not acceptable."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't know who to root for. It's like a fight between Adolf Hitler and Satan.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

The FCC isn't always right, but it is in this instance. Comcast is always greedy and willing to sacrifice service if it helps meet their goals. The network provider has no business limiting the traffic unless it is something required by law.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    The FCC isn't always right, but it is in this instance. Comcast is always greedy and willing to sacrifice service if it helps meet their goals. The network provider has no business limiting the traffic unless it is something required by law.
    I completely agree. Comcast is most certainly one of the most greedy companies that I've ever dealt with.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

The road to hell is paved with good intention. The FCC has no bearing over the internet and should not be allowed to gain authority over it by passing legislation (even if it is fair).

their rationale, as we heard it in the field, was to keep people from selling their personal service connection w/ comcast to others via a router or hub and profiting from those new subs by cutting comcast out of the loop. that makes sense to me (unless they are really just blocking certain types of traffic). and the transfer limits were so high i NEVER heard of anyone being cut off as a result of being suspected of charging others for the comcast service thru their hub or router.

but you oughta try working for them. pay SUX. if my 2 years in slc w/ comcast had been spent in vegas, for the same job duties i would have been making 25/hr PLUS instead of the 16 i made there. i KNEW i should have moved to vegas to start w/ !
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    The road to hell is paved with good intention. The FCC has no bearing over the internet and should not be allowed to gain authority over it by passing legislation (even if it is fair).
    So, you think Comcast should be allowed to decide what can or can't be carried over the internet? If the FCC doesn't have authority over the networks that support the internet, who does?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

The FCC can make ruling against comcast, but I don't believe any government entity should try and exert authority over the internet.