Thread: new search engine for the web

new search engine for the web

http://www.cuil.com/

New search engine takes aim at Google
    By Rafe Needleman

There's a big new search engine launching Monday: Cuil. Developed and run by the husband-and-wife team of Stanford professor Tom Costello and former Google search architect Anna Patterson, it's pitched as bigger, faster, and better than Google's flagship search engine in pretty much every way. See video interview with Tom Costello, below.

I have not had a chance to spend much time with the engine. I'm getting open access to it the same time you are. I did get a preview. It's a very serious effort, and it has enough funding to get off the ground and become a player.

The most important difference between Cuil and Google is its ranking system. Rather than assigning priority to pages based on inbound links as Google does ("Pagerank"), Cuil analyzes the content of Web pages to divine their relevance to a search query. Costello bristled when I asked if this was a semantic search engine like PowerSet (recently sold to Microsoft). Costello said Cuil's search is "contextual," and that, "we're trying to understand the real world, not the Web."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So far I'm not impressed. I did a search for several sites I visit (that do show up on Google) and nothing came up here. May it just needs to be around a little longer.

[color=yellow]We didn

I had the same experience.

Interesting. Although it probably isn't up to par yet, I think it will have an impact.

We didn

So far it seems to be a POS. How come it is acceptable for a company to have a big release and then have the product not work. Microsoft also comes to mind with every operating system they have come out with.
    The man thong is wrong.

Why Cuil Is No Threat to Google
    By ANITA HAMILTON
    Time

Rest easy, Google ... The much-hyped new search engine Cuil (pronounced "cool"), purports to index more Web pages than any of its rivals. But based on its Monday debut, the new site poses little immediate threat to industry leader Google, or even its nearest competitors, Yahoo and Microsoft, in either relevance or breadth of results it delivers.

"Anybody who thought [Cuil] was this Google killer can really see now that no, that's not going to happen today