Thread: Green River Lakes TR

Green River Lakes TR

So the plan was to go on a backpacking trip with my dad, brother, and cousin. My dad ended up breaking his toe and was going to cancel so instead we decided to head up to Green River Lakes where he wouldn't be committed to backpacking and could just hang out around camp if his toe was bothering him too much. We drove out Wednesday and then hiked to the upper lake and did the loop around the lower. Thursday we hiked up to Slide Lake and made a trip out to the Natural Bridge. We didn't see a soul until the hike to the bridge and on the way back to camp. Friday we hiked up Porcupine Creek and to the meadows above. On the way back down, we found a spot where the creek looked like it dropped quite a ways in a short distance and started bushwhacking our way to a spot we could see what the creek was doing. We ended up finding a 40 or so foot waterfall that we wouldn't have known was there otherwise, pretty sweet. I love the Wind Rivers, they keep drawing me back. Weather was a little warm down at camp and bugs were out but tolerable as long as you kept the repellent on. Other than that it was a perfect trip, only got sprinkled on once... pretty lucky considering I sometimes get rained on daily up there. Full photo album in the usual spot:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ericgodfrey/GreenRiverLakes

And I'll attach a few from the album for the lazy ones who don't like to click links.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome pictures.There are just too many awesome things to do in this world!

nice pics. did you go beyond clear creek bridge ? that was all dead fall a few years ago, a nasty time wading and straddling and balancing thru it until clear lake. saw a few moose though, kinda cool. way cool area the winds, have to go back someday.
    signature

Our scouts are doing their high adventure backpack trip up here next week - hiking up to the top of that flat top peak in the background in so many of these pics I've spent years camping up here on the lower greenriver lake at Camp Newfork. Great camping & hiking! beautiful area!

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    nice pics. did you go beyond clear creek bridge ?
    No, I attempted it with my dad two summers ago but there was so much dead fall to wade through and climb over we turned around pretty quick. Didn't even look at it this time as it was the end of the day and we were wanting to get back to camp for dinner.

Beautiful scenery!! Image 148 makes me want to be there. Gorgeous!

Yes, 148 is truly gorgeous! Looks like a beautiful area - never been. Going to have to add it to the list! That list is getting so long...

Thanks, shaggy!

I almost forgot to mention we saw three moose in Porcupine Meadows and we got a really good look at a bear on the drive in. First bear I've seen outside of a national park or the zoo. It came down to the road getting ready to cross about 100 feet in front of us, stopped, stood up on its hind legs and looked at our vehicle then turned around and took off up the hill back into the woods. It was super cool, wish I could have got a picture.

Blog Entries
    pictures 105 - that guy is wearing a Intermountain Health Care backpack....I work for them and have 3 of those..hahah.