Thread: Patching a self-inflatable mattress

Patching a self-inflatable mattress

I have the decision to make on whether to by this Thermarest pad--that supposedly has a couple of small holes in it--for cheap, or to keep looking. As I'm financially strapped, I'm thinking I could patch up the Thermarest with some of the Sports Goop or something similar. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Aquaseal. i stepped on my thermarest while on denali with a pair of crampons. that was about 8 years ago. still using the pad. no leaks. i have patched tents, gortex jackets, waders, even drybags with huge holes with the stuff. i swear by it. patches are stronger than the original product. even cures at sub-zero temps. this is handy when you slice your tent fly with a shovel while cleaning snow away at 17,200. can't beat it. just put the pad in the bathtub, find the holes and mark them. goop it up and let it cure 24 hours and away you go.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Thermarest sells a specific leak repair kit that works pretty good.

Anyway, I'd worry about buying a leaky one in the first place though. If it might be the valve or the leak is near the seam it wouldn't be worth tying to fix it. I would ask the seller to fix it, prove it no longer leaks and then buy just ot make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    Thermarest sells a specific leak repair kit that works pretty good.

Anyway, I'd worry about buying a leaky one in the first place though. If it might be the valve or the leak is near the seam it wouldn't be worth tying to fix it. I would ask the seller to fix it, prove it no longer leaks and then buy just ot make sure.
    I went ahead and bought it, since I drove across the valley to look at it and it seemed like I could probably fix it. What it looked like, and what the woman selling it told me was that someone rolled it up, then bungee corded it and the end of the bungee punctured the mat in two places. She had repaired one, but couldn't get the patch to stick in the other spot.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    just put the pad in the bathtub, find the holes and mark them. goop it up and let it cure 24 hours and away you go.
    So with aquaseal, you just spread it on with no patching material? That's sweet, kinda like my Sports Goop idea. So where do I buy the stuff?

exactly no patching material needed. you can get it at rei or any dive shop. its used for neoprene repair and wader repair. seamgrip is the same stuff. it comes in a 1oz tube for about 6 bucks. i did find a 8 oz. tube once for 20.00. that was at a marine supply store. i have used it for years to patch gaiters that got torn by crampons, tent flys, any nylon or gortex product. i use it on seams of my backpacks as a sacrificial layer to prevent abrasion. its great stuff.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Thanks. I'm gonna have to get me some of that.