Thread: Mount Timpanogos TR - July 18-19

Mount Timpanogos TR - July 18-19

My 13 yo son Zac and I had a fun backpacking trip to the summit of Timp. We left the trailhead about 5:30 pm and backpacked for almost 3 hours to upper Timp basin. It was about 5-1/2 miles. It was perfect weather. We were in the shade probably 95% of the time. There were a few other groups going up and a lot of day trippers coming down.

We set up camp and tried out my new BP stove to make a tasty meal of freeze dried chicken and rice. We were camped only 50 yards of the trail, so about 3:30 am the sunrise hikers started coming up. There must have been 10-15 group between 3:30 am and 5:00 am. They were so nosiy that we finally got up about 6:30, ate breakfast and then started on our way to the summit.

It took about an hour to make the saddle. There were 20 or so people there, and then another 40 mins to reach the summit.

We went from the summit to the top of the glacier. We slide down the glacier. According to the GPS we slide 0.30 miles at an average of 7.5 mph, and a high of 11 mph. It was fun, but we both got scratched up and I was wearing shorts and got an ice filled wedgie.

We walked the rest of the way to Emerald Lake, then back to camp to packup. We were back to the TH around 1:00 pm.

I was proud of Zac, I was thinking I was going too fast for him, so I let him lead, and he was wearing me out. I finally had to get back in front. I told him I was worried he would get us lost.

Next up is Kings Peak in a few weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images                     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great TR! Timp is on my to do list for sure. Right now I am chasing County highpoints, but seeing these pics, maybe I will need to go do it this summer.

Thanks for posting.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Very nice TR. I still need to get up there this year. A bp trip would be fun. thanks for posting the pics
    The man thong is wrong.

Cool! Can't wait to climb the peak again in just over a month. I haven't climbed it since 1998!

Cool! Can't wait to climb the peak again in just over a month. I haven't climbed it since 1998!