Thread: Is it Possible to find Camping in the Uintas this weekend??

Is it Possible to find Camping in the Uintas this weekend??

I am hoping to find a campground anywhere in the Uintas with a trailhead for good hiking, about 10 miles. We wont be able to get there untill friday night but I am afriad things will be a zoo by then. Ideally we would like to backpack but I am not sure if that is an option right now. Does anyone have any advice or any possible camping areas?

Also do you cary bear spray when hiking in the Uintas? I recently moved from Montana so I am not 100% on the territory..

Thanks guys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't carry bear mace, there has only been one reported bear death in Utah, and that was a year or two ago in American Fork Canyon. There have been a few reported attacks, but it's very rare. As far as your chances of getting a campsite, yea it will probably be a zoo but I'd guess the further you go from the Mirror Lake Highway (SR 150) the better your chances of finding a spot would be. Most campgrounds will have hiking opportunities as most are near trailheads. There are multiple campgrounds along 150, there are many great places along the North Slope Road, or many can be accessed from highway 40 running along the south end. Good luck.

If you come towards Vernal and anywhere off the red cloud loop or come in through the Wyoming side in Mckinnon you should have know problem finding a spot with no one else around and plenty of hiking also.
    Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the Grave in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ...Holy Shit... What A Ride!

Thanks for the responses. It looks like we will be able to backpack now. We have it narrowed down to naturalist basin or lower red castle. Hoping for no major thunderstorms though...

The last 2 years you could not camp within 1000yds. of lower red castle.