Thread: TR - Mount Price, BC, July 16, 2008

TR - Mount Price, BC, July 16, 2008

I don't usually post trip reports here from my own area, near Vancouver, BC. I know that it's Bogley now, so anything goes...

... but I still concentrate on Utah here, and home elsewhere (hello, Rented Mule!)

Anyway, this hike I did a couple days ago was really a beautiful spot, with incredible views. I thought it would be worth sharing here as an example of the beauty that's up here in my neck of the woods. So without further ado:

Mount Price, Garibaldi Provincial Park, BC - July 16, 2008

This was a trip I put up on the BC Mountaineering Club's schedule, and I had 5 people join me for the hike. We left West Vancouver at about 7:15, and were on the trail at about 9:20. The hike up was via Garibaldi Lake, which has a very popular campground along its shoreline - about 3 hours and 3000 feet up from the parking lot. The route continued for a couple more hours, and we reached the top after approximately six hours, including lunch and lots of photo stops. Hung around on top for almost an hour.

Retracing our steps on the way down, we were back at the car after 11 hours, 27km (16.5 miles), and 1500m (4900 feet) of elevation gain.

About Garibaldi Lake: Our story begins 9000 years ago at the end of the last ice age. A glacier was retreating up the Cheakamus Valley, but was still blocking the outlet of Rubble Creek. Clinker Peak (beside our destination, Mount Price) erupted, and a lava flow dropped down into the valley of Rubble Creek. The lava hit the side of the glacier, and hardened there. (I'm sure the steam would have been crazy!) The glacier later fully retreated, leaving what is known as The Barrier. That is what holds Garibaldi Lake in place. The Barrier is very thick, but is quite rotten lava, and there is concern that one day it will let loose. In fact, Rubble Creek does not normally flow over the top of the Barrier - it flows through and under it. Our hike began just below the lower arrow of Rubble Creek.

Photo taken 2 years ago from Tricouni Peak.

Our group on the trail: Mary, Nikolai, Pauline, Darcy and Larry.

West end of Garibaldi Lake, looking east.

One of Garibaldi Lake's inhabitants.

First view of our destination, Mount Price.

Panorama of Lake Garibaldi from the campground.

Partway up the ridge, the views begin to open up. The prominent black tusk is The Black Tusk.

Close up of The Black Tusk.
    (Scramble route goes up a chimney on the left side, then follows the skyline to the summit.)

Our route goes up Clinker Peak (this one) via the right skyline.

The snow beside the ridge was an easier route up. Not quite steep enough for ice axes.

Continuing up the snow.

Looking across some of the lava rubble, with Mount Pelion in the distance.

First view of Mount Garibaldi, as we approach the summit of Clinker Peak.

Dropping down into the Clinker-Price col.

Approaching the final scree slope to the summit of Price.

On the summit, overlooking Garibaldi Lake and the Black Tusk.

Looking the other way, toward Mount Garibaldi.

On the way back down we stopped at the campground again. Final view of Mt. Price and Clinker Peak.

Contemplating the view over the lake.

One last view across the lake.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Those are awesome, please post more from home!

Nice; I hope I make it back to BC sometime in the near future.

Kev, this is an excellent TR and I love your photos. Having visited Canada many times, I'm familiar with the beauty you live in. Last time in Vancouver, we drove up toward Whistler, visiting Alice Lake, Shannon Falls, etc. Beautiful area.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Wow! Does British Columbia have some awesome scenery or what?!?! Please post more!
    "All roads, all codes!"

Stunning beauty!!!!!!!

I have still not made it to BC. Someday!

Show us more! Pleeease!

Cool - glad you folks enjoyed it! I'll post some occasional trip reports here from my local explorations. Actually, I've got one from a couple of weeks before this one that I will post a little later.

WOW ! That looks like it was a awesome trip. So jealous.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

You are the man Kev! Great trip report!