Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October Bogley

October Bogley

Richard Barron and his wife are going to be in Moab come October, and I think we should organize a get together. I doubt most of us need excuses to go to Moab, so it would probably be more of a scheduling issue, so I thought I'd test the waters and see what you guys thought?

Maybe you have to be extra awesome to be a full time member of this site and still live far away, which is why people like Cirrus, JP, & Richard stand out. I think it would be awesome to plan an Uber Bogley fest like a year in advance or whatever to try and get everyone together, but in the mean time I thought we could start with October.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds good to me. I could probably travel the 50-ish miles to Moab to meet the legendary Barron and Barroness. Maybe we make it a photographic centered get together?
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Re: October Bogley

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    Richard Barron and his wife are going to be in Moab come October, and I think we should organize a get together. I doubt most of us need excuses to go to Moab, so it would probably be more of a scheduling issue, so I thought I'd test the waters and see what you guys thought?
    It would be our honor and privilege to meet anyone from this site in October. As you know, Abby is still quite weak after her illness, and one of her recovery goals is to return to Delicate Arch for our fourth anniversary. Having our Bogley friends with us would be total bonus.

Something that I have done but Abby has not is see the sun set at Delicate Arch. I know it's crawling with marklars then, but I'd still like her to see it. Maybe all the Bogleyites could bring a can of Silly String and we could just hose down the people we don't like!

Yes, I am kidding.

Um - so how much of October? 'Cuz I'll be around for a while. The plan right now is to be somewhere in the Zion to Bryce to Escalante stretch from about the 10th to the 13th, with the family. After that, I'm dropping them off in LAS for their flight home. Then I'm driving east and north and east and north, or wherever. Maybe even Moab... Then back to Vancouver sometime around the 22nd to 26th.

I know the Big Day is the 12th, right? So if there's a big anniversary party that day, I'll have to miss it. But if there's a chance you're around later, I might be able to stop by!

That would be so cool if we could get both of your dates to work out.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

The exact date is flexible. In fact, my job and Mitchell's school schedule often mean we take our anniversary trip a week or two after that actual day. As October gets a little closer, especially when we get a school schedule, I can pin down a more specific date.

Very cool - I'll be watching for updates! If all works out, we'll have to have some vegan delights! I'll even forgo my lacto-ovo ways in your honour... :)

Might have to set up a SLC area shindig a few days later, on my way through. Hoping to get in a Wasatch or even Uinta hike on this trip - haven't hiked north of I-70 yet.

By the way, DiscGo, thanks for the kind words upthread...

We're probably going to do an October trip of some kind. A day or two in Moab might just work.

Hey, Kevin, thinking of you last night, we ate at Whiptails. Let us know when you're in Zion , we'll definitely get togather. We'll at least have Happy Hour at the house.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Rocktober Bogley!

Okay, the October Bogley hook-up is now just weeks away. In order to start planning exactly when we'd like to come, can I get some input from you guys? We are looking at the week Oct. 20-25, but that remains somewhat flexible. The sooner we can nailed it down, the sooner I can advise my editors when I am going to be gone.

That's the when. The where is Moab. The what is hiking, and I am of a mind that Abby and I will have our dogs, so I am looking for at least some trails that are easy to moderate and dog friendly. I was looking at the BLM Moab web site and found a list...

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...ng_trails.html

Trail suggestions are appreciated.

Also, we want to hike up to Delicate Arch at some point (since it is an anniversary trip and that's where we got married), and I think it would be nice to watch the sunset there. I was there for sunset in 2005, but Abby has never been there for sunset.

There will probably be a day or two in the middle when Abby would like to take a day off, so we could do something more strenuous then. I'd still like to hike the Alcove Spring trail to Zeus and Moses at Canyonlands, or the Syncline Loop.

It could be just a few Bogleyites, or a bunch of us. We'd love to meet many of you, but if few can make it, we'll still be happy. So, how about a show of hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Hey, Kevin, thinking of you last night, we ate at Whiptails.
    Hey Win, what did you have? I haven't been there in months! I need a fire asada taco fix...

Ah, yes, these dogs. Sierra is the long-coat and Max is the smooth-coat, traditional-looking Chihuahuha. The both like to hike with us, and are great fun on the trail. In tougher spots, we can just pick them up with one hand and carry them. Word of caution: don't reach for Max until you get to know him, especially if one of us is holding him, since he is very protective and might nip at you.

Abby with Sierra at Fisher Towers...

Mitchell with Max...

Me with Max two years ago at Butler Wash...

I am still planning on heading down to Moab for this in October.

Re: October Bogley

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I thought Moab was the excuse?

Id love to make it, but won't no matter the dates. Still cost cash I dont currently have. Sometime in the future I plan on making the trip and hitting a bogley event, but unfortunately it cant be right now

I'm still waiting to find out what leave is confirmed for me. I'll probably know for sure tomorrow. It comes down to what day I have to be back in Vancouver. It'll be either the 23rd of October, or the 27th (wife's birthday - I'm skipping out on our 22nd anniversary in December, so I'd better not miss this...)

I'm definitely leaving here for points south on Oct. 4. Then I'm with wife & kids from the 9th to the 14th. Then a day or two in Red Rocks, NV with some Vancouver "homies". Then the plans are open. I definitely plan on some days in the Escalante area. I might do a couple of days in Zion if I can meet up with someone versed in canyons & permits.

Then it's home, whenever I have to be.

If I have to work on the 23rd, I'll probably be driving home on the 21-22nd. If it's later, I can come hang with the crew...

More when I know more...

We're just making plans with some friends for a mid to late Oct vacation. Not sure where we'll be going but Moab still might work.

Hank, that's what I had. They were excellent. The waiter keeps pushing the spaghetti squash enchilada. I tried it recently and didn't really care for it.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. It'd be great to meet up with Richard and Abby to say HELLO. Moab is only a hop, skip and jump away for me and October is a gorgeous time of year to enjoy the desert.

I am going to visit with my editor in the morning to see about the week of Oct. 19-25, which we would prefer because of other events earlier in the month. If that won't work, Oct. 12-18 is the other option. I'll find out tomorrow and let everybody know. Remember that it takes us a day and a half to get to Moab. Abby and I are still talking about where to stay - Moab or Monticello. More on that later, too.

In any case, Utah here we come!

If you end up staying in Monticello I make a mean cheesecake (ask Rockgremlim - or rather ask his wife ) and we can hook you up with some Navajo Tacos.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    If you end up staying in Monticello I make a mean cheesecake (ask Rockgremlim - or rather ask his wife ) and we can hook you up with some Navajo Tacos.
    Our son Mitchell and I stayed in Monticello in June 2006, then in October of 2006 Abby and I stayed there with the dogs. We like it there a lot.

The June trip... http://richardbarron.net/galleries/point/
    The October trip... http://richardbarron.net/dd/twelvelegs/

I really like that Days inn in Monticello. They have a nice indoor pool
    See you on the Trail