Thread: Packing Light: Shelter in Northern Utah

Packing Light: Shelter in Northern Utah

I have a question about going light. (You can skip the story and go to the question if you want) The family is at the age that we can start going in a few miles, but they aren't at the age they can carry more than their sleeping bag and clothes, so I'm packing most of it and then mom is picking up the rest.
    So, I'm try my hardest to shed weight where i can.
    My pack is a 70L (I should say, is going to be 70L after I pick it up here - going with the Aether 70, again need the room).
    My question today is about shelter, I plan to pack a lightish 3-4 person tent for mom and the little ones and then for me and my older boy I want to be as minimalistic as possible, so I was thinking tarp. But everything I read online about tarp shelters has to do with the da***d AT .

How well do Tarp shelters weather here in northern Utah, obviously I'm not talking winter (if you have experience int winter, please share), since the little ones will be with us? Is it practical in the Uintas where you are pretty much guaranteed an afternoon shower? I'm not expecting pure comfort, but I do want a few hours of sleep.

Thanks!

edit(we're going to try a tarp in the backyard this friday night for a bit of a test run)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You also have to think bugs. Uintas is full of them and a net shelter would be a great gateway when they find you.

I have tried to go light and went with bivvy once, it was the worst night of my life. Once the bivvy got wet, it was mensurable the whole night. After that I picked up REI Quaterdome and haven't been happier ever since.

If you absolutely have to shed weight in the tent department, you might want to look at something like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/761895

Average packed weight is only 5 lbs, you get a net to hide from bugs and a rain fly for the rain.

Yeah, the bug thing is another question I had, thanks for bringing it Alex. And thanks for the anecdote, I was really hoping to hear from some experience and expected this was the place to get it.

That tent looks like a really good option.
    has anyone tried any of the tarptents from tarptent.com?

They said that they were going to come out with a 4 man this month or next that weighs in <=3 lbs. Any thoughts?

I haven't used a full on tarp shelter, but I use a tarptent, which is pretty similar:

http://tarptent.com/products.html

I've used it probably more in Southern Utah, but I've used it a fair amount in the Uinta's, Wasatch, and Wind Rivers. A lot of complaints are about condensation since you are using a single wall system. I can think of 3 or 4 out of 75 - 100 nights in it that condensation was an issue. Humidity is probably higher in the mountains but still nothing like along the AT. As long as there is the tiniest breeze none of my man sweat sticks to the walls in the morning, but I have had buildup a couple times. I've been in rain and hail and haven't had problems. Get the sides close to the ground but still with room to vent and you should be good. I'd imagine in sideways rain you might have issues, but even then if you pick a somewhat sheltered campsite you shouldn't have problems.

Edit: everyone is posting while I am typing. The bug thing would be an issue, my tarptent is sewn with mesh lining to keep them out. I love my tarptent, 2 man for under 2 lbs... and roomier than most 2 man tents. I'll buy another when this one dies on me.

Glad to hear a good review on the tarptent (I'm looking at the cloudburst2 or rainshodow2 after I see what their new 4 man looks like), I really want one, it is looking like the right solution, but would like to hear any other opinions that may be out there.

To be a devils advocate here, you mentioned you want a tent for a mom with kids, so I assume at least 3 people to sleep. According to the chart you'd need a Rainshadow 2 tent. The tarptent with the floor would be 52oz, which is 3.25 lbs. A little less than a standard tent. Also as far as I understand the tarptent is not freestanding, which was always a concern of mine.

i too have a shires tarptent. had it for 5 years or so. it has seen some VERY hard rain and VERY high winds and performed flawlessly. as stated the single wall construction means unavoidable condensation inside. the non free standing design can be difficult in spots. it is NOT roomy. crawling around the pole in the center of the entry is a P I A, and that pole is all flexy and hard to really torque down, i wish it had come with a more solid telescoping pole instead of that shock corded bendy one. it does have mesh to keep the crawly fly-e things out. hmmmm... i sound gripey. but for a bomber tent that weighs almost nothing and takes up little pack space it is awesome and then some. i only use a tent for sleeping in when it rains or is horrible buggy anyway. otherwise it is a storage area. it has been a looong time since i even looked at another tent, so don't know specifically, but i bet there are plenty of 2 person tents out there that are lighter weight. eureka makes the zeus series, which i also considered before getting the tarp tent, which is just under 4#'s, fre standing and single wall. my other solo tent is a eureka for when i do not care about weight and it is bomber as well.
    signature

Personally, I use a tent enough that I wouldn't skimp on one while say some place like the Uintas. I would try one of these.

Less than 5 lbs (two kids plus two adults):

http://www.rei.com/product/735320

3.5 lbs (One adult plus two small kids):

http://www.rei.com/product/708370

3 lbs (Two adults that like each other or one kid plus one adult):

http://www.rei.com/product/708370

They work fine for winter too.

I keep the windows open so haven't had a problem with condensation (yet at least).

Thanks everyone, this gives me a ton of great ideas.
    I really enjoy sleeping out, without shelter, but can't say the same for the wife and the little ones, but I figure it's time for the oldest boy to learn to love it--It's just inevitable that you've got to carry it for those times (rain, wind, snow, plain cold), so I figure I'd find out what the best or at least better option is and I feel a whole lot better about my options and ability to make a good decision now.

thanks again
    keep the opinions coming, if you have something to add or reiterate, please do, I'm sure I won't be the only one with this question.

With shaggy, Scott and goodball giving their opinions, I'd say you got the best advice this site can offer