Thread: Any one been up Timp yet?

Any one been up Timp yet?

We are backpacking up Timp this weekend (7/18-7/19) as a warm up to Kings Peak next month.

Does anyone know the snow situation near the summit? Can you make it all the way?

Also, any recommendations for campsite 4-6 miles up?

Thanks

>> Corey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't been up Timp yet this year, but it reminds me that it's one of the 50 things I wanted to do this summer!

I've camped around the shelter at Emerald Lake before. There is also some camping in the trees Southeast of the shelter. If you come up Timponeeke (sp?) there are a few more camping options than coming up from the Sundance area, since that route is really steep. It was nice to camp around Emerald Lake since the route up to the summit from the North, joins up nicely if you come back from the snowfield to the South right there.
    Mike

rockskicowboy who may chime in, but I know he doesn't have time to read posts too often anymore, climbed it the other day. Didn't get many details but he said there was a lot of snow and it was pretty adventurous, that's all the info I have.

When I hiked it a few years ago there was a young couple that just put there sleeping bag in the middle of the trail. I don't think they expected people to be hiking in the middle of the night like we were and we interrupted them doing the nasty. We just pretending not to notice them scrambling and walked by. You could try that, sleeping in the middle of the hiking trail
    The man thong is wrong.

I went up on Sunday - 7/13 from the American Fork side - (Timponeeke or something). There was a lot of snow on the bench around the high valley.(Where the rock fall from Emerald Lake to the saddle is all around the valley). I had to go through tons of steep snow to get to the saddle. I was wishing I had crampons, but was able to succeed after slipping a couple of times with hiking sticks. After the summit, I slid down to Emerald lake and it was frozen and there was a lot of goats hanging out. It was a fun trip - just more snow than I was real comfortable with. There was almost nobody up there compared to other times I have been due to all the snow. I liked the North route more than the route up from Aspen Grove.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    we interrupted them doing the nasty.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The man thong is wrong.

Thanks for the update. We will give it a try and I will get a TR up next week.

We will watch for the goats doing the nasty. (Wait, did I get the threads mixed up?)

Back to topic.....

Check out http://tert.org/