Thread: Dealing with Chafing

Dealing with Chafing

Dealing with Chafing - Cause and Prevention

You running along not a care in the world, so you think. A little later into the run and 'boy oh boy' you have a chafe and is it not irritating. The irritation you can cope with but now it has lead to an open wound and it is bleeding. People around are you ready to call in the paramedics, a helicopter is being radioed for. BUT .. before going to all that trouble lets discuss the problem and in so doing try to avoid the look of alarm when you cross the line with blood oozing from the chaffed areas. Yes, this can be a sensitive subject.

How is it caused : They say the major contribution to chafing is from sweating and rubbing. Many of us consider that chafing is a signal that it is time to lose weight, however even the skinniest eprsons can experience the same problem. Chafing generally takes place around the groin, underarms and nipples, but it can occur anywhere.

Prevention: Prevention of chafing falls into four categories: try to stay dry, keep hydrated, using a lubricant and wear the proper clothing. Lubrication before walking with petroleum jelly or an anti-chafing product such as Body Glide or Runner's Lube.

Try to stay dry: Go light on the deodorant roll-on as this can lead to a stickier situation. Use talcum powder, cornstarch or potato starch to stay dry, if absolutely necessary. If all else fails consider using a lubricant.

Hydration: Always drink lots of water during the day, keep hydrated during training and make sure you drink sufficient after exercise. This will assist you in perspiring freely so that the remanants don't dry into salt crystals which will make the possibility of chafing higher.

Lubrication: While exercising all kinds of lubricants are used to keep the skin areas sliding past each other instead of rubbing raw. Petroleum jelly, bag balm and udder cream are the longtime favourites. Make sure the lubricants are petroleum-free and non-staining. They can also be used on your feet and toes, in attempt to avoid blisters.

Clothing: Loose clothes may feel good on the trail, but to prevent chafing you need a snug fit. Bike shorts are designed to give a skin tight fit that will prevent chafing and are excellent if your trouble is in the lower body or thigh area. For the upper body, polypropylene or lycra tops that fit skin tight will do the trick. Also avoid wearing new clothes on a long run, during a hard session [ where the intensity is higher ] or race.

Treatment: Once you are chafed, treat the area like an open wound. Wash and clean with antiseptic to prevent infection and cover with a sterile gauze pad that allows the area to breathe until it is healed.

The worst chafe is the nipple area: There is nothing worse than trying to recover from chaffed nipples, as they stay tender for long after and the chance of them bleeding reoccurring is high. This affects both men and women.

Prevention: As above concentrate on using antichafing lubrication. Use fabrics that can deliver moisture from the skin to the outer layer .. the key word being 'sweat-wicking'. It is advisable for women to wear sweat-wicking sports bras. And if necessary wear plaster over nipples during your exercise.

All this may seem slightly 'over the top', but you will understand if you ever become a member of the CNS - the 'chafed nipple society', they can be seen wearing their distingushed badge of red on their tops.

Take heed and avoid the chafing dilemma.

source Time-to-Run - adapted from various articles

http://www.time-to-run.com/tips/chafing.htm
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I posted this with one thing in mind. I hate chaffing, and I'd like to know your secrets.

I hate chaffing, and I'd like to know your secrets.
    Desitin

I'm no skinny minny but I do like bust into a run sometimes. Tighter clothing, vaporwick material is my secret.

One of the WORST chaffing incidents I've ever had came from surfing for the first time....the wax on the surfboard rubbed my whole stomach AMONG other sensitive areas RAW. OH MY GOODNESS!!! A and D ointment was my hero.

During our last trip through the Subway, one person in the group fell victim to chaffing. I had never even heard of this conditions before, but it looked horrible. Inner thighs just below the shorts were worn raw. After brainstorming for a bit it was decided that the only way to fix the problem - duct tape! We taped up the thighs and off the victim went.

No one has dared to ask the victim how it was removing the tape after the trip. No one really wants to know.

I did learn about chaffing. Glad it was not me!

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia

No one has dared to ask the victim how it was removing the tape after the trip. No one really wants to know.

I did learn about chaffing. Glad it was not me!

INVENTIVE? Hell ya! HAHA!!!

To be removed = silky smooth and hairless thighs. OUCH! Worse than the chaffing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I posted this with one thing in mind. I hate chaffing, and I'd like to know your secrets.
    Bodyglide rules!

Keeping the fly wide open when hiking helps...I have a pair of german military pants that have reinforced holes in the crotch - works very well to keep cool and dry...wonder why outdoor companies haven't picked it up.

Gold Bond in both powder and extra strength lotion form. I deal with this everyday underground...90+ degrees, 100% humidity, fully clothed, safety gear and all. Yes, Gold Bond is my friend!
    I used to chafe every once in a while when surfing but I learned to reapply copious amounts of sunscreen often...more than needed just to keep lubed.

I can't find a better video. The office fun run. Andy has sensitive nipples so he tapes them.
    [youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=vpxOB93k3r4[/youtube]
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Andy has sensitive nipples so he tapes them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Inner thighs just below the shorts were worn raw.
    I really need to learn to NOT click on these threads.

I can't find a better video. The office fun run. Andy has sensitive nipples so he tapes them.
    Yes. I imagine some of us have the problem of being born with sensitive nipples. What are your solutions? A friend told me of some home made remedy to ease the pain but since I decided to tough it out I did not bother to write it down. I can find out though if anyone's interested :-)
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    Yes. I imagine some of us have the problem of being born with sensitive nipples. What are your solutions? A friend told me of some home made remedy to ease the pain but since I decided to tough it out I did not bother to write it down. I can find out though if anyone's interested :-)

Toughen them up with a little light sanding every day until desired effect is reached.
    I'm not in Utah, but I like Utah, really..

I have tried duct tape, and hear that it works but I did not have successs with that. I found this thread to be useful. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I have tried duct tape, and hear that it works but I did not have successs with that. I found this thread to be useful. Thanks guys.
    Duct tape my nipples?
    No way in hell.
    ever see 40 year old virgin?
    no tape on any hairy parts of me!
    But duct tape is fanfrickintastic for blisters!

My wife has sensitive thighs also. But I found that if I shave everyday it's not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8grvty
    But duct tape is fanfrickintastic for blisters!

No kidding, it works just as well as moleskin, but it is tons cheaper. You have to love duct tape!

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    My wife has sensitive thighs also. But I found that if I shave everyday it's not so bad.
    Ahahah, good one. Maybe I should shave more than once every couple of months--it sounds as though there are some good side benefits to shaving that I hadn't considered.