Thread: sabrina basin - sierra nevada

sabrina basin - sierra nevada

left friday after work and camped in the white mountains that night. up early saturday and into big pine for breakfast at the country kitchen/diner... ? something like that. it was yummy. bacon and shroom oomlet. and not that wimpy bacon bits size bacon, big whole strips folded in. and rye bread.
    next stop the ranger station in bishop. permits. lake sabrina. and the "ooh's" and "ahh's" commence !

the trail was really nice, very well made and maintained. there were stairs like these averywhere. the distance from th to blue lake is only 3 miles, and it is a moderately strenuous hike w/ some steep switchbacks interspersed w/ steady, gentler grades. not bad at all, one of the bargain basement "price of admission" hikes i have ever had.

we started out blue skies, but by blue lake the blue was gone, replaced by gray's.

shortly after arrival we experienced the obligatory afternoon dump. 2 hours of rain and hail and wind. awesome (in my best cartman voice, which really isn't very good, so maybe imagine it in cartman's voice in the first place, that'd be better).

after that i went a wanderin'. unfortunately lori had a headache from the altitude so i headed up to baboon lakes sans lori.

just around the corner from camp...

more moderately strenuous hiking got me to the lowest baboon lake in 2 miles (i think,maybe less). larger snow fields started hanging out up here. very nice.

mosquito's were wicked nasty ! stop moving for 2 seconds and there are hundreds bellying up to the bar that is my body. sons of bitches ! from lower baboon i followed its outlet down cross country to return to camp. god there is so much water ! why have i always made mountain trips in mid to late august ? tons and tons and tons of water moving during spring melt-off. it was incredible. one bench after another of falls and streams and meadows. really nice.

angler atop lower baboon outlet

meadow looking back to the cirque above baboon lakes

then it was dinner and "go fish". lori is a cheater, don't ever play cards w/ her. we started out playing poker and i think she got mad that i trounced her pretty good w/ a straight to start, then a full house. suddenly poker is no fun, lets play go fish. i rock. just not at go fish. then the day was done.

next morning we had clear blue skies. yay ! that lseted an hour, then it started slowly building back up for the obligatory afternoon dump. but before that i headed over to the dingleberry lake side of sabrina basin to take a look-see. the hike over was quite easy and 2 miles i believe.

then back to blue lake to hike out

if you look real close you can see the huge waterfall near the middle of the photo. it is fed by numerous ribboned falls tumbling all the way down from the basin above. and below and right of it is an even harder to make out, slightly smaller falls.

sabrina lake w/ falls

then the big stupid drive home so i can go to my big stupid job that keeps me out the big fun outdoors.

full pics here if u want - http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/564113047SPWBKh
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, nice report! And those pictures are awesome.

I've never heard of this place so you got me looking it up.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

Excellent (in a Smithers voice).

Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll
    Wow, nice report! And those pictures are awesome.

I've never heard of this place so you got me looking it up.
    thanks.

the rangers said it sees light to moderate travel because none of the trails "go anywhere". no maintained trails over to the jmt on the other side of this basin. dingleberry lakes had 1/2 a dozen parties all crowded around its inlet and that side of the basin is more popular according to a ranger we saw on the way out. more lakes and a broader basin that side. a few more options for wandering. i saw the anglers up at lower baboon (2 tents, dad and kids), and we had one other party of 2 across from blue lake, but that was all i saw blue lake side. nice paved road 15 miles from bishop keeps day use pretty steady. you can rent boats and kayaks at sabrina lake i think. and we saw anglers pulling trout out of streams even before we got to the th. really cool area w/ a variety of options.
    signature

Very cool, thanks for the pics, looks like an amazing area. I love this time of year, after the snow melts out and the mountains open up for us to play in, they have to be the most beautiful places on earth. Then again I love when canyon country cools off... and when the mountains fill with snow... and... well I guess I love every season

Excellent!!!!

I've GOT to get back to the Sierras. It is so beautiful up there!

Thanks!

Re: sabrina basin - sierra nevada

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    left friday after work and camped in the white mountains that night. up early saturday and into big pine for breakfast at the country kitchen/diner... ? something like that. it was yummy. bacon and shroom oomlet. and not that wimpy bacon bits size bacon, big whole strips folded in. and rye bread.
    next stop the ranger station in bishop. permits. lake sabrina. and the "ooh's" and "ahh's" commence !

Hey!
    I was camped in the White Mountains too on Friday night!
    I didn't see you!

Great TR and photos Jason!
    I LOVE that area of the Sierras.

Hope to meet up with you guys next time!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Nice report! There are definitely some framable pics from that trip.
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH