Thread: Utah Hunting Draws

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

Utah Hunting Draws

What's the deal with the Hunting "lottery" in Utah?

My boys and I got our blue cards last winter and have enrolled in every draw open this year (turkey, elk, antlered deer, antlerless deer) and have been unsuccessful in every draw.

Considering this is our first year, I thought we'd get some sort of preference, but the opposite seems true. I was even unsuccessful getting an antlerless draw in the Allan Ranch area for Pronghorn; how bad is that?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The draw system works on points. Every time you get an unsuccessful draw you earn a point towards that particular hunt. So the next year when you put in for a hunt you will have one point plus your application. Each point you have acts as another application going into that particular draw.

So say you draw unsuccessful on the buck deer hunt, with that unsuccessful drawing you earn a point towards buck deer. So the next year you put in for buck deer, you will actualy have two applications going in to the pot.
    But if you have a point for buck deer and you do not put in for the hunt that following year. You will not lose your point. But your point will not go into the draw either. The only time you lose your points is when you draw the tag for that hunt. Hope this makes since.

Ahhh the ol' point system.

If your just starting out and depending on your age...the chances of you pulling a limited entry type tag can be extremely slim. The premium deer and elk tags take +15 points to be guaranteed a tag. Every year it gets worse and worse with the points needed going up. Some tags like the Henries deer tag are getting to be out of reach period.

Outside the limited entry and premium tags for big game, you should be able to pull a general deer tag most years. Even those now are not a guarantee. Look at taking up archery or muzzle loader. Odds are better in getting a tag. The archery deer tags for this fall are already sold out.

In regards to turkeys...well those are basically like the big game draw. Fortunately the turkeys are doing very well and the DWR is allocating more tags every year. It is still in general a few years wait though.

Antelope are far from a given in the draw. Look at WY for an antelope hunt. If you don't care, you should be able to get on public land for a doe antelope every year.

Get a dog...and take go after some upland game. Just buy a tag and go for it!