Thread: Favorite Uinta Spot

Favorite Uinta Spot

Mine would be Red Castle via Bald Mountain. Did it a few years ago and loved it. Absolutely gorgeous, fantastic hike, and decent fishing.

The previous TR about it made me very jealous.
    Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

uhhh... yea, and I probably should have posted the link in here hu? Oops, forgot there is a backpacking section, here is a link (although I'm sure pretty much everyone checks the hiking section that checks here).

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12819

I have done the bald mountain route several times - even camped at bald mountain, went around the knoll, and climbed on top to catch the trail. I love the Red Castle area for scenery, but hate it for fishing, solitude, etc. If you do Red Castle you MUST go up to Smiths Fork Pass - the waterfalls and lakes are amazing.

My favorite area in the Uintas, that I will talk about, would have to be the Upper Lakefork and Oweep drainages. The country is huge, not busy, and absolutely stunning. The only problem I have run across is the sheep that can be in the area - but that happens in the majority of the Uintas. I think the worst areas are: Naturalist Basin & Granddaddy. Especially Granddaddy - the scenery is not that great, the fishing sucks, and there are too many people. At least the Naturalist Basin has scenery.

I have been to almost every drainage and fished hundreds of the lakes. The best places are off trail areas. I have camped in the Wind River range and found it amazing how hard people work to get into an area - trail or no trail. The Uintas are just the opposite - people are lazy. If there isn't a trail, then the people won't go to it, thus the great fishing and scenery at some of the most remote areas.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

I have many favorite areas. Some are:

Allsop Lake area
    Deadhorse Lake area
    (Another vote for) Red Castle from Bald Mountain
    Cliff Lake area
    Oweep Basin
    Upper NW section of Rock Creek

Especially Granddaddy - the scenery is not that great, the fishing sucks, and there are too many people.
    I mostly agree, though there are some good fishing lakes around that area. Although all areas of the Uintas are beautiful, I agree that Granddaddy area is over rated and not as scenic as some of the other places.

If there isn't a trail, then the people won't go to it, thus the great fishing and scenery at some of the most remote areas.
    Agree there. Here are some notes/comments I've written on some of the places:

The Cathedral is one of my favorite peaks in the Rockies. This is a spectacular, but seldom climbed peak. Last year I received a message from SP member Joseph Bullough. It read: Just as you mentioned, there was no sign of previous climbers anywhere; no cairns, footprints, summit register, or summit cairn. My ascent was 15 years previous.
    [quote]"Priord Peak" is a beautiful peak in a wilderness setting. In 1991, on my second ascent of the peak, I placed a summit register (removed in 2006). Last year I received a message from someone whom I recommended the peak to, and whom climbed it. The message read: [i]

I have many favorite areas. Some are:

Allsop Lake area
    Deadhorse Lake area
    I am thinking about doing this, this coming holiday weekend. Into Allsop. over to Deadhorse, out and around over to Priord and out.

Any thoughts?

I am thinking about doing this, this coming holiday weekend. Into Allsop. over to Deadhorse, out and around over to Priord and out.

Any thoughts?
    It possible to go Allsop to Priord or Allsop to Deadhorse, but the way you have it planned you are going Allsop over to Deadhorse, back to Allsop then Priord? Allsop to Deadhorse is a lot of work to do one way, let alone both. If you want to see all three lakes, start at East Fork Bear, go over the Bear River-Smiths Fork trail to West Fork Blacks Fork, up to Deadhorse Lake, over the pass to Allsop (if doing it in this direction, make sure to head north from the saddle early), over the pass to Priord and back down the trail to East Fork Bear River. Also make sure to hike down river from Allsop until just east of Cathedral for more good views. The above would be a rugged hike, but nice.

Oops, double post.

It possible to go Allsop to Priord or Allsop to Deadhorse, but the way you have it planned you are going Allsop over to Deadhorse, back to Allsop then Priord?
    Actually I was planning on going up the left hand fork of the east fork of the bear river into Allsop, over the ridge to the east to deadhorse lake. Then pick up the highline trail and head over dead horse pass, past ledge lake, over ostler pass and then to Priord lake. Finally coming back out on the right hand fork of the east fork of the bear river. So pretty much about a 28 mile loop.

Its somewhat contrived and based loosely on an idea in High Uinta Trails by Davis and Veranth.

Actually I was planning on going up the left hand fork of the east fork of the bear river into Allsop, over the ridge to the east to deadhorse lake. Then pick up the highline trail and head over dead horse pass, past ledge lake, over ostler pass and then to Priord lake. Finally coming back out on the right hand fork of the east fork of the bear river. So pretty much about a 28 mile loop.
    That would work. The only problem is missing much of the West Fork Blacks Fork drainage, which is one of the best in the Uintas, but it could always be done another time.

Anyway, "Allsop Pass" between Allsop Lake and Deadhorse Lake is a good workout with a pack, but really beautiful. Deadhorse Pass isn't too bad, but sometimes the snowbank last a long time and an ice axe is helpful. The pass above Priord Lake isn't bad, but also holds a snowbank late in the year sometimes. The trail is mostly gone and the key to descend it is to look for scraps of trail to the left while starting the descent. Plunging straight down the slope will land you into loose scree, so it's worth the effort to try and look for the scaps of old trail.

Anyway, "Allsop Pass" between Allsop Lake and Deadhorse Lake is a good workout with a pack, but really beautiful. Deadhorse Pass isn't too bad, but sometimes the snowbank last a long time and an ice axe is helpful. The pass above Priord Lake isn't bad, but also holds a snowbank late in the year sometimes. The trail is mostly gone and the key to descend it is to look for scraps of trail to the left while starting the descent. Plunging straight down the slope will land you into loose scree, so it's worth the effort to try and look for the scaps of old trail.
    Thanks for the advice. I don't own a ice axe, so hopefully its not too bad.

I head out tomorrow, and am pumped.

I really like the Chain Lakes area. 5 lakes to fish and the fishing has always been really good. Cutts and Broolies in the 4 Chain Lakes and Okey Dokey Lake has some beautiful Goldens in it. Camp in the meadow about a mile below the lower Chain Lake and day trip up to the lakes. The only people we see and there are only a few, are the ones heading down, so they are only passing through.
    Okey Doke is about five miles from the meadow and well worth the hike. The Four Chain Lake has some pretty decent sized Cutts in it, but they are very vary and hard to catch. But when you do hook up, generally they are 13' to 19'. 19' being the biggest we have cought out of it. Great spring for water on the third Chain. Brain freeze cold!!!

Gary