Thread: Bells Canyon TR (up to the first waterfall)

Bells Canyon TR (up to the first waterfall)

We headed out from the parking lot on Wasatch Blvd around 9 a.m. and were back around 1 p.m on Saturday.

My friend's little one is just getting used to the great outdoors so we wanted a trail that's close to home and not too long (she hated walking up to Dog Lake last week and we had to turn back) so this was perfect.

After the initial steep warm-up leading right up to the lower lake, it was all smooth sailing from there.

The lake is off limits to swimmers, apparently the only animals allowed to pee in it are the ducks. We came up on a nice little family.

From the lake onwards, the trail was pretty flat, then turned slightly steeper but easy. We passed the creek a few times. There were no bugs.

The last few hundreds yards right before the falls got quite steep. The steep terrain leading to the waterfall was very muddy but there were plenty of trees to hang on to. The waterfall itself gave a nice watery breeze. It was well worth it.

Despite some steep parts, the trip back was very quick. Some of us got to sleep on our way down, heh.
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very nice, thanks for the TR, I've done that one probably 20 times or more, it's my favorite quick, close to the valley, workout hike. Take a quick run to the waterfall and back, just steep enough to work out the legs but not brutal. If you get a chance the upper falls is very nice as well, not as photogenic, but more impressive in real life. The upper lake is nice, but the meadows above it are better in my opinion. It's a long steep trek though. Thanks for the pics.

Nice TR. Looks like a great place to hike this time of year. I wish I had some place like it to hike close to home, either with or without my kids.

Beautiful area and great trip report.

I love seeing all the greenery.

Enjoyed your TR and pix. Quite a job, hiking up there with a load.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    I love this hike. It's only about 1 1/2 miles from where I live so it's quite convenient. Weekdays are better if you don't want crowds. Beautiful photos!
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

YAY for your first TR!!!! Loving the waterfall. WOW so pretty! And I don't miss those days of hauling kiddos up on the backpack. HAHA!!! Good job Kaptain!!! You deserve a Scotch on the rocks!

Looks awesome. Love to see parents taking the kids out. It is such a bonding experience to carry your kids on your back.
    The man thong is wrong.

Thank you guys for your kind words. Bonding experience, huh? Maybe I should strap my cats to my backpack and let them see the world, heh.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    Maybe I should strap my cats to my backpack and let them see the world, heh.
    Just protect your neck and ears.
    The man thong is wrong.

Truthfully I liked it more before it became a park. Alas the new trail is nicer than hiking up the access road like before. We used to swim in it all the time as kids. I can't quite remember when the change was made, but at some point they took out the dam, well at least they brought the top of the earthen dam down 10-20 feet as they were worried about it rupturing. Still a great place for a quick afternoon/evening hike.

Great pics too!