Thread: Our trip to The Wave on July 5, 2008

Our trip to The Wave on July 5, 2008

I do not recall when I became aware of The Wave, but it has been a destination of ours for quite sometime now.

We had permits to go November 30, 2007. I remember the date so clearly because we did not go on from Vegas to The Wave, but turned back home. The weather had turned dark, John had business that required his attention and we were insecure about going out there alone. I spent November 30th keeping John's best friend, who was ill with cancer, company by buying groceries, de-molding the fridge, and cooking him lunch. He could not get enough Jimmy Dean sausage and orange juice! At the time I did not know that this was going to be the last time I would see Keith. He died 19 days later. It was worth missing The Wave to spend one last day with Keith.

Every month John applied for another permit, and every month we lost. Then we finally won!!! Saturday, July 5, 2008. This was in the middle of a three day holiday weekend at the hottest time of the year. No one wanted to join us. "It will be really hot out there!" With the knowledge that we going alone, and the time to prepare, we became confident that we would make it to The Wave.

This trip quickly became epic when we were 2 and 1/2 hours from home and the car stared to overheat. We turned around and went back home and got the truck. It took us 9 hours, instead of the usual 3 hours, to get to Vegas. A very late (but profitable) Vegas party night made the next day a rough travel day for John. A late lunch stop at the Thunder Bird was a treat. They have great turkey gravy for dipping french fries! We spent the night in Kanab and left pre-dawn for the trailhead.

Our arrival at the trailhead was perfectly timed with the rising of the sun. The sky was very overcast and it was sprinkling off and on. The air was cool and I put on my fleece as we began the hike. We had no difficulty hiking to the Wave, ate a snack and explored around the area. Because of my wrist injury, we were unable to get up to the arch area. We found plenty of dinosaur tracks. What a one-of-a-kind beautiful place! I now understand why they only allow 20 people a day to visit. It was interesting that, according to the registars, all 20 people were out in the Wave the day before. They must have been frying their brains out in the heat! We met two couples from Austria, a couple from France and two guys from Belgium. We were the only Americans out there. On the way back, it started to sleet and hail on us - it stung on the bare arms and legs. I swear that as the rain began to fall, the plant life jumped to life. All plant life just began to burst with crisp clear colors. The weather was perfect to me!

We plan to go back again this fall, if we can get another permit so soon, and check out the arch and alcove. John wants some pictures with sun and blue sky. I like our overcast and cool pictures. You have no idea how nice it was to be so cool and comfortable on July 5, 2008 in the middle of the Utah/Arizona desert!

High from our trip to The Wave, we had supper at the North Rim and headed home on Sunday morning. The traffic was so bad, we only made it to Vegas. Got up at 2:30am Monday and I made it to work a 8am.

We finally made it to The Wave!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

!!!!!!!

Awesome photos John and Felicia! Of all the many times I've been out there I prefer cloudy, stormy weather the best. This trip really brought out the colors in your photos. I bet the moisture and life abounding sipping the rare commodity was truly special! Thanks so much for showing your adventure and thanks for the attention, and special care you gave to someone in need. I bet the orange juice and food given wasn't nearly as much appreciated as just your simple presence! Good on 'ya'!

Thanks Bo!

I was shocked at how the desert came alive with the moisture. There was one plant that was most impressive: it turned blue/green and became really fluffy.

Here is a picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bogley BigShot
    You found the dino tracks! Yah! Wonderful photos and trip report!

Enjoyed your TR, Felicia, and so glad you made it to the Wave. My first time there (in March) was excellent because it was cool and overcast until I got there, then the sun came out. I only saw three people all day, so that is a good time of year to go. also, it was easy to get a walk-in permit. I've heard of good hikers having trouble out there in July when it's hot. You were lucky, I think.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Nice report and pictures, Felicia. The only time I was there the weather was the same as yours. Great on seeing the Dino tracks, I missed those.

Say Hi to John for me.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Great photos and I loved reading your post. A great read. I am glad you made it to the wave.

Sweet TR! I was in Zion that very day and agree it was absolutely perfect weather. I also had no idea that tickets were so hard to get for that place. The hardest tickets to get I find are for Subway but those seem even harder!

Also glad to hear you got your pics resized properly with your Mac. They look great.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Nice TR

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    I was shocked at how the desert came alive with the moisture. There was one plant that was most impressive: it turned blue/green and became really fluffy.
    QFE

ditto on the pics. The wave is high on my list of places to visit. Too bad nobody in my family shares the excitement. Someday...
    The man thong is wrong.

Nice pictures.

Appreciate the trip report, another spot on the list now. Thanks for the pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    ditto on the pics. The wave is high on my list of places to visit. Too bad nobody in my family shares the excitement. Someday...
    Go alone, I did. My wife is unable to hike any distance, so I frequently go out there in the wilderness by myself.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    You found the dino tracks! Yah! Wonderful photos and trip report!
    Your beta was great!

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

It was a great trip and I look forward to getting back out there soon.

you really lucked out with that rain!