Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Hiking Ideas - What's Bryce Like?

Summer Hiking Ideas - What's Bryce Like?

I am looking to take a week of vacation this month, maybe with our son Mitchell, who is 15. I don't like hiking in the desert heat, so I was thinking that Bryce Canyon might be a good destination. Since it is at 7000 feet, is it cooler than the lower desert areas in July? Is there enough hiking to keep us entertained? Also, how crowded do you imagine it will be? Finally, what's the best route to get there coming from the southeast? Thanks in advance. -Richard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Bryce is beautiful but brutal in the summer due to the fact you are hiking in full sun most of the time. Do early morning and later afternoon hikes. Mosey Cave is a fun and short one with a refreshing waterfall. Nearby is Willis Creek a slot canyon with a cool stream.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/bhike.htm

nearby

http://www.zionnational-park.com/gshike.htm

weather linkage: http://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisi...heroutlook.htm

Looks pretty good, still hot when in the sun though. I haven't been there forever. Be sure to post a TR when you get back so I know what to do with my kidders when we go down!
    The man thong is wrong.

Thanks, Tanya! Is there affordable lodging nearby? Otherwise, we would probably camp. -R

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Thanks, Tanya! Is there affordable lodging nearby? Otherwise, we would probably camp. -R
    You could camp nearby at Red Canyon (http://www.utah.com/nationalsites/redcanyon.htm) and be sure to put a Red Canyon hike on the agenda.

Good tip on Red Canyon and Willis Creek.

I'd put a trip to Cedar Breaks on the list. You could do the short Alpine Pond hike and Spectra Pt in an easy day. Drive up on Brianhead, too. Cascade Falls is nice but the trail is closed for the season. Cedar Break is at at 10,000 ft and it's always comfortable in Summer. (great photo ops, too)

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: Summer Hiking Ideas - What's Bryce Like?

I don't like hiking in the desert heat, so I was thinking that Bryce Canyon might be a good destination. Since it is at 7000 feet, is it cooler than the lower desert areas in July?
    While still summer and sunny, I'd say yes the high elevation would make it "cooler" compared to other places during the same time. Averages at Bryce 83 degrees is pleasant compared to the lower desert areas in the upper 100's.

YMMV

Bogley BigShot
    The trails in Red Canyon have never thrilled me much but the camping is less crowded.

Info
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/red-canyon-hiking.htm

Take a look at this too, the best things for first time visitors in the area to not miss.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/bry...n-vacation.htm

Hey Richard, You must be in Bryce at sunrise. It is truly spectacular. Darn near spiritual! When I was there last time me and only two or three others were the only ones on the trails for the main event.... sunrise. The lighting and shadows are something else. Have fun.
    Life is Good

Have you never been to Bryce Richard?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    The farthest west in Utah I have been is Capital Reef. Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Zion, Escalante, and the Wave are all on my A list.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    The farthest west in Utah I have been is Capital Reef. Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Zion, Escalante, and the Wave are all on my A list.

Cedar Breaks and hiking on Highway 14 (DNF) that is where its cool to hike. Bryce is up high but that dang sun is a killer during most of the day. I love Ashdown Gorge of all the hikes in the area the most.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/dix...st-ashdown.htm

For Sheer Beauty... Bryce is amazing. You walk the rim early in the morning or late in the day and its simply gorgeous!

Camp?

Will I be able to get a tent camping site in the park? If not, what would be my best bet for camping or cheap lodging? Thanks. -R

Bogley BigShot

Re: Camp?

Will I be able to get a tent camping site in the park? If not, what would be my best bet for camping or cheap lodging? Thanks. -R

Try for the rustic lodge cabins for sure. If not then do Ruby's Inn. The Best Western at the entrance. There are a few motels scattered on either side of the park entrance on HIghway 12 between Highway 89 and Tropic. Cannyonvillie is a cute town too and the GSENM VC is there. The nearest town is Panguitch.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/bmap.htm

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: Camp?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Try for the rustic lodge cabins for sure. If not then do Ruby's Inn.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/bmap.htm
    I understand the Ruby's Inn has tent camping space too.

Based on what I am seeing on the web, there isn't much in terms of hotel/motel services during the week of July 21-25. Do you imagine I will be able to find camping nearby? An alternative is to stay farther away, in Cedar City or Escalante. Notions? Ideas?

I would suggest just camping, but I'm cheap.

I am sure that if you decide for certain where you are wanting to spend your time, we can help you find a place to camp.

I barely can afford the gas to these places yet alone a hotel. I have never had an issue finding a place to camp.

For that matter, I recommend you guys just hike the Narrows. You are in the shade and the river for most of the hike, so the temp doesn't really matter. Zion is an awesome place.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Re: Summer Hiking Ideas - What's Bryce Like?

I am looking to take a week of vacation this month, maybe with our son Mitchell, who is 15. I don't like hiking in the desert heat, so I was thinking that Bryce Canyon might be a good destination. Since it is at 7000 feet, is it cooler than the lower desert areas in July? Is there enough hiking to keep us entertained?
    hi richard. aside from the fact i tend to prefer to spend my time very far off the beaten path, bryce has always been one of my favorite places.

many would suggest a combination of bryce and zion. i think there is a lot of wonderful places in bryce, but, outside of the amphitheatre it's mostly pink cliffs and extensive conifers (which always turns me on). anyway, as you probably already know, the national park guide cover is a photo taken at sunrise at inspiration point. this is a superlative place to watch the sunrise. highly recommended. get out early with your breakfast and enjoy the entire sunrise from dark to light.

as far as hiking, i'd recommend the fairyland loop trail, anything around the amphitheatre and various places off the road to the south, especially the trail from yovimpa point along the rim to the point where the trail drops down to riggs spring. there are fantastic vantage points along this trail (and off the trail). the cliffs where the trail drops down to riggs spring catch magnificent sun in the morning. i've camped out there on the rim and enjoyed them when the cliffs burning red in the mornin' sun

the under the rim trail is best when enjoyed as a multiday backpack IMO.

Finally, what's the best route to get there coming from the southeast?
    do you mind modestly rugged dirt roads? if approaching from powell, the cottonwood wash road is quite nice and you could enjoy many places along the way (like yellow rock & kodachrome basin). also through capitol reef, over boulder mtn and through escalante along highway 12 is as good as it gets in utah for scenic highway drivin'.

enjoy ... greatly looking forward to your photos.

Tanya, so far everything is coming up already booked/full. I guess I'll end up camping. So back to my original question: is tent camping easy to find, or will I end up driving circles for hours waiting for vacancies? Any ideas would be helpful. -R