Thread: TR: Bighorn Cavern

TR: Bighorn Cavern

I just got back from some Wyoming caving and the rocky mountain regional. I'm just starting through the pics and vids, but here's some to start...

Bighorn Cavern has about a 70 foot entrance rappel and has over 8 miles of caverns. The sections we explored this trip had tons of awesome gypsum flowers, and other cool stuff that I don't know the name of .

Attached Images Attached Images                     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

hello

i was wondering about the bighorn cavern, like where its located and the rescrictions on caving there.

Nice TR!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Re: hello

Quote Originally Posted by runin_by
    i was wondering about the bighorn cavern, like where its located and the rescrictions on caving there.
    That's alot to ask for on your first post.
    The man thong is wrong.

Very nice---looks like some nice Aragonite crystal formations too. Prettttyyyy----
    You can rest when you're dead

Nice onesies :)
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Re: hello

Quote Originally Posted by runin_by
    Bighorn cavern is a Wyoming/Montana cave. To gain access you have to get the key and a permit from the local division in Lovell Wyoming. Your best bet is to join a local grotto. Through your involvement in a grotto you can gain the needed experience to venture into this cave and be able to get a permit to enter.

Here's some information on doing Bighorn Cavern
    http://gapstone.brinkster.net/bighorn.htm

Bighorn cave system (connected to horsetheif) crosses under the border of Montana and Wyoming. Bighorn cave's entrance (which is in Montana) is a solution fissure, that drops vertical for 78'. Technical gear is required to enter.

Bighorn cave was discovered in 1961 and gated in 1972. The cave seems to be formed by an artesian aquifier, but there are solution dolines that have formed red clay crystals, known as buddas, or chimineys (also found in horsetheif). The major passages run east/west, with minors running norh/south.

A connection point exists between Horsetheif and Bighorn, but was permantly plugged with concrete for the reason of the connection being before Horsetheif's gate.

Horsetheif and Bighorn Caves both contain high readings of radon gas, which has been known to cause lung cancer. An allowable amount of time in the caves is 180 hours of exposure a year.

The key and permit can be obtained from the Bighorn Canyon Recreation Center in Lovell, WY.

Very cool as always jumar. Looks like a lot of fun! Pull anyone out with your truck this time?
    -- Austin

Quote Originally Posted by millsclimber
    Very cool as always jumar. Looks like a lot of fun! Pull anyone out with your truck this time?
    Yep, anytime anyone wants to do it. Watch your head though:

That's awesome I wanna try! How hard is that on your rope?
    -- Austin

Quote Originally Posted by millsclimber
    That's awesome I wanna try! How hard is that on your rope?
    There is a thick, smooth bar over the top for the rope.