Thread: Training Day - SECOND POST CLARIFICATION

Training Day - SECOND POST CLARIFICATION

Josh and I went up AF canyon to a wall (I don't know it's name) just down from the cave visitors center to do some training.
    We started out with a couple different anchors and some anchor discussion. We though about doing a contingency anchor but with the river nearby and traffic noise it would be hard to communicate between the guy on the rope and the guy working the contingency so we will wait and do that when we have radios.
    We spent some time talking and reading about rescue scenarios, but we didn't practice anything that aggressive.
    We then spent some time practicing passing a knot while rappelling. We were practicing using Josh's tailgate as a stand to get us onto the rope rather than starting at the top and trying to pass a knot mid-rope. Good thing too, because neither of us has done this before some it took a bit of figuring out and adjusting prussic lengths. There were a couple times I had to stand up onto the tailgate to make adjustments. But in the end we each ran though it a few times from start to finish without standing back up and we are both pretty confident with this skill.
    We then used Josh's bumper to tie off the guide rope for a guided rappel; another thing neither of us had ever done before. The anchor was kinda cheating, but it was fun practice. This is something I want to use in the field; fun stuff.
    Josh climbed a bit while I pulled our static rope and anchor. He bought a petzl shunt recently and even though I think he's nuts he loves climbing with that attached to a top rope to serve as his belay. He didn't even want me to belay him.
    Then beer and off to family BBQ's and fireworks.
    Pictures:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This is our anchor, note the neon green webbing as it will also be in the next photo.

This is where the anchor meets the rope. Also shown is the second anchor (that big rock & it will be in the next couple photos)

Closer shot of the anchor webbing meeting the rope.

A better shot of the rock and green webbing used for the second anchor.

This shot is of us cheating by using Josh's truck as the lower anchor of a guided rappel.

The guided rappel from the lower anchors perspective.

Josh coming down the guided rap.

Me coming down the guided rap.

This next photo seems to be the cause of some confusion. We did not use this Bachman hitch while doing the above guided rappel. For the guided rappel we used regular old Petlz Pirana rappel devices. The Bachman hitch pictured next is what I used to secure myself on the rope while training to pass a knot on rappel. (next few photos are of knot passing training).

This is me standing on Josh's truck preparing to attempt to pass a knot.

This is me passing a knot. Note the Bachman hitch above me that is holding my weight.

Still passing a knot.

And still passing the knot. (Again you can see the Bachman hitch).

This shunt is what Josh used to support himself while passing a knot.

Here is Josh passing a knot. (Note the Shunt above him).

Again Josh passing the knot.

Josh stepping up while passing a knot.

Josh almost got it.

Josh passed the knot just above the ground and then rapped to this sitting on his ass position.

Josh setting the dynamic climbing rope.

Josh climbing.

Josh still climbing.

Me with beer.

Josh with beer.

Any questions?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Don
    If your ever in the Cedar City area give me a holler. I'd be glad to take you to our training area and help with your knot passing technique if your interested.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Don
    If your ever in the Cedar City area give me a holler. I'd be glad to take you to our training area and help with your knot passing technique if your interested.
    I appreciate the offer! We seem to have the general idea, but I would love to see this done by someone who knows what their doing and has practiced it awhile. It would be nice to get some pointers.

Were you guys up there last night (Sunday)? We were doing some hiking and on the way down I saw a blue truck with a guy that looked just like Josh in it. I told my wife and she didn't believe it was him.
    The man thong is wrong.

Rookie
    Were you guys up there last night (Sunday)? We were doing some hiking and on the way down I saw a blue truck with a guy that looked just like Josh in it. I told my wife and she didn't believe it was him.
    Ya that was me. I went up with my sister. She just moved down from Boise and I thought I would show her a good spot. You should of stopped or threw something out the window at me at least!
    "All we are is a result of what we have thought"

I was going to turn around but I wasn't 100% sure it was you either. Next time I will.
    The man thong is wrong.

We're going up again tomorrow after work if you want to meet up Jaxx.

I guess there has been some concern that Josh and I used a Bachman hitch to rappel down our guided rappel. This is not the case and for anyone who may have gotten that impression that is definitely not how it should be done. Due to the sequence of the photos I can maybe see how someone might think that so the second post in this thread has been edited to include text for clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    We're going up again tomorrow after work if you want to meet up Jaxx.
    gotta work on the car. Lower ball joints!
    The man thong is wrong.