Thread: Rear Shock Advice

Rear Shock Advice

I am posting this on a couple other sites also. So my apologies for the redundancy. I am just really confused.

I have a 2005 GT Idrive 5 2.0 that I have been riding for 3 years now. Something has happened to the rear shock. It is a Fox Float R. A decent enough shock I guess. I have no idea though as this is my first FS bike.

The shock does not extend as far as it used to and when I sit on the bike it bottoms out. I have checked the air pressure and its fine. Around 250 lbs. I am trying to do more of the maintenance on my bikes now days and need some help here. This is completely new territory for me.

First of all would it be better to have this shock fixed/rebuilt or should I buy a new one.

If I buy a new one how does one go about choosing a good shock and how do I know what size will fit this bike? I can't seem to find any info on sizing a shock for this bike. I don't mind spending a little extra for extra quality/function either. I am doing some research on shocks but, man, how confusing is that.

Any ideas or advice?

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is a great shock and you probably will not find a better shock for your bike. Fox had a problem with a deffective sleeve on that model and year. It takes the bike shop around 15 minutes to fix it under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX
    That is a great shock and you probably will not find a better shock for your bike. Fox had a problem with a deffective sleeve on that model and year. It takes the bike shop around 15 minutes to fix it under warranty.
    Hey thanks! I am kind of new to some of this stuff. I figure when something goes wrong with this bike I will be checking into whether I will repair or replace. I am still thinking about buying a new frame and building up a bike. So I have to put that into the equation also. I was hoping to get some advice on doing that but I had no takers.

As far as shocks go though, the Cane Creek Cloud Nine seems to get good reviews and apparently is easy to maintain. I'll probably take about a week to decide on what to do. I'm in no hurry and I like to research my options. I have a hard tail that I am getting familiar with right now and am actually really diggin it. Much to my surprise.

Thanks for the feed back.