Thread: TR: Family Roots- Panaca Nevada and Cathedral Gorge

TR: Family Roots- Panaca Nevada and Cathedral Gorge

About a year ago, after the birth of my son, I started to do some genealogy work. It turns out I am a direct descendant of Mormon pioneers that settled a small town west of Cedar City called Panaca. Ironically both my parents had lived in Panaca at different times but never met until they lived in Salt Lake City.

I had visited Panaca years back when my dad was still alive, but it had been over fifteen years since the last time. So after going to Othello in Cedar City last Saturday, my mom and I went to Panaca to reconnect me with my roots. We visited the nearby Cathedral Gorge State Park and the near by towns of Caliente and Pioche.

A little family history: My great-great grandfather George Allen Wadsworth converted to Mormonism in England and then immigrated with his wife and infant son (my great grandfather Nephi John Wadsworth) to Utah in 1856. They first settled in Toquerville Utah where they lived for eleven years until they moved to Panaca in 1867. Panaca had only been settled three years earlier. There they lived the rest of their days farming and raising their families. My grandfather lived most his life there and my father lived there until moved to Salt Lake in the 50
    Attached Images Attached Images                           

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    I think that geneology is extremely interesting! Good stuff! I could swear that I just saw an Indie movie with Sam Shepard that must have been filmed in that little town of Pioche.

btw....my paternal grandmother's name was Eliza Jane.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Awesome working on your ancestry! Gorgeous house your family once owned. It's awesome that you were able to visit it. What a cozy little town.

James, great write up, I really enjoyed the pictures and the description, thanks for sharing!

I'm very disappointed in you James. In 2 of the pictures (above) I see a nice rope swing over water and neither you nor your mom swinging on that! I am a bit impressed though at the same time. You must have wayyyy more self control than I do to resist temptation. I would have been all over that before the car even got turned off.

Seriously though, I think it's really cool to trace your roots and it seems like your family has left a permanent impression in that town. Especially dig the house, very interesting design.

Yes, very cool report and pictures. I have been through those parts on my motorcycle. Hot middle of nowhere country.

Very cool James. I love finding stuff out about my ancestry.

By the way, were you at the Snoop Dogg/311 concert on Monday? I swear I saw you in section 201.
    The man thong is wrong.

My cousin lived in Panaca for a few years. It's greener than I thought it would be. I think he said his graduating class had 12 members in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    By the way, were you at the Snoop Dogg/311 concert on Monday? I swear I saw you in section 201.
    I sure was section 201 row G seat 10. How the Hell did you recognize me? Have we met before? You should have said hi.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    I sure was section 201 row G seat 10. How the Hell did you recognize me? Have we met before? You should have said hi.

James
    I recognized your face. I wasn't sure it was you. We yelled out "James" but you didn't turn your head so I gave up. Fun concert. I will get my pics up sometime.
    The man thong is wrong.

This brings back some memories. My first job out of high school was a "gandy dancer" (railroad track worker) for Union Pacific Railroad. I was stationed south of Caliente at a railroad stop named Elgin. I spent the whole summer roaming the desert and small towns of that part of Nevada. We ran into countless rattlesnakes along the tracks.

Pioche was my favorite town, it had a rich history as an outlaw town.

From mormon ancestry to Snoop Dogg. I love Bogley!

This brings back some memories. My first job out of high school was a "gandy dancer" (railroad track worker) for Union Pacific Railroad. I was stationed south of Caliente at a railroad stop named Elgin. I spent the whole summer roaming the desert and small towns of that part of Nevada. We ran into countless rattlesnakes along the tracks.

Pioche was my favorite town, it had a rich history as an outlaw town.

wow, double post with a post in between. That is talent!
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Well we all know Snoop is a Mo-mo:

James

James
    I am sending that pic to everyone I know!!!

Fo shizzle, mah bizzle!
    "All roads, all codes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Don

James
    I am sending that pic to everyone I know!!!
    Well you better have the whole story behind it then: http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11412