Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 Canyons for Noobies

On the list you posted this is the best in July, I've done it in 110 degree July heat and it was a blast. No wetsuits required when the temp is over about 95 :-)

Black Hole of White Canyon - Cedar Mesa

Zion is normally the place to be for July canyoneering.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Black Hole, Lower Black Box, and Muddy Creek should all be great in July. Some of the others I've done in the summer, but in my opinion, the others could be awfully hot.

Nat

Thanks Stepan, Shane, Nat for the reply
    We are pretty heat tolerant as long it is a dry heat.

We have no problem getting up before sunrise to avoid the heat.

Where would be the best place to camp? Closer to the Lake or Something like Dark Canyon?
    Would camping at Sandthrax be like camping in an oven or will it cool down at night (<80 deg)?

Kevin from Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by MiCanyoneer View Post
    Where would be the best place to camp? Closer to the Lake or Something like Dark Canyon?
    If it's July I'm camping close to the lake or river.... a nice swim before bed helps with the heat. In July Powell is bathtub warm... it's also about 10 degrees cooler next to the water at night...

Any recommendation for camping near the lake or a river. It sounds like in certain areas if you are desperse camping you need portable facilities which is something we don't plan to bring out from Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCanyoneer View Post
    Any recommendation for camping near the lake or a river. It sounds like in certain areas if you are desperse camping you need portable facilities which is something we don't plan to bring out from Michigan.
    Just buy a five gallon bucket with a lid when you are out here. Put a couple trash bags in it, and you have your facilities. Buy a plastic toilet seat from Walmart if you want it to be more comfortable. Quite inexpensive; can be less than $10 total. Add some carpet fresh to sprinkle on it if you want a more pleasant aroma...

Pretty easy to deal as there's numerous products out there that get 'er done:

Name:  Restop_2_w-conten.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  6.9 KB

http://www.whennaturecalls.com/products/restop2.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Pretty easy to deal as there's numerous products out there that get 'er done:

Name:  Restop_2_w-conten.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  6.9 KB

http://www.whennaturecalls.com/products/restop2.html
    I just mentioned the Rest Stop in my Coyote Gulch TR. It worked great for me. None of the (much feared by me) in-pack leakage!

Thanks for the information.
    Wasn't sure the restops would be an acceptable solution.

Because we have a lot of noob's around here who will be hitting canyons this spring....

Just for the record, the brothers lost leg and near fatality accident on the Baptist Draw/Chute loop was going DOWN Chute from BD, not up. The up Chute loop route is considerably shorter and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by rick t View Post
    Just for the record, the brothers lost leg and near fatality accident on the Baptist Draw/Chute loop was going DOWN Chute from BD, not up. The up Chute loop route is considerably shorter and easier.
    For those that don't know the story it is available here:

Baptist Draw Accident

Justin ended up losing his leg in the end because of complications.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Because we have a lot of noob's around here who will be hitting canyons this spring....
    Thanks for the bump. I'm looking for a couple of canyons to solo around April, and was going to start a new thread asking, but will check out all of these suggestions first.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    That's why you need to use lots of smiley faces and stuff.

On some of the older forums without emoticons it can be really hard to project humor or sarcasm. Bogley is a little easier.
    I propose that we need punctuation for sarcasm. Something like parenthesis or quotation marks, that go around the sentence. But we all already have computers you say? The solution is easy. The tilde ( ~ ), because, honestly, what the hell do we use it for in english anyways . Something like ~Sarcasm is easy on the internet~

Thanks man, great post! Nice to see these lists, I didn't count for myself yet...
    I'm marking them all on google earth, from where I plan my holidays.

Is it possible to also make a list from the 10 most beautiful canyons?
    Hmmm, that will be very personal though. What I like is that wow-feeling, as if walking on another planet. Surrounded by an environment which is (for me) truly alien. And outstandingly beautiful. Maybe a list of the 10 most unique canyons, or the 10 'most-out-of-this-world'-canyons? Anyway, as you see, I like lists of canyons.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maarten.1975 View Post
    Thanks man, great post! Nice to see these lists, I didn't count for myself yet...
    I'm marking them all on google earth, from where I plan my holidays.

Is it possible to also make a list from the 10 most beautiful canyons?
    Hmmm, that will be very personal though. What I like is that wow-feeling, as if walking on another planet. Surrounded by an environment which is (for me) truly alien. And outstandingly beautiful. Maybe a list of the 10 most unique canyons, or the 10 'most-out-of-this-world'-canyons? Anyway, as you see, I like lists of canyons.
    Matacanes. http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0505mexico/mat1.htm

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Holy crap that looks amazing.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    Holy crap that looks amazing.
    You said beautiful. You want AMAZING?

Fleures Jaune: http://www.cilaosaventure.com/activi...a_reunion.html

Trou de Fer: http://www.cilaosaventure.com/activi...a_reunion.html

Heaps is pretty darn good too, but likely you knew that.

Tom

Thanks Tom. It isnt enough that post beta and trip reports that get me to drive 10 hours to Utah multiple times a year, now you go and post international canyons that are 10+ hour by plane. Ugh, so many canyons so little time and money......

Heaps is high on the list for me, will hopefully get some practice for it in Insomnia down here in AZ once it warms up. But first I need to save up some money to buy a rope from you for that last 500' rappel!

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Absolutely one of the best canyons I've ever done, only slightly eclipsed by Hydrophobia! Definitely should be on the list!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!