Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard's Hollow

Richard's Hollow

Saturday morning a group of us rode Richard's Hollow (near Logan). This is a fantastic ride that doesn't see very much traffic. The singletrack is open and swoopy for the first half, and gets narrower and much more technical toward the bottom. The initial 9.5 mile climb on Jeep road probably scares some people away, but once you get to the 7 mile singletrack downhill, you realize that the climb was worth it!
    (photos courtesy of MtnBkr, thanks Gene!!)

Initial climb up the jeep road

Our attempt at a artsy, metrosexual pic

Beginning of the Singletrack

The trail crosses the creek many times

Typical Trail Views in the upper half

The following pictures illustrate how one of the riders ended up in the creek

1. A different rider approaching the "spot"

2. "The" rider stalling in a very bad spot (notice log to rider's right)

3. He promptly stalled on top, fell right onto the log, and then backwards into the creek. If only I had Sombeech there to have video footage.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pics! Looks like a very fun ride.

You guys and your Wasatch mountains really have it good.

Thanks for posting.

Is this a loop? That trail looks sweet, I would like to ride it this weekend! Very nice pics!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Nice, now I have an excuse to visit family in Logan

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride
    Is this a loop? That trail looks sweet, I would like to ride it this weekend! Very nice pics!!
    We always do it as a loop. It ends up being 9.5 miles on a boring Jeep trail and then 7 miles on the singletrack. The uphill is never too steep, you just have to find a comfortable gear and pedal away. I have heard that people ride this as an out and back, but the bottom part of the singletrack is quite steep and loose in places. I can't imagine it would be a very good climb.

Let me know if you guys are coming up. We may just have to join you sometime......

Wow, had no idea that was up there. Where abouts near Logan?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Wow, had no idea that was up there. Where abouts near Logan?
    There are a couple of places you can start from. The most popular version seems to be starting up Blacksmith Fork Canyon (10 minutes south of Logan) and doing the loop mentioned above.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/tr...ardshollow.htm

Looks like an awesome ride. I love the photos. Especially the metrosexual pic. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by neilether
    Quote Originally Posted by live2ride
    We always do it as a loop. It ends up being 9.5 miles on a boring Jeep trail and then 7 miles on the singletrack. The uphill is never too steep, you just have to find a comfortable gear and pedal away. I have heard that people ride this as an out and back, but the bottom part of the singletrack is quite steep and loose in places. I can't imagine it would be a very good climb.

Let me know if you guys are coming up. We may just have to join you sometime......
    I want to ride up there Sat morning!, I am going to plan on it, it will be cooler than anything down here.

July 5? I'm in. Meet when and where? 9AM? Carpool from somewhere? Macey's parking lot?

I've hiked that trail a dozen times. It's hard to believe I've never gotten around to riding it.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Is it possible to drive all the way or partially up the Jeep trail? Looks like a really sweet ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bbennett
    Is it possible to drive all the way or partially up the Jeep trail? Looks like a really sweet ride.
    Yes you can. You can drive right to both trail heads. If you want a map (pdf or tif file) I can send you one? And yes it is a really sweet ride. One of my favs.

The one problem with trying to drive to the trailhead is time. If you are trying to work a shuttle, it takes just as much time (if not longer) to drive up the Jeep road a then retrieve your car later as it does to just pedal up. If you are lucky you can find somebody who will just drive you to the top so you don't have to leave a car up there.

Quote Originally Posted by neilether
    The one problem with trying to drive to the trailhead is time. If you are trying to work a shuttle, it takes just as much time (if not longer) to drive up the Jeep road a then retrieve your car later as it does to just pedal up. If you are lucky you can find somebody who will just drive you to the top so you don't have to leave a car up there.
    It may take you just as much time to pedal up the trail as it would to dive up and retrieve your car later, but me, I'm a total pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Child
    Yes you can. You can drive right to both trail heads. If you want a map (pdf or tif file) I can send you one? And yes it is a really sweet ride. One of my favs.
    I'd love a map and would be very grateful if you were to provide me with one. Right now, I'm neck deep in Louisiana and your pics have inspired me to make that one of my first rides when I get back.

I'd love a map and would be very grateful if you were to provide me with one. Right now, I'm neck deep in Louisiana and your pics have inspired me to make that one of my first rides when I get back.
    I, also, was inspired by this post and as I was visiting family for the 4th I thought I would give it a shot. I printed out the map and description from UtahMountainBiking.com and off I went. Getting to the parking area wasn't a problem, although it is a very bumby ride. On their instructions it says to park by the bathrooms and then follow the river up. It really should say continue up the road on your bike. There is a creek right by the sign that says Richard's Hollow and I took this to mean the river. Creek - river. Symantics, right? Wrong! I started pedaling up the single track and after a few hundred yards realized that this was definately not the right way. No jeep trail. No EASY accent. It was almost straight up. I didn't feel like turning around and riding up the road so I sucked it up and rode/walked on for a few miles. There were some parts that were so steep with loose dirt and rocks that my tire would just spin out. Going downhill was a lot more fun! I plan on doing it again some time, but the right way this time.

You have mail or technically...You have PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kirk
    I started pedaling up the single track and after a few hundred yards realized that this was definately not the right way. No jeep trail. No EASY accent. It was almost straight up.
    Believe it or not, there are a few crazy souls who choose to do this as an out and back every time. Up the steep singletrack and back down. I prefer the "scenic" route. How far did you get up the singletrack before you turned around?

You have mail or technically...You have PM.
    Got it. Thanks.

Alright, late post but oh well, I am leaving layton at 6:45 so I should be in logan and hour later or so to ride this trail! Sat Morning, if anyone sees this I will be in a silver Toyota tacoma if you want to meet up?