Thread: Zion Suggestions for 7/4-7/6

Zion Suggestions for 7/4-7/6

Just want to get some suggestions for an upcoming trip. My husband and I are new to canyoneering, completed Key Hole and Subway (top down) several weeks ago and wondering what would be a good next step.

We have a 200 ft rope so definitely looking to stay w/ some shorter rappels for now. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Chelsea

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Hi Chelsea... here is a list of the canyons in and near Zion. They are listed from easiest to hardest.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...nyoneering.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Hi Chelsea... here is a list of the canyons in and near Zion. They are listed from easiest to hardest.

Wow that is a great list tanya. I know I have seen it before.

[hijack]I remember that someone asked you a while ago about your new site design and where you were with it. You can tap me for ideas and resources if you ever decide to tackle it again. You have such a great and useful website, bet it would be tough though inserting a new skin to every page. Depending on how you have it built.[/hijack].

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Wow that is a great list tanya. I know I have seen it before.

[hijack]I remember that someone asked you a while ago about your new site design and where you were with it. You can tap me for ideas and resources if you ever decide to tackle it again. You have such a great and useful website, bet it would be tough though inserting a new skin to every page. Depending on how you have it built.[/hijack].
    Thanks Scott!
    I did redo the lodging pages, but I never got around to revamping the rest.... I do need to do it. I have been concentrating instead on finishing the book that Bo and I are doing. We had promised our publishers it would be done this last winter.

The lodging page look
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...rk-lodging.htm

Oh yeah thats right. I like that design. Very bright, clean, happy and readable.

Pretty easy to use. You might consider using a lightbox script on some of your images someday: http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox/ Further explanation from the wiki: http://tinyurl.com/3c3u25

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Oh yeah thats right. I like that design. Very bright, clean, happy and readable.

Pretty easy to use. You might consider using a lightbox script on some of your images someday: http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox/ Further explanation from the wiki: http://tinyurl.com/3c3u25

Looks like a good idea! I will look into it. Thanks!
    Benefits
    Places images above your current page, not within. This frees you from the constraints of the layout, particularly column widths.

Keeps users on the same page. Clicking to view an image and then having to click the back button to return to your site is bad for continuity (and no fun!).

Re: Zion Suggestions for 7/4-7/6

Quote Originally Posted by rivera1181
    Just want to get some suggestions for an upcoming trip. My husband and I are new to canyoneering, completed Key Hole and Subway (top down) several weeks ago and wondering what would be a good next step.

We have a 200 ft rope so definitely looking to stay w/ some shorter rappels for now. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Chelsea
    With 200' of rope, I'd recommend Pine Creek and Birch Hollow. Yankee Doodle would also be a good canyon you could do on your way to/from Zion, it's short enough to be done on the same day as Pine Creek too.

Thanks! We were thinking about Pine Creek actually...so 200 ft of rope is plenty or would you bring additional? I saw the 200 ft suggestion but also saw the 100 ft rappel and wondered if it would be enough? I don't want to cut it too close.

Quote Originally Posted by rivera1181
    Thanks! We were thinking about Pine Creek actually...so 200 ft of rope is plenty or would you bring additional? I saw the 200 ft suggestion but also saw the 100 ft rappel and wondered if it would be enough? I don't want to cut it too close.
    The final rappel in Pine Creek rappel is 97' from chains to canyon floor...

Just make sure your ropes are not short.

One thing to remember is that ropes shrink.... so just because your rope was 200' when you bought it doesn't mean a thing today. I've seen ropes shrink 15' or more over time.

Thanks for the advice. I remember reading (I think in Tom's book) to check the rope as soon as you buy it to make sure they cut the correct length so I measured it before our last trip. We have only used the rope twice but I will be sure to check it tonight.

I'm a worry wart...so I can never be too safe!

Yea, my 200 ft. rope reached two years ago, but last year the same rope was too short. Single lined then locked off and tied slings to the pull side. It was funny though, another group at the bottom kept yelling for us to not rappel, that both ends didn't reach... they were really concerned about us, I had to keep telling them we were fine and not to worry .

LOL! That would be me..."Oh My God, Don't Do It!!!"

If your rope is short on the final rappel you can easily swing into the alcove where the spring originates.... and then downclimb from there. The downclimb is a little tricky as the rock is really slippery. I used this technique once when I didn't measure the length of my new 200' rope..... err.... I mean 180' rope......

Also watched some dude who's rope was about 6' short decide he would just drop off the end..... bad idea.... dropping off the end of the rope has a nasty habit of flipping you turtle just as you run out of rope.

Attached Images Attached Images  

my rope at last measure was 196 ft long. Shrunk 4 ft in a year. It barely touched the water when it was set up. With stretch from a person we had more than enough rope. Have fun!
    The man thong is wrong.

Thanks for all of the advice. We did end up doing Pine Creek and our rope was fine. Had a blast and definitely challenged ourselves. It took us awhile just to maneuver the first obstacle before even getting to the first rappel. The water was so low on that first downclimb.

The stupid digital camera broke and we used a disposable...so not too many great pics.

Bogley BigShot
    Keep us posted on your next adventures!