Thread: Lone Peak

Lone Peak

Does anybody know what the current snow conditions are on the Jacob's ladder route to the summit of Lone?

I know that the resorts up little cottonwood canyon still have a ton of snow. Is this the case for Mt. Superior as well?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The route will be good to the Cirque.... then deep snow. it's a mountaineering route this time of year, and not a hiking route.

It's a fun time to do the route, but you want to be on the snow early why it's still frozen solid. Iceaxe and crampons, with the knowledge of how to use them are required.

The summit ridge will most likely be a massive snow cornice as it is most years. knowing how to climb such a ridge is very useful so you don't drop through the cornice to your death.....

Summit ridge of Lone Peak

From the Cirque

Re: Lone Peak

Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul
    Does anybody know what the current snow conditions are on the Jacob's ladder route to the summit of Lone?
    Flew over it yesterday on a Delta flight out of SLC and got a good look at it. Yeah, cirque is snowed in big time. Big Willow has an amazing amount of snow in it.

Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul
    I know that the resorts up little cottonwood canyon still have a ton of snow. Is this the case for Mt. Superior as well?
    Skiing is still pretty good up high in LCC. Superior is melting out down low, and, the south ridge looks fairly ok and I'll bet you could pick your way up the ridge sans snow, but, the get off down the ridge line on top would have to be a bit snowy still, methinks. Skied Alta last week and that's what it looked like at least.

Also, look at the NOAA cameras in LCC and you can see the current snow levels up at Alta and Snowbird especially.

Edit to add this link:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/mosaic/was_mtn.php

Check out "Alta - West" view. The right peak in the background is Superior. Skyline is the south ridge.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Superior South Ridge Scramble has to be one of the best scrambles in Utah.

Another 2 thumbs from me on the south ridge of superior, that's one I'll do at least once a year!

Shaggy... have you done Devils Castle? Also a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Shaggy... have you done Devils Castle? Also a good one.

No, I plan on doing it every summer but never do for some reason. This summer I'll hit it up for sure!

Ping me when you want to do Devil's Castle, I'll do it with ya if you want company. It's a great morning route, down in time for lunch.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Ping me when you want to do Devil's Castle, I'll do it with ya if you want company. It's a great morning route, down in time for lunch.
    I'd be game this summer

Being a hiker and not a mountaineer I

It's a great peak.

It should certainly be on your to-do list. We usually do it as a long day.

Anyone made it up to Lone yet? I'm thinking of hitting it up Monday or Tuesday, if anyone goes this weekend or something let me know what it looks like on the ridge. Also the scrambling routes up Superior and Devil's Castle... doable now?

No replies, so I'm assuming no one on the board has been yet? Another question, is Corner Canyon still open to the Jacob's Ladder TH? If not I'll just go up The Cherry Creek Trial, but wondering if anyone knows.

I was on Lone Peak last Saturday July 5th and it was beautiful. There were a few snow fields to cross but very managable without any special equiptment. Have fun
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors