Thread: Practice Rappelling

Practice Rappelling

Does anyone know of some good spots in salt lake/draper/riverton to take some people to practice rappeling? i want to take my friends up to practice here soon. the only places i have been around here are up milcreek canyon, and then dogwood up little cottonwood. i just want a ledge at least like 20 feet or so i can take them, and location is the most important factor. i live in eagle mountain. anything eagle mountain, lehi, riverton, draper....
    any ideas would be appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have used "the Big Red Rock" above the Draper south mountain golf course several times to practce. Stand in the GC parking lot and look south, can't mis it, 5 minute hike on a nice trail. The rock is grid bolted by sport climbers.

Several years ago Climb-Utah.com sponsored an open invite practice day on the Big Red Rock. About 20 people showed up and most learned something useful.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    look in this thread for more info, still more questions just ask

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11967

thanks for the input guys. this big red rock looks good. how big of a rappel is it? are there different options?

The Big Red Rock has chains at the top to anchor to, Several options all less then 100', some in the range of 50' if I remember correctly, I haven't been up to the rock for a while.

Only major concern is the rock has some sharp edges so watch your ropes don't get cut.

thanks for the info- i'll check it out tonight!

I've been climbing there a couple times this spring, I'd say 50 feet would be about the furthest rap, most is slabby, good for beginners. I've also taken noobs to learn rappelling up there, works great (no overhang though if you want people to get comfortable free hanging).

There is actually one small overhang... about 15' off the deck, tops.... we used the overhang to practice passing the knott.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Better late than never..... I wrote the following instructions for a canyoneering practice day sponsored by Climb-Utah.com about 5 years ago, so the instructions could be a little dated.....

Big Red Rock in Draper Directions:
    From I-15 take Exit #291 (146000 S). This is just south of Draper, Utah.

Drive east on 146000 South (Highland Drive) for 0.8 miles to "Traverse Ridge Road". Turn south (right) on Traverse Ridge Road and drive 1.2 miles to "Mike Weir Drive". Turn North (Left) on Mike Weir Drive and follow the road for 0.3 Miles to a dirt pull-out on the south (right) side of the road. This is the trailhead.

You can actually drive 50 yards further down the road and park in South Mountain Golf Course Club House's paved parking lot.

From the trailhead the crag we will practice on is the Big Red Rock 100 yards south and 100 yards up the hill. There is a really good trail all the way to the base of the crag. DO NOT SHORTCUT!

From the trailhead the trail climbs 50 yards southeast to a junction, take the right fork. Follow the trail 200 yards; past the base of the crag, until you reach a trail on the left signed "Red Rock". Take this trail 50 yards to the base of the crag. Do not shortcut!