Thread: Who's been to Glacier National Park?

Who's been to Glacier National Park?

I'll be going there on the 14th of July for four nights. I won't be camping, but I'd like to know some of the best things to see and do there--if anyone knows.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: Who's been to Glacier National Park?

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    I'll be going there on the 14th of July for four nights. I won't be camping, but I'd like to know some of the best things to see and do there--if anyone knows.
    I haven't but my family has, sister worked there. Sorry don

I've been several times. First, be aware that it can get chilly and windy, even in July. Take a jacket or sweater.

Spend a day driving Going To The Sun Road, stopping at all the overlooks. Many views of valleys, lakes, rivers, waterfalls, wildlife and a few glaciers. Visit Two medicine Valley, Many Glacier Valley and Waterton Lakes NP (just over into Canada). All of those are on the east side of the park, as is the town of Browning and one of the park's great lodges. If you have time, drive to Polebridge (west side of the park).

Hiking is a big part of seeing GNP. One of the best is Hidden Lake, which starts at the Logan's Pass visitor's center. Lots of spectacular scenery and usually lots of wildlife (bighorns, mountain goats, marmots, etc) that often comes up close. Other good hikes can be found in the guide you get from the ranger station or entry station.

There are several places you can take a boat tour, such as St Mary Lake, Two Medicine Lake, McDonald Lake and in Waterton. Again, this will be in your brochure.

Check out the Glacier NP section of my photo gallery at http://www.pbase.com/sparker1/glacier. Glacier is one of my favorite parks and a great place for photography. The wildflowers should be pretty while you are there. Have fun, and let me know if you have specific questions.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

I would like to see some bears, but not from too close of a distance. Any pointers on that? Also, we have motel reservations in Cut Bank, MT., so we are on the east side of the park. I thought I heard that you needed a passport to go into Canada now. Is that true?

I would like to see some bears, but not from too close of a distance. Any pointers on that?
    find a picnic table. open the cooler in your car and set a hudge piece of raw meat on the table. return to your car and wait. if the bear is not close enough when it come open you door and throw a candy bar at it like in the move "The Great Outdoors" and any other good ideas from that movie.

enjoy

Just driving around and hiking, you are likely to see bears, and maybe a moose. They often close trails where grizzlies have been seen, so that's a tipoff right there. If you take the boat tour in Waterton Lakes, or drive to Cameron Lake, it's almost guaranteed you'll see bears.

A passport is not yet required to enter or return from Canada in a car. Of course, having one is good, but a driver's license will do the trick.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    I would like to see some bears, but not from too close of a distance. Any pointers on that?
    find a picnic table. open the cooler in your car and set a hudge piece of raw meat on the table. return to your car and wait. if the bear is not close enough when it come open you door and throw a candy bar at it like in the move "The Great Outdoors" and any other good ideas from that movie.

enjoy
    Ha ha! I have never seen that movie, but it sounds good!

Not sure how much time you have but a bit north into Canada is Waterton Lake and the Prince of Whales hotel.

Worth the trip, just make sure you take your passport.

http://www.nationalparkreservations....rincewales.htm

Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    Not sure how much time you have but a bit north into Canada is Waterton Lake and the Prince of Whales hotel.

Worth the trip, just make sure you take your passport.
    So, one of you says I need a passport, and another one of you says I don't. Hmm. Do I or don't I--that's the question.

Have you tried a google search.

http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadat...izenborder.htm
    US Citizens Visiting Canada by Land or Water
    As of Dec 21, 2007, passport requirements have been once again delayed meaning that US citizens arriving in Canada by land or water do not need a passport until at least summer 2009.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
    ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LATER:
    On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Thanks, trackrunner. I think that clarifies it. I heard two other people discussing this where I get my hair cut the other day--so it left me with a bunch of confusion. It seems clear now.