Thread: My new purchase

My new purchase

I picked this little guy up on Saturday and have been dying to show it off. It's a 1991 Yamaha FZR1000. I bought it used so it does have it's little problems but I've got some of those worked out already. It does have one problem that maybe someone could help with. I believe it's running too rich. Whenever I'm in the low end, under 3500 RPM, it bogs out on me. I tore apart the carbs on sunday, cleaned them, cleaned air filters, new spark plugs, and still has this problem. The jet pins are running as lean as they can go. Maybe needs to be re-jetted or re-valved? What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

wear your gear... please...

and don't be a squid...

Moo

nice looking bike

Definitely not a squid but I can't afford the full body armor. If I could I would wear all the gear. For now just a borrowed helmet from the old man and a jacket.

my son is in the same boat... anything is better than nothing!

Moo

That is pretty. Congratulations! My brother bought a Honda CBR about 10 years ago. When he brought it home, my other brother asked to take it around the block and laid it down come back to the house, so heads up: Watch out for your brothers!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

My brother rides a BMW and just happens to frequent this site quite often. You better be careful, he might see this. He happens to be Acca.

Bogley BigShot
    Your brother must be jealous right now.

Pretty Bike!

Moo! You are sounding hesitant still? If I wrecked on one of those bikes I would not be getting back on. I wonder how many people do?

Nice! That kind of power has to be a hoot.

I've never worked on a bike like yours but air fuel mixture principles should be the same.
    How does it run at idle? If it idles fine then i'd try one size smaller main and adjust the needles back up a bit, then see if you can tune it out with the air mixture screws.

Leaky valves would do that too so if the bike has sat for a while a good fuel additive, something that will clean out carbon might help

"pretty bike!"

I don't believe it has sat for any period of time but I already ran a bottle of fuel additives through it with no change. I think you may be right about the main. I'm a little reluctant to put any more money into it if I'm not sure it's gonna fix it. I'd like to get it into a good mechanic. Know any?

Open the air box and suck some SeaFoam through the carbs... laugh all you want but my quad's carbs were sticking and out of whack - a friend was over helping me work on it and recommended we try this. I was hesitant - especially when he pretty much drowned it... once it coughed through it had never worked better since new!

And Tanya... Yes, I'm back on the BMW already... shoulder is not strong enough to take the pounding in the dirt yet... maybe by late summer.

SeaFoam? Never head of it. Buy it at checker? What is it supposed to do exactly? I really think it has a fuel pin problem and not just plugged up jets.

Quote Originally Posted by double moo
    Open the air box and suck some SeaFoam through the carbs...
    huh, I had no idea http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

They list Napa and Pep-Boys on their website.

Looks like good stuff

I shot a little carb cleaner into the carbs first - enough to let it puddle so it can get into all the little gaps while we set up to do the SeaFoam - Carb Cleaner evaporates quite quickly and burns off immediately if the bike gets fired up. Then we dumped enough SeaFoam straight through the airbox (no filter) that it choked up and flooded the engine - once it starts to sputter stop pouring it in - then we let it recover for a moment or two until it was idling smooth again and started over - did this 3 times. Don't be affraid of the white smoke shooting out the exhaust!!! pretend you're in a James Bond flick.

The quad I did this to had been into the shop twice for tune up issues and never felt quite right. After this brief torture it starts easier, idles smoother, is more responsive, etc... I am sold on it!!

I did pretty much the same thing to me Isuzu Trooper and freed up the engine!! Followed the directing on the can and ran it through the oil for about 500 miles before changing the oil - got a lot of gunk and grime out of the inside of the engine - stuff came out totally black... so it cleaned up something! Truck runs better and has less hydraulic valve click than it has for the last few years. I'm sold on it.

I believe I know what the solution to my problem is. I need a bigger needle set. The stock part number is 3LK-1490J-00-00 but I need one size bigger to lean the bike out. I called Plaza Cycle and they were very unhelpful. Where can I go to find this part, just one size bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOU812
    Where can I go to find this part, just one size bigger?

I find south valley to be more helpful http://www.southvalleymotorsports.com/ ask for Kevin in in parts (he is expecting your call), I know it's a yamaha but Brian at hondasuzuki is very good as well and may be able to give ideas. (used to work for south valley yamaha)

also a parts breakdown pdf I found, doesn't show bigger jets but fun to look at! http://www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/Manua.../3LKG_1994.PDF

I called today and no one was available to take my call. In calling/talking to people, I found that those needles are just a fine tuning adjustment. I've been advised to have it rejetted. I wish I could do it myself but that's just a little beyond me. It's gonna cost about $320.

Congrats on the new bike man, looks like fun! Hopefully you get the bugs worked out and she runs like dream!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.