Thread: Box Elder Peak - Trip Report

Box Elder Peak - Trip Report

Yesterday I hiked to the top of Box Elder Peak. Box Elder is north of Timpanogas, just above Alpine. I took the trail up from Granite Flats campground in Am. Fork canyon.

The first 3-4 miles to the saddle wasn't too bad. It was a perfect temperature, and not much snow across the trail.

From the saddle up the ridge to the top was pretty tough. It was steep, the trail was covered in snow and I guess I am not in that good of shape. It took about 2 hours to make it that last 1-1/2 miles.

The view from the top was great.

The hike down wasn't too bad, but it sure got hot. It was in the upper 80s by the time I got to the 4Runner.

Enjoy the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ya Gotta Love Box Elder
    It was my first peak when I came to Utah. Nice pics. Sure brings back memories.
    See you on the Trail

Very nice, Corey. Thanks for posting.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Is that the trail that is heading north right before the campground. I have taken my little ones on that trail for a mile or two and turned around. mabey it's time for an adults only trip. Beautiful pics!
    The man thong is wrong.

Which trail do you use to get up onto the peak, box elder trail or deer/dry creek trail? I've been up on both trails in the past few weeks and I could see possible summit routes from either but I think I'd prefer to go to the top of the deer creek trail (is that the saddle you're talking about?) and run that pine ridge line to the summit. I think you can hit both of those trails from Granite flats but your pictures look more like the Deer Creek trail side.

I went up the Deer Creek trail from Granite flats. It meets with the Dry Creek trail at the saddle. There is a nice meadow at the saddle.

From the saddle, just follow the ridge line to the summit. When I was there the ridge was still covered with snow, it might be better now.