Thread: What's the best book about hiking in the Wasatch Mountains?

What's the best book about hiking in the Wasatch Mountains?

I got a couple of great recommendations for books about the Uintas, and I bought those books. That made me remember that I need a good book on hiking in the Wasatch Mountains. Any recommendations?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Don't forget this.... lot's of good stuff, some not noted in any guide book... most is free, some pay-per-view....

Climb-Utah Wastach Mountains
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/index.htm

Best Book

Quote Originally Posted by wthomas
    ]

Thanks. I just put that on my birthday list for my wife. Then again, if any of you want to send me presents, my b-day is July 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Don't forget this.... lot's of good stuff, some not noted in any guide book... most is free, some pay-per-view....

Climb-Utah Wastach Mountains
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/index.htm

Best Book

Thanks Ice. I appreciate that link---and that's another vote for the same book that's on my b-day list!

Just to make sure you know, that book only covers from City Creek Canyon to South of American Fork Canyon, so if you live in Provo or Ogden and are looking for trails in that area, the book doesn't cover it. I'm not a big fan of ANY Wasatch hiking books, but the one Ice suggests is the best out there. Kelsey's Mountaineering Utah book covers most peaks in the Wasatch, as well as many across the state and is a good one to add to your collection too if you don't have it. I think all guidebook authors should follow Todd Goss' example who wrote the "Rock Climbs of Southwest Utah & The Arizona Strip." Best guidebook I've used for any activity, makes me wish all books were as good as it.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Just to make sure you know, that book only covers from City Creek Canyon to South of American Fork Canyon, so if you live in Provo or Ogden and are looking for trails in that area, the book doesn't cover it. I'm not a big fan of ANY Wasatch hiking books, but the one Ice suggests is the best out there. Kelsey's Mountaineering Utah book covers most peaks in the Wasatch, as well as many across the state and is a good one to add to your collection too if you don't have it. I think all guidebook authors should follow Todd Goss' example who wrote the "Rock Climbs of Southwest Utah & The Arizona Strip." Best guidebook I've used for any activity, makes me wish all books were as good as it.
    Thanks. I'm not a rock climber, but I am a writer. Maybe I'll take a look at that rock climbing book and see what you like about it---then try and write one about the Wasatch front. Then again, I'll need a rock climber's help with some of the technical stuff.

That Hiking the wasatch book that has come up a few times is really good. It has TONS of hikes in it. The only complaint I had was on a few of the hikes, the driving directions to the trailheads were either unclear, or altogether wrong. Still, get that book.
    If the trail is too long, you're too old.

Quote Originally Posted by pestopolis
    The only complaint I had was on a few of the hikes, the driving directions to the trailheads were either unclear, or altogether wrong. Still, get that book.
    That's the problem with guide books.... the minute they are published they are out of date. With so much building going on I would not consider any of the TH info to be accurate for trailheads located near housing.

Still... that book is your biggest bang for the buck in regards to SLC area hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Quote Originally Posted by pestopolis
    The only complaint I had was on a few of the hikes, the driving directions to the trailheads were either unclear, or altogether wrong. Still, get that book.
    That's the problem with guide books.... the minute they are published they are out of date. With so much building going on I would not consider any of the TH info to be accurate for trailheads located near housing.

Still... that book is your biggest bang for the buck in regards to SLC area hiking.

Yeah, I know. I still have my old 1970s copy of "Wasatch Trails". Many of those trailheads are difficult at best to access now---not like in that book anymore.