Thread: Silver Lake Flat Res. and Alpine Loop

Silver Lake Flat Res. and Alpine Loop

Drove up to Silver Lake Flat Reservoir for sunrise yesterday and hiked around for 5 or 6 miles on the hills around Timp, such a beautiful place! Apparently it's $6.00 now to drive up AF Canyon. Here are a few pics.

A few more here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/ericgodf...rAndAlpineLoop
    Attached Images Attached Images             

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very nice! Did you get up to Silver Lake or was there too much snow?
    Life is Good

You got some good ones. Thanks for sharing.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Very nice! Did you get up to Silver Lake or was there too much snow?
    I didn't try, but it looked snow free quite a way up, I would be willing to give it a go. Might run into some mud and snow patches but it didn't look too bad actually. No snow at all around the reservoir.

Edit: Pic 00023.jpg is looking out at the reservoir (you can see it in the middle of the pic), looks like the snow is just above the lake, give us a TR when you get back!

Nice photos.

I was up there this weekend. I went up to Silver Lake - no snow on the trail, but a lot of snow on the North and West sides of the lake, where it nestles against the mountain.

I was up there on Sunday, and I will never say the Uintas are crowded ever again. I have never been anywhere on the Alpine Loop, and was impressed with the scenery, but didn't expect to share it with half the state. There were people and vehicles everywhere. It was by far the busiest place I have ever been to in Utah - Zion NP before the buses wasn't near as congested as this place. I have never seen the Cottonwoods that busy. I was pretty frazzled on that narrow, crazy road to the Silver Lake area as there were cars everywhere. I would be all for them raising the price even higher on the weekend to knock the crowds down.

Very pretty area, just too crowded. As soon as I got on the trail to Silver Lake, I only saw about 15 people, so who knows what everybody else was up to.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller
    so who knows what everybody else was up to.
    They were probably having sex behind the trees.

James

yea it's a popular place, I avoid it on the weekends. You think it was crazy last weekend, go on a weekend while the leaves are changing colors, lines 30+ cars long at the pay booths and traffic jams on the road! Lot's of roads open to ATV's and dirt bikes, plus Timp is a friggin zoo once more snow melts and the trail to the peak opens up. There is a BYU camp, the ski resort, mountain bike trails, and TONS of sport climbs, it's a really popular spot but like you say very pretty. Just go on a weekday at 5 am (like I did), you'll have the place to yourself Then again you probably have to work graveyards and get your sleeping schedule so screwed up that you wake up at 4 am wondering what in the world you are going to do now (the reason I was up there at 5)?