Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying Today

Flying Today

Anyone flown 10, 15, 20, 30 years ago and then in the last couple years? If so, I think you'll relate to this tongue-in-cheek look at flying:

Old blue skies ain't what they used to be

BY MITCH ALBOM
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My last commercial flight was in 2000. I have been avoiding flight at all costs. I'd love to see more of Europe, but not sure I'm willing to fly.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

All I know about flying in one easy lesson.....

When the pilot gets out of the cockpit, walks back, and informs you and your pals that you are cut-off and can not drink on the plane any more.... don't ask him "if you're back here who in the f**k is flying this thing"....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    All I know about flying in one easy lesson.....

When the pilot gets out of the cockpit, walks back, and informs you and your pals that you are cut-off and can not drink on the plane any more.... don't ask him "if you're back here who in the f**k is flying this thing"....
    And when you and your boss are sitting in First Class on a long flight, and you are relegated to drink the Amaretto because they have no other liquor, you've probably had enough to drink!

- Mark Twain

The flight I take into Vegas every Friday has a pretty cool routine. They have all the customers (that want too) take out dollar bills and write their seat number on it. Then they put it into a pot and let some kid pull out a single one who wins the whole thing.

And of course there is always a small group of Iceaxe Jr's near the back singing "Viiivaaa Las Vegas" the entire trip. It not that bad really, lightens the mood a bit.

I think it's all about how you deal with it, don't let the recent changes get ya down grandpa. You can bring your own food, just not liquids. Just pack a weeks worth of clothing in a carry-on and wash it if you're staying longer. Not as good as it used to be though and wish it could go back. Are the security measures really necessary? Since 911 every plane has a "remote control" device where the ground crew can bypass the pilot and otherwise completely control/land it. Hijacking not going to have devastating results anymore.

My last commercial flight was yesterday, my next is tomorrow. I fly almost every week and I just grin and bare it.

It really has progressively gotten worse. There is no service anymore. No nice people working the aisles and the people that fly the plane don't like it any more than I do.

Air travel is so last century. It's time for the next big thing. Any ideas????

I'm guessing that air travel is just one of the fundamental changes we'll see pretty soon with the price of oil and all its ramifications. When I was working, I felt that 80-90% of our travel was not truly necessary, but more of a perk. I'll admit it, many conferences I attended were primarily on the golf course.

I also remember when a guy came to my office and says, "We're starting a new company called Federal Express to ship stuff overnight. What does your data center have to send out that requires overnight delivery" The answer was "Nothing". Now, everything goes overnight, if it does go over the network.

We once delivered goods by train, with trucks only used locally. When the inter-state system came along, the trucks soon followed and taught us we need everything right away. That is part of the big demand that drives up the price of oil, not to mention wear and tear on highways and clogged traffic.

Our priorities may change, and that includes air travel.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    Since 911 every plane has a "remote control" device where the ground crew can bypass the pilot and otherwise completely control/land it.
    Thats pretty funny. But its not true.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Is sooooo!!

The company I worked for back in the day implemented it. www.cubic.com I'll find ya a link bro, standby.

Edit: http://www.cubic.com/corp1/news/pr/2...%20device.html

Cubic Applies for U.S. Patent for System
    Designed to Assist Pilots in Emergencies

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - Dec. 10, 2001 -- Cubic Defense Systems, a subsidiary of San Diego-based Cubic Corporation (AMEX: CUB), has applied for a U.S. patent for a new system and method for remotely controlling existing flight systems on board commercial aircraft. The proposed system would be designed to stop terrorists or other passengers from taking control of the plane. It could also be used in other emergencies such as pilot medical emergencies.

Cubic is seeking airline industry and scientific partners to explore and develop the proposed device, which would give airline pilots the option of relinquishing control of their planes in dangerous situations to ground control stations. In cases where pilots were killed or disabled, or the aircraft was off course, authorities could remotely initiate ground control via a secure data link. The aircraft's system would then automatically be reprogrammed to approach the nearest safe airport, engage the auto landing sequence and land.

Cubic Aircraft Safety Device

The proposed device could use a data link for encrypted communication between the aircraft and the ground control station. Once the ground control station - possibly located at a military air base - assumed control, no one on board could guide the plane, disable the controls or dump fuel.

"There are many challenges to creating this kind of system, but we think the invention is well worth exploring," said Max Farrow, Cubic Defense Systems vice president of Advanced Programs and Engineering. "Having these systems aboard commercial airliners would deter hijackers from trying to try to take them over, because they could not accomplish their objective."

Doug Nelson, the engineer who came up with the idea and refined it with help of his colleagues in the Cubic Defense Systems Advanced Programs group, said watching the two aircraft collide with the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11 affected him deeply. The Cubic employee still remembers the 1978 crash of Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 182. After colliding with another aircraft in mid-air the airliner plummeted to the ground, killing all aboard and many residents of the North Park area of San Diego.

Nelson, who holds a pilot's license for single-engine aircraft, knew that existing autopilot systems have the capability to land planes at airports if pilots are incapacitated or during extreme weather. He also knew that Cubic - a provider of sophisticated jam-resistant data links that can interface with Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) -- had the
    technological capability to create systems that could fly aircraft remotely from the ground.

Cubic is now awaiting word from the U.S Patent Office and Trademark Office to see if its patent application will be allowed. Though usually the process of getting a U.S. patent takes several years, Cubic has petitioned for accelerated examination under a program giving applications directed to anti-terrorist technology a priority. In the meantime, Cubic will continue work on its prototype system.

The Cubic Defense Group produces instrumented air and ground combat training systems, battle command training, simulations and simulation support for U. S. and allied military forces. The Group also produces high technology avionics, data links and communications products for government and commercial customers, and a wide range of technical and logistics services.

The corporation's other major segment, Cubic Transportation Systems, designs and manufactures automatic fare collection systems for public mass transit authorities worldwide.
    Still looking for the press release standby. I think it was 2002 it got implemented. I remember it was a 60 million dollar contract but cant recall the date.... It was a big day for our company too! I hope none of them read this, I'll be embarassed.

Are you serious?
    You are saying that all commercial aircraft have a ground flight control system built in and can over ride pilot control in flight?

That means that a completely new all digital data packet radio system was deployed nationwide since 911. And this was done in secret, with no news articles and no industry rags blowing the secret.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that Aviation Leak, I mean Aviation Week which I read religiously has NEVER made mention of this system.

This would be all over the news for months. Sort of like when they were installing the secure doors on the planes. The scrutiny would be unbelievable and I am dead certain the test phase would take at least 5 years.

Yeah I'm sorry but I can't go for it.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Gawd.. Now i have to find it or I'm gonna look like a retard on the internetz... Standby I still looking... Now I getting nervous

Edit again: Ok I cant find it. Lemme ask where the link is and get back to ya. I know lots of people there and can get it EZ. I never had more than basic security clearance, so it wasn't a top secret project we were working on, or anything like that. The info is out there *X-files music*

I'm still embarassed ..... Must be getting older than I thought if my memory is that bad.

Ah its ok, Stefan thinks there are Black Helicopters following him around at the behest of GW.

Gawd.. Now i have to find it or I'm gonna look like a retard on the internetz...

Lemme ask where the link is and get back to ya. I know lots of people there and can get it EZ.

I'm still embarassed ..... Must be getting older than I thought if my memory is that bad.
    Jiminy,

And when you do find the source, check it/them out because they are likely part of the Conspiracy Theory crowd that's prevalent on the Internet.

I have a friend who is a commercial airline pilot for Skyxxxx, who I have been drunk with on many occasions (but not within 24 hours before one of his flights), and I can guarantee you that your assertion, about all commercial planes being capable of remote operation, is one of those many urban legends.

And now you know how urban legends are propogated.

- Mark Twain

Its TRUE, I found an ad online.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Remote Jihad: Now you only have to be half assed committed to your cause.

Dammit I hate being wrong. Got the answer this morning

[quote]
    Jake what

Actually im rather impressed.
    I laughed when I read it the first time, but to think that the technology actually exists to do it... Impressive
    A remote landing however is not exactly the same as remote flying a passenger jet.

I have no doubt the technology is there.
    We fly drones on the other side of the planet from Las Vegas all day every day.

For those who are not quite up to the whole martyrdom thang.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Remote Jihad: Now you only have to be half assed committed to your cause.