Thread: Honda hits the hydrogen highway

Honda hits the hydrogen highway

Honda hits the hydrogen highway

The FCX Clarity fuel cell car is now available, but you're going to have to hit the Golden State to get one.

Honda began production of its new FCX Clarity fuel cell car Monday. The Japanese automaker will produce about 200 of them over the next three years. Honda would not say how many will make it to the U.S., but those that do will be leased only in Southern California.

The FCX Clarity converts compressed hydrogen gas into water in a process that releases a stream of electricity that powers the car. Fuel cars are "zero emission" vehicles, releasing only water vapor exhaust. It gets about 79 miles per "gallon equivalent" in city driving and 68 on the highway, according to Honda. (Electric motors produce maximum turning power at low speeds, and the cars have single-speed transmissions, so fuel economy on the highway is lower than in the city.)

In California, a three-year lease will run $600 a month, which includes collision insurance and maintenance.

Honda has previously estimated it will cost about $1 million to build each car.

General Motors already has a test fleet of about 100 fuel cell-powered Chevrolet Equinox SUVs in the hands of "ordinary consumers" in California, New York and Washington D.C.

We were able to test drive an early version of the Honda FCX last year in Washington D.C. The car Honda is now building is nearly identical.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Honda has previously estimated it will cost about $1 million to build each car.
    The first one always costs a million to build. So $600 a month... assuming a 5 year purchase that is 60 payments of $600 = $36,000. But this is probably a 2-3 years lease so I bet the car cost 50k? I don't know, my math not so good on loans and such. Someone help me out?

I guess my thinking is wait a couple years till the price falls way down. Like plasma tv's did (except lcd's superior imo) and grab one after they get the bugs worked out? Why does it have to be sooo ugly though?

Thanks high gas prices!

It's progress, but not fast enough.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    True, I like to go at least 55 MPH on the freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    True, I like to go at least 55 MPH on the freeway.
    Stan

It's pretty feeble, but at least it's a start. I'd drive one for the sake of testing.

Good for Honda. I would love to see this catch on. I know you have all heard this before, but isn't crazy that a hundred years ago cars were running on steam (water) and now it seems like a dream.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Cars ran on steam?
    I think your mixed up.
    Boats did, huge steam engines ran from boilers. Cars I think are another story.....
    Time for Google...

When primitive automobiles first began to appear in the 1800s, their engines were based on steam power, the same power source which had motivated the Industrial Revolution. Steam had already enjoyed a long and successful career in locomotive powerplants, so it was only natural that the technology evolved into a miniaturized version which was unshackled from the rails. But these early cars inherited steam's weaknesses along with its strengths. The boilers had to be lit by hand, and they required about twenty minutes to build up pressure before they could be driven. Furthermore, their water reservoirs only lasted for about thirty miles before needing replenishment. Despite such shortcomings, these newfangled self-propelled carriages offered quick transportation, and by the early 1900s it was not uncommon to see such machines shuttling wealthy citizens around town.

LINK

SUMBEECH! Ok I stand corrected, some did indeed run on steam, I only knew of boats and Rail roads that used steam.
    How about the fuel for the boiler though? and 24 gallons of water took you a really short distance

But top speeds of 40 to 50 mph? in only 40 seconds!
    LINK

Want to build one? Beat Honda to the punch!

Build the Barrett Steam Car ---LINK

I guess you never heard of the Stanley Steamer. It was a very successful car, and his brother (I think) built the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO. If you haven't heard of it, it's the place where The Shining (starring Jack Nicholson) was filmed.
    Stan

I know the hotel, Im a big fan of Kings work, I know far too much about film locations and stories. The steam car however, that is news to me, but Im not exactly a big car guy, I can pull and engine in an hour, tranny as well, change and alternator, the oil, wiper blades, and flats, yesterday I replaced the master cylinder for the brakes on my truck, that is about the extent of my car ability and knowledge.