Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: smiling cricket

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    I think the gas prices are why Carpey is willing to let me come along, we will have three people to split gas, so that should help. I just need to work some overtime and save my pennies. It would be a monster day, plus end of October it will be dark around 7:00, but yea, if we started really early in the morning we could knock out Baboon before dark, it's pretty short and easy (unless something in there changes of course).
    At the rate things are going, we're gonna have to find a 4th person to pay the 7.50 a gallon across the Yukon... Or buy a motorcycle, dumb and dumber style.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds like we have enough interest; and seems like Oct 23 - 27 would work. Is this going to go? (I'm starting to plan out my October, so just want to know...)

Take care,
    A.J.

I can drive down the evening of the 22nd and drive back either the 27th or 28th. I'm game.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    I can drive down the evening of the 22nd and drive back either the 27th or 28th. I'm game.
    I realize that I screwed up the dates on a previous post. I teach Tuesdays and Thursdays. I could drive down on the afternoon of the 23rd, and would have to hike out on the 27th. It sounds like you guys have a day or two more than I. One possibility: if you all want to drive down on the 22nd , maybe you could do one of the easier canyons on the 23rd and I could meet you on the afternoon of the 23rd (down in Halls Creek) and we could do Smilling Cricket the following day (or following 2 days). If that doesn't work with you guys that's fine, though I would really like to do Smiling Cricket with everyone.

From Dennis Turville's story (posted on Stefan's Canyone Talez site) it sounds like maybe Smiling Cricket could be done in one day.

Nat

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nat
    From Dennis Turville's story (posted on Stefan's Canyone Talez site) it sounds like maybe Smiling Cricket could be done in one day.

Nat
    And, of course, need I suggest it? The true challenge would be to do it clean.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia

Nat

Tom
    I'm not a purist so I'd be happy just to do it, but that would be an interesting challenge. Got any ideas Tom, for sending the 50ft deep, 50ft wide pothole without the bolts for the pendulum?

Nat

Nat
    i wonder if it was full ? otherwise solving all the problems and drilling all the bolts had to suck up some time. those people were definitely good. we didn;t gert a sunrise or earlier start, and were relaxing, so maybe that held us up more ? as well as my allergies killing me and slowing me down even more. i also like their name MUCH better. when i read "poe canyon" i thought, well duh, that makes perfect sense.

and i thought it was 40' wide x 50' deep. the diameter may be exagerated, but me n mark r still 100% sure it was a good 30' diameter. so don't call me a liar if it turns out smaller. we were shell shocked ! and i firmly believe it is ~50' deep from solid bottom to lip.
    signature

Interesting thread, even for a non-canyoneer. Hope you all get together for a full attack on this one in the fall.

By the way, shaggy and carpey, some advice for your return from Alaska. use the Cassiar Highway and stop off in Hyder. In the summer, there are lots of bears there and a viewing stand that puts you right on top of them. Even if there are no bears at the time you will be there, some beautiful glaciers will be there and you get a great view of them. In Terrace, BC, they have white Black Bears (mutants), if you can find one. This entire route back to Jasper is very scenic.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Nat

Tom
    I'm not a purist so I'd be happy just to do it, but that would be an interesting challenge. Got any ideas Tom, for sending the 50ft deep, 50ft wide pothole without the bolts for the pendulum?

Nat
    I'm thinking multiple potshots. A throw that far can't have much weight in it, so you have to set up multiple fairly light potshots for the toss. Which means bringing 4 - 6 potshots, AND enough ropes to have ends for them all. 6mm pull cord would do. Take all 4 together, and put a bachman knot on em.

But... much, MUCH better in this situation if there is enough water to make a fall in acceptable. Also have to consider what the lip looks like. Would be a bummer to prusik up that far, then not be able to get over the lip without losing the grip on your potshot anchor.

Note: natural anchor games - fun. But not worth risking your life over.

Careful judgment should be exercised, which the cool, calm, experienced and skilled Nat I know can apply well. A belay from above might be useful, if the geometry works. Maybe this storm dumped some water in there, or it will be a rainy season and there will be a bit more water in there...

Tom

Nat

Tom

Nat
    I'm thinking multiple potshots. A throw that far can't have much weight in it, so you have to set up multiple fairly light potshots for the toss. Which means bringing 4 - 6 potshots, AND enough ropes to have ends for them all. 6mm pull cord would do. Take all 4 together, and put a bachman knot on em.

But... much, MUCH better in this situation if there is enough water to make a fall in acceptable. Also have to consider what the lip looks like. Would be a bummer to prusik up that far, then not be able to get over the lip without losing the grip on your potshot anchor.

Careful judgment should be exercised, which the cool, calm, experienced and skilled Nat I know can apply well. A belay from above might be useful, if the geometry works. Maybe this storm dumped some water in there, or it will be a rainy season and there will be a bit more water in there...

Tom
    Tom, why don't you join us (I am hoping for an October 24 (or 24-25) descent of smiling cricket. Still haven't heard from the others if this schedule works) ? Ram sounded intersested.

So, with multiple potshots the first person goes in and ascends other side, and provides meat anchor for everyone else? I always carry jumars which would make turning the lip not so hard, but yeah, several ft of water in the pool would make it less puckery.

As far as the "cool, calm, experienced and skilled Nat" goes, I should note that Tom observed me a couple of months ago clip into the wrong (unprotected) end of the rappel rope at the top of a rap in Telephone Canyon.

Nat

Nat

Tom

Nat

Tom
    Tom, why don't you join us (I am hoping for an October 24 (or 24-25) descent of smiling cricket. Still haven't heard from the others if this schedule works) ? Ram sounded intersested.

So, with multiple potshots the first person goes in and ascends other side, and provides meat anchor for everyone else? I always carry jumars which would make turning the lip not so hard, but yeah, several ft of water in the pool would make it less puckery.

As far as the "cool, calm, experienced and skilled Nat" goes, I should note that Tom observed me a couple of months ago clip into the wrong (unprotected) end of the rappel rope at the top of a rap in Telephone Canyon.

Nat
    If'n you toss 4 potshots with 4 - 6mm cords attached (usually, one each), then you will need to 'jumar' the 4 cords together - for which a Bachman is probably the preferred knot. The problem is, often on this kind of thing, as you get to the process of getting up onto the lip, you end up pulling harder on the rope, and the dodgy potshot anchor can slip or come over on top of you. Hopefully, that would result in a sudden drop into deep-enough water, and considerable frustration. Etc.

October 24th or so - works for me! Consider me on the team.

Tom

If'n you toss 4 potshots with 4 - 6mm cords attached (usually, one each), then you will need to 'jumar' the 4 cords together - for which a Bachman is probably the preferred knot. The problem is, often on this kind of thing, as you get to the process of getting up onto the lip, you end up pulling harder on the rope, and the dodgy potshot anchor can slip or come over on top of you. Hopefully, that would result in a sudden drop into deep-enough water, and considerable frustration. Etc.

Tom
    That's great! If there are a large number of us, perhaps we can split into a couple of groups.

Yeah, I realized after posting my last post why you mentioned a Bachman. On the other hand, although I haven't checked, I suspect that a jumar would fit over four 6ml cords.

Nat

Tom
    That's great! If there are a large number of us, perhaps we can split into a couple of groups.

Yeah, I realized after posting my last post why you mentioned a Bachman. On the other hand, although I haven't checked, I suspect that a jumar would fit over four 6ml cords.

Nat
    I've tried something like that, but it does not weight the strands equally. Of course, a Bachman may not either.

Tom

A bachman/prussik/etc will definitely work better than a mechanical in that instance. Have done similar tests before...

Count on three of us from Boulder, CO. I'd like to hit the three canyons in that area all on the same trip. I can make time available; and am currently planning on a 10/23 drive out; 10/24 hike in, canyon? 10/25 - 10/27 canyons, and maybe hike out on 10/27 or 10/28. If I remember, there are three canyons around there, and if we are hiking all that way in, might as well hit all three. I am a little flexible too; so if we need to swing a day or two either way (or add more time), I'm game. Let's solidify dates and plans!

Take care,
    A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    A bachman/prussik/etc will definitely work better than a mechanical in that instance. Have done similar tests before...

Count on three of us from Boulder, CO. I'd like to hit the three canyons in that area all on the same trip. I can make time available; and am currently planning on a 10/23 drive out; 10/24 hike in, canyon? 10/25 - 10/27 canyons, and maybe hike out on 10/27 or 10/28. If I remember, there are three canyons around there, and if we are hiking all that way in, might as well hit all three. I am a little flexible too; so if we need to swing a day or two either way (or add more time), I'm game. Let's solidify dates and plans!

Take care,
    A.J.
    That time frame is good for me. I can drive down from SLC on the 23rd, and hike in on the 24th. It sounds like maybe the shortest of the 3 could be done on that day. I'd like to do Cricket on the 25th (or 25-26th if necessary). I'll probably have to hike out on the 27th.

Nat

I'm also good for those dates.

Okay, it sounds like we are fairly well set with the dates; most people are available around the same timeframe. I am happy to do the final details of organizing if we want. We could do it here, but it might be easier just to do it over e-mail. How about this; those interested, PM me, or just e-mail me at aj(at)meet-outdoors(dot)com. Give me the dates/times you are available, and we'll put the big picture together.

Of importance, who knows exactly where these canyons are? I know they are in the Waterpocket Fold from the Canyon Tales website ( http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/ca...php?i=turville) ; but hope that someone has more info than that. I took a look at some maps, and wasn't really sure of the exact location. As an aside, I think it's pretty funny, that the canyons are "S", "O", "L"... Omen? ;)

Take care,
    A.J.

As an aside, I think it's pretty funny, that the canyons are "S", "O", "L"... Omen? ;)

Take care,
    A.J.
    yeah, i thought that was pretty funny too. the other 2 are straightforward i was told. only poe has the nastys.

poe -

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/11825663
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12742173
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    As an aside, I think it's pretty funny, that the canyons are "S", "O", "L"... Omen? ;)

Take care,
    A.J.
    yeah, i thought that was pretty funny too. the other 2 are straightforward i was told. only poe has the nastys.

poe -

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/11825663
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12742173
    Geez,...I hate to display my ignorance. Is this "S", "O","L" some kind of youth culture thing that us geriatrics are too old to get?

Nat

"S" is not a beginner canyon for sure, some short but serious stemming sections involved (Turville says they called it worming). "O" is straightforward and nothing too difficult unless a pothole scours deeper than what we found or something. Poe sounds pretty intense! Kinda interesting that he says "S" was a half day and "O" he talks like was a full day, it was the opposite for us, "O" seemed short and quick, (we did 3/4 of the hike out after it) "S" had a fair amount of meat on it. Crazy to think those bolts are 30 years old! Anyone going down there, use them with caution!