Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fat man's misery 6/7/08 NOOBFEST

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chungy22
    Thanks for that Tom!!! That was a slap in the face! HAHAHA I will do that next time before I ask anyone
    Check out this one, too:

http://tinyurl.com/y8etaaz

T

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's pretty good!! Thanks Tom
    Murphy's Law: "If anything can go wrong, it will."

Someone told me a wile ago that Fat Man's has an alternate exit-- one that requires a kind driver to drive around past Short Creek. I was told that it is a beautiful hike.

Tom, I already Googled it and I didn't find what I was looking for. But was he talking about the closed East Fork that (your book says) is closed to public access?

And, thanks for the LMGTFY link. I look forward to using it with my coworkers.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw
    Someone told me a wile ago that Fat Man's has an alternate exit-- one that requires a kind driver to drive around past Short Creek. I was told that it is a beautiful hike.

Tom, I already Googled it and I didn't find what I was looking for. But was he talking about the closed East Fork that (your book says) is closed to public access?

Yeah that's a pretty cool link. Of course, it is shared by 'tagging' someone. I got tagged once too... ha ha ha

I think Tanya shows that on her site. Up French Canyon and out to the sand dunes. Difficult driving out there, LOTS of SOFT sand, especially after a long period of dry weather. Bit of a drive to get around. Not overly long, not all the way to Short Creek.

Tom

I would disagree that Fat Man's is an excellent beginner canyon. Nothing to do with the canyon, but the hike in and out...it's a fairly long, high calorie day and noobs may or may not be able to deal with that level of endurance, depending on their background. Plus, the trail out is obscured by many splinter trails. The rappelling and nature of the canyon is not very technically difficult, but be sure your group has experience with doing that level of activity before committing the unwary.

Quote Originally Posted by nonot
    I would disagree that Fat Man's is an excellent beginner canyon. Nothing to do with the canyon, but the hike in and out...it's a fairly long, high calorie day and noobs may or may not be able to deal with that level of endurance, depending on their background. Plus, the trail out is obscured by many splinter trails. The rappelling and nature of the canyon is not very technically difficult, but be sure your group has experience with doing that level of activity before committing the unwary.
    This is true, but if you're dealing with hikers who want to start hiking with ropes, it's hard to go wrong. Beautiful area, and a nice canyon.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw

I love this exit!!! The 4wheel shuttle setup is part of the fun, unless all you like to do is swim in slimy water.

Fat Man's exiting at Elephant Butte
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/parunuweap-canyon.htm

Other Options
    Doing just East Fork without the technical section.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/parunuweap-hike.htm

Going through Fat Man's and Exit at Powell Plaque
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...on-narrows.htm

Photos! This is my favorite hike/canyon anywhere in or near Zion! The rappels are not hard, but this one guy we took in did end up upside down. It was funny. What is hard about Fat Man's is the downclimbs! First you must already be a hiker, because its a killer hike, but if you are then next you must be up for the climbing sections. Your wife may not be even if you are.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...ms/index62.htm

Joe's French Canyon - Alternate Exit

Thank you for the pointers Tanya! We may have to take her on some les technical canyons first, ones with a little less technical down climbs, but that one sounds like it would be a good for her after a few easier canyons with a a bit less rappelling so she can get used to downclimbing and hiking! Thanks again to everyone else. I love Bogley!

Bogley BigShot
    keyhole is a great one to start with.

That one does look pretty short and sweet! Is it always wet?

Quote Originally Posted by Chungy22
    That one does look pretty short and sweet! Is it always wet?
    Always wet. Wetsuit always recommended.

Same can be said for Middle Echo. A cool, easy beginner canyon, but almost always with cold, cold water. And usually not available until June 1st at earliest, due to snow buildup in the Canyon.

Tom

Wow! Those sound interesting! I will have to talk to my wife, but I am thinking that she is not going to like that. any easy canyons with a little less water?

Bogley BigShot
    My favorite family canyon - and its very photogenic! Add Bull Valley Gorge to it and it's an adventure.

Willis Creek in the GSENM
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/gra...ase-hiking.htm

Bull Valley Gorge
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/gsbpack.htm

Wow!! that one looks way cool! I will have to check all these canyons out this summer! Thanks a ton for all the advice and pictures, Tanya and Tom! :)

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    My favorite family canyon - and its very photogenic! Add Bull Valley Gorge to it and it's an adventure.
    Willis Creek in the GSENM
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/gra...ase-hiking.htm

Bull Valley Gorge is always on our list when we come to Utah...the kids and adults (Big Kids) love it!
    "...I edged over the lip of the stone and dropped feet first into the water." - C. Van Tilden

Bogley BigShot
    We will have to show you some variety! If you come from that far away you probably should do new things each time!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    We will have to show you some variety! If you come from that far away you probably should do new things each time!
    I agree!!! Fat Man's Misery for starters

Maybe when I am old and gray and can put Heaps on my "DID" list.
    "...I edged over the lip of the stone and dropped feet first into the water." - C. Van Tilden