Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat man's misery 6/7/08 NOOBFEST

Fat man's misery 6/7/08 NOOBFEST

To sum it up; long, up-downs, hot, super fun.

The group for fatmans was Me, Canyongirl, Chabidiah, Em, Tyson, and Emma. We got to the TH at about 8:00. After a few minutes of making sure we were in the right place, since we have gotten lost more than once, we were hiking at about 8:15. We did not put on our wetsuits at all. I did get to carry one the whole way though.

Once you find the trail it is actually pretty straight forward. Take a left, head east until you get to a large gully with a really big mountain on the other side. That is fatmans.
    The first obstacle was about 12 feet tall, we slid and jumped down it. There was alot of fun downclimbing. One of the downclimbs you had to do an indiana jones swing on some webbing to get around. The narrows alternate with the open wash more than I was expecting. We got to a spot that was about 30 ft dryfall and noticed that there are 2 holes where bolts used to be. We backed up a little and climbed up to the right LDC to a tree and rappelled off that about 45 feet. A little farther down the canyon was some downclimbing/handlining and we just climbed up and to the left LDC and downclimbed down a steep little part to a rap off a tree into the confluence of the East and West forks of Misery.
    We took a break to eat lunch and then made our way down to the last rap in the canyon. It was a fun overhang one that was about 60 ft tall. Some more downclimbing and we came to the "Grotto". It was extremely beautiful and dark. It was the first water we had seen all day. walking in the water made waterfalls into the next potholes. just down from that is the spring and then the East fork of the Virgin River. It was the best ending to a canyon I have ever seen. Except we were only half done.
    We tried to hike to Labrynth falls but got stopped by a cliff that ran the whole length of the canyon, mabey that was Labrynth falls?
    We found the Powell plaque so we knew we were at the right spot for the exit but it looked really steep. Up we went. Emma was having problems with her contacts and couldn't see real well so that was scary up the climb. Luckily it worked out and we got to the "top" and we weren't sure which way to go, the obvious was is to the left/west, but it was a really tall climb and we weren't looking forward to that.
    It was the right way and after about an hour on the exit we finally reached the top where we could see the rounded nose near the exit canyon. Still alot of ground to cover but not as hard as what we had just done. The exit hike out isn't too bad after to get to the top of the first mountain but it is still hard. The sand was the worst part. The end canyon seemed like it would never end, but after 3 1/2 hours of hiking we were finally out. I am pretty sure that Tyson was getting dehydrated, but he survived.
    TH to TH to was about 11 hours with about an hour of playing around in the river at the bottom.
    After a few days of sleep and my thighs getting back to normal I would do the canyon again. That Virgin river is fantastic!

Pics to follow when I get the right cord for my camera
    The man thong is wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

better late than never I guess

Group at the top of the first climb. The road is way int he background, out of site. Had we known that the exit would be 10x that mabey we would've reconsidered...NAH!

Pretty view on entrance hike to the South toward Paranuweap

The entrance to the canyon! Cool potholes at the beginning of fat mans

For some reason I didn't get my camera out until just before the confluence, busy dowclimbing I guess.

Steph and then Em on the last rap of the canyon, almost to the grotto.

Views in Grott, sorry about the quality.

Steph, Tyson, and Emma in the grotto.

The end of the grotto leads to a spring. This is the view looking past the spring. The spring is just out of view on the right.

Steph splashing in the pool under the spring.

Group at the small double slide. About 30 feet from the East fork of the virgin at the end of FMM. From left to right: Emily(alpine butterfly), Emma, Chad(Chabidiah)-up high, Nick(Jaxx), Steph(canyongirl), Tyson(Tyson)

East fork of the virgin. A beautiful site on a hot day.

Almost to the top of the exit climb. There is still an hour or two left of up and down exit hiking. Steph looking a little crazy.
    The man thong is wrong.

Much better with pictures.

Bogley BigShot
    Nice Jaxx! A group of youngsters

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

Much better with pictures.
    I had to save it. I couldn't have a TR with no replies
    The man thong is wrong.

That one sounds really fun even though it does sound a little long! We will have to do that one again. Thanks for the post!
    Murphy's Law: "If anything can go wrong, it will."

Bogley BigShot
    It's a long hike, but the hike is half of the beauty!

If you want to just get to a canyon in Zion and forgo much hiking try Keyhole and Pine Creek.

Nah. Chungy wants the hike! It would be an awesome canyon in the Spring or Fall. Never in the summer again.
    The man thong is wrong.

Maybe we should do that this spring then. Would that be a good one for my wife who has never been rappelling?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chungy22
    Maybe we should do that this spring then. Would that be a good one for my wife who has never been rappelling?
    It is a very nice one in the spring, AFTER you take your wife somewhere and teach her to rappel. Or perhaps, you could set up some low-angle raps on the way in. And, uh, well, WHO would be teaching your wife to rappel?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    It is a very nice one in the spring, AFTER you take your wife somewhere and teach her to rappel. Or perhaps, you could set up some low-angle raps on the way in. And, uh, well, WHO would be teaching your wife to rappel?

Tom
    Dad of course. We just don't let him teach downclimbing anymore!
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia

Tom
    Dad of course. We just don't let him teach downclimbing anymore!

She has been rappelling once, but nothing big at all. I am going to take her to Hansen's to rappel indoor before we take her to anything that is too scary and it will be me and my Dad and I who teach her how to rappel. Granted we got stuck in our last canyon, but that was not because of rappelling skills. My dad is an excellent teacher and has done a bunch of canyons and even more research on it. I was just wondering if that is a good canyon to warm a noobie up on.

She has been rappelling once, but nothing big at all. I am going to take her to Hansen's to rappel indoor before we take her to anything that is too scary and it will be me and my Dad and I who teach her how to rappel. Granted we got stuck in our last canyon, but that was not because of rappelling skills. My dad is an excellent teacher and has done a bunch of canyons and even more research on it. I was just wondering if that is a good canyon to warm a noobie up on.
    Totally excellent noob canyon. April is usually pretty good out there.

T

Cool!! I will for take her in there then and hopefully we won't get too tired!! Thanks Tom

Easy rappels, beautiful spot. Long approach, but gorgeous. We did it as an overnight at the end of April '09. Here's some pics (don't think I ever posted here.)
    http://picasaweb.google.ca/cirrus200...yApril26272009

Those are some way sweet pictures! It makes me even more excited to get down there and do that! Thanks for them! How long of a canyon is the whole thing from start to finish?

Those are some way sweet pictures! It makes me even more excited to get down there and do that! Thanks for them! How long of a canyon is the whole thing from start to finish?
    try this: http://tinyurl.com/y8g3v6p

Tom

Tom's guide says 6-10 hours, which sounds right. We spent 3-4 hours in the canyon (if you include the walk down the wash to the first rap, and the stroll down Parunuweap to the Powell Plaque), and based on what I recall, and can extrapolate from our (fully loaded) times to camp and back out, I'd count on 2 hours hiking in, then 3-4 getting back out. It is a bit of a slog climbing back up and out. I'd count on 8 to 10 hours for sure if you're taking it easy, and not rushing.

Edited to add: Oh, my. I think I'll get a lot of use out of that "Let Me Google That For You" website. Thanks, Tom!

Thanks for that Tom!!! That was a slap in the face! HAHAHA I will do that next time before I ask anyone