Thread: Thunder Mountain TR 6-6-08

Thunder Mountain TR 6-6-08

Thanks to tallsteve, I realized this trail was still on my list.

This was all part of the noobfest weekend for us down in the Zion area: http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12389

Shad, Mark, and I hit this Friday before doing 3 canyons on Saturday and Sunday. We had a big weekend. And then I had some Crab in Mesquite that night...

Anyways, we drove the car up to the top. For some reason we expected the TH to be right by the pavement, so we had some delay before driving about 2 miles up the dirt road to find it. We were hoping one of us could hitch a ride at the bottom, which worked out.

I was surprised by the amount of climbing still after doing the shuttle thang, but there was a lot of downhill. We got going 29 MPH on the last mile of singletrack. About 8 miles of trail excluding the shuttle.

Oh yeah, and my ONLY chain broke about 40' from the TH. Luckily I had my tools.

Here's the video:

YouTube blocked? Here it is on KSL. http://clips.ksl.com/kickapps/_Thund...1841/5124.html
    Attached Images Attached Images                               

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That looks awesome, is it by St George?

Awesome pics! I love that trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    That looks awesome, is it by St George?
    It's about 2 hours out of St George, right by Bryce Canyon.

We decided if we hit this again, it will be on our way home.

Nice pics, 'beach! The one problem with this trail is that you want to stop and take pictures every 50'! I would really like to do this trail again, leave the camera behind and just feel the flow of the trail.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    leave the camera behind
    ...just a friendly reminder, you are talking to the Mr Beeeeech here. The camera is screwed to his head

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    Nice pics, 'beach! The one problem with this trail is that you want to stop and take pictures every 50'! I would really like to do this trail again, leave the camera behind and just feel the flow of the trail.
    well......when we rode it, I wish we had stopped more to take in the scenery........it is unbelievable
    I used to be concerned about my apathy, but now I don't care anymore.

Yeah, I definitely had the helmetcam rolling too. I hope to have that video done tonight.

Definitely need the camera the first time- the next time I ride though I just want to fly!
    Are we there yet?

That video is SICK!

heyyyy......how come there isn't any video footage of the technical switchback section??????

I gotta admit......when I watch the videos, I keep hoping to see wipe-outs!

great stuff, dude

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer
    heyyyy......how come there isn't any video footage of the technical switchback section??????
    I've got it, but it was very shaky footage. Maybe I'll put it in a different vid, but I was trying to cut this down on time too.

I started with an hour and 20 minutes of film, cut down to under 5 minutes.

Nice pics and excellent video. Nothing like cruising one of your favorite trails while trapped behind a desk.

Last time I rode that trail we passed some horse people, hi hello how are ya? Went ripping around one of the blind corners at the start of the trail. Thought to myself, funny to see such a huge puddle in the middle of the trail, it hasn't rained in weeks. Couldn't avoid it - nothing like splashing through a couple of gallons of horse pi$$ on a 95 degree day. Still had a great time after using half my camelback to rinse and eating a pack of gum.
    I'm hungry let's get a taco.

I love this trail! I've only gotten to ride it once, and have been jonesin' for another trip down to do this, Brian Head and the Virgin River trail...

The technical switchbacks are ... well, HARD! :-) I have a riding brain dysfunction that doesnt let me turn right, haha, making them extra tricky. I think I even walked a spot or two... steep and loose, very very loose. Other than that... sweet sweet riding, and that last section is soooooooooo fast and super fun because it is such a smoooooooooth cruiser... oh, man, I really want to go ride there again! funfunfun!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    I have a riding brain dysfunction that doesnt let me turn right[/img]
    Ha, I've got that same problem with waterskiing, I can't cut left as good as my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer
    Hey, so I'm guessing these are the switchbacks you're all talking about. I was reviewing the footage, and there are about 4 groups of switchbacks, but this might have been the most technical.

No music or fancy editing, just some shake reduction.

[quote="Sombeech"]
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Hey, so I'm guessing these are the switchbacks you're all talking about. I was reviewing the footage, and there are about 4 groups of switchbacks, but this might have been the most technical.

No music or fancy editing, just some shake reduction.

Yeah, that's probably it, although it doesnt look as loose and sketchy as I remember, it looks pretty smooooooooooooooooth. Maybe I was just nervous, being new to Utah and all.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

yeah, that's it.........but where were the crashes? no one willing to take one for the team to entertain all us folks back sittin on our asses at work??????