Thread: 2nd Edition - Technical Slot Canyon Guide to the CP

2nd Edition - Technical Slot Canyon Guide to the CP

Second Edition - Technical Slot Canyon Guide to the Colorado Plateau

Just a quick update on a book I know many of you are jonesing to get your grubby little hands on....

I was yakking with Mr. Kelsey the other day and he mentioned his 2nd Edition of "Technical Slot Canyon Guide to the Colorado Plateau" was about two month's away from hitting the selves of your local book store.

Should be some fun stuff....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yes, I already have a copy and have reviewed it and send it back with many comments. It's supposed to be out in August.

it's out!!!!

I got my copy today.

Expect to see it showing up on retail shelf's in the very near future.

I'll give a quick review soon as I can but right now I'm up to my ass in alligators with work and football so it will probably be a few days.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    So Ice I remember a while back you wrote that you have some canyon beta you didn't want to publish until this book came out. So where's the beta

So Ice I remember a while back you wrote that you have some canyon beta you didn't want to publish until this book came out. So where's the beta
    I'll give you some. Cowboy Canyon is the best slot in the White Canyon complex that I've done. I was asked not to leak the info until the book is out. Now it's out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    I'll give you some. Cowboy Canyon is the best slot in the White Canyon complex that I've done. I was asked not to leak the info until the book is out. Now it's out.
    SHOOT!!!! I was just there two days ago!!!! I walked right past it in Gravel Canyon. Is Cowboy Canyon that little subway chamber that empties into Gravel right at rappel #2? We ate lunch there - very pretty!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Cowboy Canyon is just above the last rap in Gravel and comes in from the west. I'll start a thread with photos.

It is out, I received mine today. Excellent, all pictures are in full color. There are many more canyons added to this book. It has jumped to 75 canyons in 336 pages.

I have a small order of them coming in on Wednesday. First come first served. I Will order more if needed.

Check them out at:
    http://www.northwashoutfitters.com/s...&productId=194

I also have one book of the 1st edition left in stock. Have marked that down to $7.50 for anyone interested.

http://www.northwashoutfitters.com/s...&productId=130

Have fun and be safe during Monsoon Season.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Keep your eye on Climb-Utah.com

Looks like MK has some nice new stuff..... but I'm also surprised at the high number of "popular/well known unbetaed canyons" that he missed....

I'm also working on anther interesting little canyon project, it's in draft right now... but I'm not sure exactly what form it will take as of yet... still working out details on what is the best way to distribute it.

Looks like MK has some nice new stuff..... but I'm also surprised at the high number of "popular/well known unbetaed canyons" that he missed....
    I was surprised too. Most of the new canyons are in the Escalante (but already well known in certain cricles) or in Horseshoe area.

Scott, does MK use google earth or anything like that to initially scout for canyons? While he has some nice new stuff over by Horseshoe he also missed some other items that show up really well on google earth or the USUS aerial photo's. The reason I ask is that I noticed it was real hit and miss in which canyons he betaed.... or maybe he just ran out of time. Accessing that stuff from the Spur is a 2 hour dirt road pain in the butt.

Scott, does MK use google earth or anything like that to initially scout for canyons?
    Nope; pretty old school. No Google Earth and he won't use a GPS (though I don't have one either).

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug
    I have a small order of them coming in on Wednesday. First come first served. I Will order more if needed.

Check them out at:
    http://www.northwashoutfitters.com/s...&productId=194

Just placed my order. Nice lookin site Jared!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Also available, as of today, at Canyoneering USA. Table of Contents available.

http://tinyurl.com/6868rf

Tom

I finally got my hands on a copy (Kirkhams in SLC has some), wow quite a few X and XX canyons, hope no one dies this fall. Some he calls R I'd call X and some he calls X I'd call R... his ratings in canyons I've done don't seem consistent, maybe he tackled obstacles differently than I did ? One thing of note, if you use Climb-Utah for a lot of your beta and you buy Kelsey's book what Shane calls R on his site, Kelsey would call PG, most of Kelsey's R canyons would probably be X on Shane's and X's in Kelsey's are pretty serious. Like others have said most of the new canyons are in Escalante and around Robbers Roost but lots of stuff known to many of the "hard core" guys aren't in there (I was surprised there is basically nothing new in Zion besides Rock and Red Cave) so there is plenty out there to explore still. I'm stoked to check out some of the new stuff down in Escalante, many I've had on my radar to explore but now I don't have to, Kelsey did it for me... nice! September will mark the resumption of canyon season for me (haven't been since May, gotta hit the mountains while I can) excited to hit this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    I finally got my hands on a copy (Kirkhams in SLC has some)
    Was in Kirkham's today to get a copy. Their computer shows they have some in stock, but they can't find them - there weren't any on the shelves. Anywhere else in the SLC area that has them?

I've been using Kelsey's new book to put together some canyoneering trips I plan to do in the near future and I can say this for certain.... the new map format he is using really sucks.

I know we all bitched about the old map format that was hand drawn and never showed things in exactly the correct place. But the new maps are worse. It took me a while but I figured out how they were drawn... they were traced by hand over the top of the USGS maps. The problem is MK didn't use the 15 minute maps but instead used the 100K maps... the scale is riduclously small and I find then difficult to use..... I never thought I'd say this but I'm wishing for the old maps back....

Anyhoo.... I just thought I'd add that little tid-bit of a book review as this is the first time I have actually used the new book in detail..... your mileage may vary....

Attached Images Attached Images  

The maps are much much worse and harder to figure out. I think he is trying to cram too much info into an area.

i haven't seen the book, but i could not imagine a "guidebook" using maps at a scale of 100k. i couldn't give you directions to my house at 100k. i might be able to give you directions to denver though. once you hit the city limits you are on your own.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

people should take responsibility for their selves whenever playing outside. those who do no have the knowledge, skills, or discipline to make sure they have all the information they need to maximize safety will have no one but their selves to blame. taking the time to put some effort into an outing thru personal research into maps, coordinates, possible conditions, etc. is always wise. accidents can happen to ANYone, but that is not the same as not being prepared. i think his guidebooks are pretty good for what they are, a guide book, not a detailed recipe. that, for me, is what i like about them. then i can fill in the blanks and flesh it out more before heading in and make it mine.
    signature