Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snakes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thats wild. I once saw a den of water snakes like that, but there was only about 8.
    shoot straight, cast far, and hike all day.

I got these same photos in 4 DIFFERENT e-mails last week, each claiming to have been taken either near Rosamond, CA (near Edwards AFB); Tuscon, AZ; Riverton, WY; as well as here in Utah. So which one is it?

The snakes with the green tint appear to be Mojave rattlesnakes, aka "Mojave Green", which are the most poisionous snake in CA. They are aggressive and will defend their territory.

Either way..... that's one heckuva snake den!

Saw a couple of rattlers in the West Desert on May 31st when I went riding w/ BruteForce and the rest of the crew during the ATV Scramble event. First rattlers I've seen since moving here to UT, which was cool to check out.
    "All roads, all codes!"

This thread at backpacker.com claims the photo was taken near Morenci, AZ.
    http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/fo...9;t=9991105777
    Just thought I'd add another to the mix.

I went looking for this on snopes.com but came up empty.

I am such a little girl when it comes to snakes. They are my one phobia. Just seeing them on my monitor makes me cringe.

I once seen a bed of Water Snakes like this, I swear there were hundreds. I was fishing the South Fork up in Huntsville when I walked upon them all basking on rocks in the sun.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Quote Originally Posted by Redpb
    I am such a little girl when it comes to snakes. They are my one phobia. Just seeing them on my monitor makes me cringe.
    My wife is the same way. Found this guy in the yard yesterday as we were bringing in groceries. He was out of sight when my wife walked by, came out of hiding as I came up the walk, I almost stepped on him. If he had surprised her like he did me, there would have broken eggs and she would have had a panic attack. He was about 3 feet long.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    shoot straight, cast far, and hike all day.

till a year ago I lived in stansbury park, in the condos.
    the first year the bride moved in with me she freaked in the spring.
    didnt notice them in the fall, and I didnt mention them.
    hundreds of garter snakes spent the winter under my patio :D
    had a huge tree in the patio area that lifted up part of the sidewalk outside the fence. Id seen them going in and out for a few years. in the spring though they gathered on the front patio instead of outside the fence. all in the flowers, laying in the pond, on the cement laying up next to the sliding glass door.
    She HATES snakes, she freaked and was outside with kitchen tongs on a stool gathering them up to get rid of them.
    It only lasted about a week or two each spring. and they are not a bad snake to have around. rarely saw one around the house after they first started coming out though.
    I came home from work one day to find an empty styro foam container from take out the night before, with rocks on it. it had a snake or 3 in it.
    she had promised me she wouldn't kill them on purpose, but she started collecting them for me to take to the lake 200 yards or so off and let go.
    She made me get rid of the boa in the bedroom before she would move in with me, I figured she had come along way since then to agree to not kill the little ones outside. I am still not allowed to have a snake or large lizard in the house :D

whitesnake vs. brown snake:

Snake charmer uses rum remedy
    Damon Guppy

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8grvty
    Well I know that I COULD take anyone that wanted to see that shit on a drive in tooele county, and with a 50 yard walk, lead them to a den.
    I have heard of several in Tooele county. Supposedly there is a really big one straight east from Stansbury Park near some Native American glyphs.
    From what I understand, they aren't particularly uncommon, it's just rare to be in the right place at the right time.

Iv been in that area, never saw a den, but I swear! SWEAR there were several rattle snakes that got up, 3 feet high, most their body's off the ground looking around above that damned cheat grass, and I SWEAR they chased us.
    3 at first and before I got out of there 5 total.
    I try to not kill snakes, I like snakes, but if I had a pistol on me at that time, Id of blasted the bastards to pieces.
    I do hate rattle snakes :D I try to let any with no teeth and venom go on their merry way.
    I did not see any glyphs, but Id bet I was in the right area, nearly due east from adobe rock, just across the highway and slightly north of stansbury park.
    I grew up in that area (Tooele) and never had heard of any drawings or anything in those hills. Not to say they are not there, just that I never heard of em, give me a few more clues and Ill go looking for them though.

Not to say they are not there, just that I never heard of em, give me a few more clues and Ill go looking for them though.
    Do you geocache? I can get you really close and tell you where to find the exact coordinates. Go here GCNX7Z.

Check out this bad boy......... WOW. This was sent to me via e-mail with info saying it was 9 ft. 1" long, and close to 100 lbs. - located at the old Wendover military base. Don't know how true it is or not, but that is one impressive snake.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "All roads, all codes!"

That behemoth is the venerable Eastern Diamondback. It could be anywhere from Florida to the OBX, but Wendover it aint. Probably 12-15 lbs. and 7 feetish. There was a truck stop in Georgia that had one about that size in a big aquarium.
    I don't particularly fear snakes, but stumbling upon that thing in the woods I believe I might soil myself.

Quote Originally Posted by parrothead_madness
    Not to say they are not there, just that I never heard of em, give me a few more clues and Ill go looking for them though.
    Do you geocache? I can get you really close and tell you where to find the exact coordinates. Go here GCNX7Z.
    I dont! but Id like to get into it! gps purchase has been low on my list though, too much other stuff I need, like food and gas, restoring a motorhome,graduation presents for the one that just finished, plane tickets for my 2 oldest sons to hit washington to see my dad next month, and currently trying to arrange a lease on a commercial site in tooele to set up stuff that tooele has never seen.
    If that goes through in the next 3 months or so Ill be posting it on here, and give a Bogley rate.
    GS is on my list, just not at the top.
    I do know that area pretty well though, Im thinking between the coordinates and google earth, I might be able to put myself pretty damned close to it and wander around and find it.

Quote Originally Posted by parrothead_madness
    That behemoth is the venerable Eastern Diamondback. It could be anywhere from Florida to the OBX, but Wendover it aint. Probably 12-15 lbs. and 7 feetish. There was a truck stop in Georgia that had one about that size in a big aquarium.
    I don't particularly fear snakes, but stumbling upon that thing in the woods I believe I might soil myself.

And after I and after I blow brown goo in my shorts Id use my map to wipe my ass.